Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender + Tow Bar + Bike Rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
JamieJay

United Kingdom 
2020 Defender + Tow Bar + Bike Rack
Hi, new to this forum.

I would like to know the distance from towbar to past spare wheel on the new defender, to learn which options to take to put bikes off the towbar.

Does anyone have that info? The accessories on the ‘build’ tool give no real detail on these two items/or image references

VPLER0175 - Rear Mounted Spare Wheel Adaptor
VPLER0174 - Tow Bar Mounted Cycle Carrie

Was hoping a maxxraxx Explorer would work ok

Any thoughts appreciated.
Post #847231 31st Jul 2020 12:03pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I’ll measure tomorrow if I get a chance.

I have the Maxxraxx so I should be able to check for you. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #847920 3rd Aug 2020 9:54pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Here you go.

16.5 cm from the back of the ball to the farthest point back on the wheel.

Maxxraxx fit perfectly and allow you to fully open the door. 👍

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #847937 4th Aug 2020 6:29am
The_hog

Iceland 
Hi all, new here with a build in the making. What type of tires are these, Off road maybe?
Post #847990 4th Aug 2020 11:20am
Tim in Scotland

Welcome to the forum Hog

Yes, those look like Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I had a set of the 20’s fitted last week as I purchased a car from dealer stock and couldn’t spec the Off-road Pack that includes All Terrains instead of All Seasons

The standard tyre is Pirelli Scopion Zero All Season - sorry about the sideways photo, it was done with an iPhone

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #847998 4th Aug 2020 11:58am
The_hog

Iceland 
Thank you Tim in Scotland

I will be receiving my 110 S in November, so thinking of tires that can see me safely through the harsh Iceland winter.
But my main concern is, are they noisy?
I hate tire noise. Smile
Could you please elaborate.
Post #848001 4th Aug 2020 12:25pm
Tim in Scotland

They are a little more noisy than the standard tyre, but it’s hardly noticeable also fuel consumption doesn’t appear to have been adversely affected. I ran the original tyres for 1300 miles on and off road. The Duratracs are not rated as a winter tyre, they have only M+S rating and will be fine for a Scottish winter not sure about Iceland - I thought you had to run on studded tyres outside of Reykjavik in the winter? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #848003 4th Aug 2020 12:34pm
The_hog

Iceland 
Studs are widely used outside of Reykjavik, but not a requirement by law.
I have been driving heavily outside Reykjavik for the last 40 years, never used studs.
Hate them.
But not using them requires extra vigilance in some conditions.

Anyway, your set of tires are perhaps not the same as the Duratrac's that come with the "off road tires" selected in the configurator?
Post #848004 4th Aug 2020 12:50pm
Tim in Scotland

In the U.K. there are two versions of Duratrac, the difference is the speed rating but both are rated M+S not Winter.
However my insurance company was happy for me to use them as winter rubber and mine are the Q speed rating not the H.
I believe that there is another AT tyre available as OEM from the factory but checking online it also is rated M+S not winter, according to my LR Dealer the other tyre is a Pirelli AT but it’s a 19”. I didn’t want to have to store another 5 wheels and tyres in my garage along with the 3 other sets already in there which is why I replaced only the tyres and stayed with the 20” wheels that the car came with. Mine is a First Edition Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #848007 4th Aug 2020 1:22pm
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
The_hog wrote:
Studs are widely used outside of Reykjavik, but not a requirement by law.
I have been driving heavily outside Reykjavik for the last 40 years, never used studs.
Hate them.
But not using them requires extra vigilance in some conditions.

Anyway, your set of tires are perhaps not the same as the Duratrac's that come with the "off road tires" selected in the configurator?

Like you, I was wanting a dedicated M&S Winter tyre. Unfortunately JRL don't offer the option to have them due to the small number of orders they would get. I have a verbal agreement (of goodwill) with the dealer to swap the off road tyres for winter ones when its delivered. Have you ordered the locking differential and front protection plate? Many years since I drove over 1200 miles in Iceland with a Series 3 Land Rover commercial across the central highlands, a fabulous country!
Post #848010 4th Aug 2020 1:37pm
Tim in Scotland

Mine has the accessory front protection plate,

Click image to enlarge

On another topic, I worked for the Icelandic shipping company Eimskip for 3 years trading from Iceland to East Coast USA on a small container ship, I spent a summer vacation in one of the seaman’s union farm houses but didn’t have my `defender there with me. A trip with the new one is on my bucket list. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #848018 4th Aug 2020 2:43pm
The_hog

Iceland 
Not sure I need the diff lock, but still contemplating. Protection plate is a must. Anyway Iceland is a must go for you UK Defender Guys and Gals.
Post #848038 4th Aug 2020 4:19pm
Tim in Scotland

I had the rear e-diff on my last RRS, it made a significant difference in wet, muddy, slippery conditions and meant I was able to off-road on 22” road biased Pirelli Assymetrico pure road tyres. I wanted it for the new car but the dealer only had one car in stock with the off-road pack but not in a spec that I wanted as the car had no factory fitted security system Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #848051 4th Aug 2020 5:54pm
JamieJay

United Kingdom 
Hi alantd,

That was brilliant, thank you for the measurements, really appreciated.
Post #848066 4th Aug 2020 7:13pm
orled

I measured from centre of electrically deployed tow ball to vertical bar of Thule Velospace XT3 as 24cms
This provides 1-2 cms clearance from official LR spare wheel cover
The rack is appropriate for heavier eBikes and only uses the 2 rear most slots of the 3 available on rack
Additional Thule adaptor 9394 is required to avoid the spare wheel
Photos to follow
Post #848280 5th Aug 2020 7:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>