↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 50 of 50 <123 ... 484950
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Volume Control Valve (VCV)

My 110 went to Challenger 4x4 for its annual service today and whilst there, I had them change the VCV. Not because of a specific problem but seeing as they seem to fail with monotonous regularity, I've decided to treat it as a service item. I was surprised when they told me that whilst they'd changed several on 2.4's, they'd never done a 2.2 before. They described it as 'a Censored of a job', which made me pleased that I'd paid for somebody else to do it Laughing

I supplied the new valve, as I'd bought one from somebody on here a couple of years ago, which was a Ford part:

Click image to enlarge

The old one that came out after 61k miles looked exactly the same but grubbier:

Click image to enlarge

Now despite saying that I had this changed as a precaution rather than because of a problem, I'd swear that it now feels more responsive. I suspect that these things wear as they age and so become less effective, but as it happens slowly we just get used to it. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Post #927261 26th Oct 2021 8:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

Ignition Switch

Back in April I noticed that every now and again, my Defender wouldn’t start. It was just completely dead but turning off and on again solved it. At first, I thought I’d just fumbled turning the key but after a few failed starts over several weeks, it became apparent that it was an actual fault. Having already read a few threads on the subject, I was pretty sure that it was a failing ignition switch and so a new switch, clamp and shear bolts were bought and stashed away.

Click image to enlarge

The fault has been very intermittent ever since and always resolved on the second try, so tackling it has always been a job for another day. This was mainly because it’s a sod of a job on a Puma, with very limited access. However, I came to start it on Friday evening after having not used it for a couple of weeks and it just wouldn’t start at all, so today was the day to bite the bullet and get on with it.

The first job was to remove enough trim to actually see the thing – steering column cowl and the trim piece beneath the instrument cluster:

Click image to enlarge

At this point, you can see the ignition barrel, but that’s about it. I then removed the stalks and pushed the wiring aside to reveal the clamp that secures the barrel to the steering column:

Click image to enlarge

A little while ago, this task was well documented HERE by X4SKP, which is why I knew it was going to be tricky. He carefully teased out the shear bolts with a punch and strategically drilled holes in the trim but I chose a slightly different approach. I figured that if I could cut through the barrel clamp then it should come apart easier and so I attacked it with a cutting disk in a Dremel:

Click image to enlarge

In wasn’t quite as straightforward as I’d hoped but it did eventually give up with a bit of perseverance (and a hammer and chisel).

Click image to enlarge

With the clamp removed, the barrel was free to be lifted off the steering column. It still wouldn’t come out though, as there’s not enough clearance between it and the plastic of the dash behind. Again, it was the Dremel to the rescue and enough was cut away to create the space needed:

Click image to enlarge

At that point, I was finally able to get the barrel out far enough to access the switch on the end. This is secured with two tiny Philips screws. What was immediately apparent was the clear evidence of heat on one of the cables:

Click image to enlarge

In fact, the spade that it was connected to snapped off very easily, so I suspect that it’d been fatigued and created a high resistance.

With the difficult stuff out of the way, the new switch was installed and the barrel replaced using a new clamp. I decided to go with regular M8 cap head bolts rather than shear bolts on the basis that it’s so bloomin’ difficult to get to that their loss isn’t significant:

Click image to enlarge

Before putting it all back together I did give it a test and it fired up straight away, which was a relief.

Finally, I took the old switch apart but was disappointed that there was no obvious smoking gun. Everything was well greased and there was no sign of any burnt contacts, which was what I was expecting. Perhaps it was the fractured spade connector after all.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #933318 12th Dec 2021 8:20pm
L110CDL

England 

Great write up as ever Darren, i to would of thought it being the ignition barrel but that spade connecter does not look good at all Shocked 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.

Post #933599 14th Dec 2021 8:42pm
Mitch16

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey

Thank you for the continual updates and detail, I really appreciate it.

Post #937622 13th Jan 2022 9:33pm
LandRoverAnorak

No problem, Mitch. It's all good fun but there's not much happeing at the moment as it's too bloomin' cold and wet. Plus working at home means I'm hardly driving it, either Rolling Eyes Darren

Post #937769 14th Jan 2022 9:12pm
freddie206

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 HT Belize Green

What a great read on a gloomy Sunday evening! So many great ideas!

Have you had chance to fit the front washer jet from Design & Development yet? Keen to hear how it stacks up compared the likes of CSI and Optimill.

Fred

Post #938004 16th Jan 2022 10:10pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hi Fred,

Not yet, I'm afraid. It's definitely coming soon as I've got a list of jobs to do that needs the centre console taking out. I just haven't had a day where the weather has been warm enough to motivate me yet Smile Darren

Post #938033 17th Jan 2022 10:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 50 of 50 <123 ... 484950