↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > An Anorak's Expedition Trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Door Stays Revisited
So, I realised a few days ago that I'd made a rookie error with the stay for the fridge compartment door. Whilst I'd carefully allowed for the width of the fridge slide when determining the fixed position for the door, I'd forgotten to test for when the lid of the fridge was open. Of course, it didn't work Rolling Eyes

Today I set about fixing that mistake. With the fridge out and open, I marked where the stay clashed with the lid. I then put a kink in the stay so that it would pass over the top:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I also had to turn the keep bracket over to allow for the now higher line of the stay:

Click image to enlarge

Fortunately, with a slight tweak of the angle, the retaining clip on the door still worked:

Click image to enlarge

At least I didn't have to drill any new holes Embarassed Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 3rd May 2022 7:42am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #927005 24th Oct 2021 8:59pm
L110CDL

England 
Always a bonus not having to drill more holes Darren and at least you found the error now and not later when it was to late Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #927418 27th Oct 2021 8:06pm
LandRoverAnorak

The need for a positioning move gave me an excuse to hitch the trailer to my Defender today, which of course, was also an excuse for some pictures Cool Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It was also the first serious use of my Safari Equip receiver hitch and my NATO hitch, which was fun.

The combination does place the hitch slightly lower than originally intended, which gives the trailer a nose down attitude. It's not unduly so though, and it tows very well. It's not a light trailer and you're definitely aware that it's there - much more so than with the D4!

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #929767 14th Nov 2021 10:25pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Re: Discovery Wheels and Adapters

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hello LRA Darren

Something worth checking...

I have these wheel spacers fitted to my Defender, they are supplied from Rakeway (IMO excellent).

The Spacers (almost certainly) have a central hub diameter of 70mm and there is a Spigot Adaptor Kit
if required to increase this to 72.5 (edit correction) to ensure Hub Centric Fitting of your chosen Wheel.

I needed this Adaptor Kit as have Range Rover SRX Wheels Fitted.

The Standard 70mm Hub takes Discovery Wheels up to Disco 2 / 1994
The adaptor Kit allows Discovery 3 Wheels (onwards I believe) to be fitted.

Your Spacer looks to be a Standard at 70mm... as I say worth checking to ensure you have Hub Centric Wheels
on your new Trailer (Very nice by the way... Thumbs Up )

Click image to enlarge

Link here...
http://www.rakeway.co.uk/page29.html

Good Luck... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html

Last edited by X4SKP on 15th Nov 2021 10:21pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #929791 15th Nov 2021 9:28am
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks, Skip. The trailer spacers look to be slightly different from the ones in your picture, with a flute to the base of the spigot but I'll whip one of the wheels off and have a measure, when I get a minute.

With regards the measurement, do you mean 74mm or 72.5mm? The Rakeway page seems to suggest that it's the latter for Discovery 3 wheels? Darren

Post #929900 15th Nov 2021 8:50pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Trailer looks huge hitched up behind our 110........

Never appreciated the scale
Post #929901 15th Nov 2021 8:53pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, it is pretty big. The body is 2.4m long and 1.6m wide. Darren

Post #929904 15th Nov 2021 9:23pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Thanks, Skip…..With regards the measurement, do you mean 74mm or 72.5mm? The Rakeway page seems to suggest that it's the latter for Discovery 3 wheels?

Yes you’re right Embarassed …. I needed 72.5mm Thumbs Up
Measure your ‘swap over’ wheel options against what is probably a 70.0mm hub spacer. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #929910 15th Nov 2021 10:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks for the confirmation. It might be a while now but I'll take a look when I get chance. Darren

Post #929925 16th Nov 2021 8:24am
LandRoverAnorak

Good weather and a week’s holiday has finally seen a flurry of activity on the trailer!

The first job was to cure some leaks in the roof. In its original configuration, the trailer was fitted with a smaller roof tent and a large solar panel on the front part of the roof. When the tent was changed, the solar panel was removed and the mounting holes were filled with either globs of silicon or nuts and bolts, neither of which were brilliant at keeping the rain out. I cleaned up the holes and made some patches from 2mm thick plastic, which were secured in place with Sikaflex:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Despite only three patches being shown, there were four sets of holes.

Click image to enlarge

I finally fitted the missing spring clip to retain the stay to the rear door and, whilst I had the Sikaflex out, filled all of the holes in this and the fridge locker door where various stuff has been removed:

Click image to enlarge

A relatively easy job (but see below) was to remove the jerry can holders (and the A frame cover), which I took to be shot blasted:

Click image to enlarge

These will be repainted shortly but first I need to drill some drainage holes in the bases, as they tend to hold water and have rusted the bottoms of the jerry cans.

I also found time to take a pair of Boost alloys (acquired from Bluebottle of this parish) to be refurbished and painted to match those on my 110:

Click image to enlarge

More to follow... Very Happy Darren

Post #950355 24th Apr 2022 5:25pm
LandRoverAnorak

Kitchen - Repair and Reconstruction
Whilst removing the jerry can holders I realised that two of the bolts for the nearside one were concealed under the sink and so I set about removing it. This though, revealed a host of hidden problems, the fixing of which has occupied most of the week!

With the sink out of the way, it was immediately obvious that the edges of the worktop surrounding it (offcuts of the same material used for the trailer body) had not been sealed properly and had suffered from water ingress:

Click image to enlarge

Similarly, the wheel box construction featured a number of cut edges that hadn’t been protected:

Click image to enlarge

Also, there was a mass of pipes and wiring that were just laying loose on the floor:

Click image to enlarge

The wiring served all sorts of stuff higher up in the kitchen or on the body exterior and had been run under the waste tank and up in a corner of the kitchen worktop, which was one of the main causes of water damage. It was a right mess and so I stripped the whole lot out:

Click image to enlarge

The wiring had more joints than a hippy convention and is definitely not how I would have done it. Most will eventually be reinstalled but will be re-routed at roof level so as to not compromise the seal around the sink.

What remained was cleaned, straightened and securely clipped in place. The only thing missing from this area now is the wiring to the gas solenoid, but as that will need rethinking from scratch that’s a job for another day:

Click image to enlarge

The solenoid itself was just lying loose on its side, so I turned it vertical to create some space and wrapped some foam around it to give it a bit of protection:

Click image to enlarge

At this point I decided to take out the waste tank to see what was underneath. I was glad that I did as apart from two tiny blocks of wood under the rear corners, I discovered that it was basically just sitting on the gas and water pipework, and was jammed up against the back of the external BBQ point. There was also some corrosion where the copper gas pipe was resting on the aluminium framing:

Click image to enlarge

The water pipework was crying out for a couple of 90 degree bends but I didn’t have any to hand and so I made a natty little mount to secure them. As you’ll see later though, I didn’t use it in the end as space is very tight and it didn’t suit the tap flexipipes.

There was a mains socket on the back of the body and again the cable ran underneath the waste tank. I wasn’t happy with this arrangement and so I’ve taken the socket out and plugged the holes. I may re-provide the socket elsewhere at some point, away from the sink, but it’s not essential.

Whilst everything was removed, I trimmed the edges of the wheel box with plastic angle stuck on with Sikaflex, which involved properly countersinking and reinstalling some of the screws holding it all together:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I made some proper bearers for the waste tank with offcuts from the old worktop. Again, these were stuck in place with Sikaflex and the exposed edges were treated with waterproof PVA glue:

Click image to enlarge

The copper gas pipe is really too long but as the job had already snowballed, I didn’t want to add more work by altering it at this stage. I clipped it in place though, and protected it from rubbing on the aluminium framing by wrapping sections in stickyback foam.

With the tank back in place, there was now plenty of clearance for the pipes to pass underneath without fear of damage:

Click image to enlarge

With the tank now sitting square, it was no longer jammed against the BBQ point at the front and so I made a couple of simple wedges to hold it in place:

Click image to enlarge

New worktop was fashioned from some UPVC faced facia board that I had kicking around, which had the advantage of a nice finished edge. There was a fair degree of fettling to make these fit as the material is slightly thicker than the original but once siliconed in, made for a very neat finish:

Click image to enlarge

I also included an aluminium lip to the rear to support the back of the sink unit. Originally, it was just wedged in and not supported at all along that edge. Before the sink is properly fitted, I’ll protect that lip with some duct tape to form a barrier between the ali and stainless.

The sink unit itself has been treated to a new gas hose for the hob. One of the neat details that was already included here is a quick release fitting, so at least the unit can be removed without faffing with the gas pipework.

I’ve made a neoprene collar seal for the waste, which gets compressed against the edge of the hole in the top of the waste tank:

Click image to enlarge

Although it has been test fitted, I haven’t properly refitted the sink yet as I still need to get to the fixing points for the jerry can holder that were the start of this whole saga! Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 22nd May 2022 3:46pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #950358 24th Apr 2022 5:46pm
LandRoverAnorak

Wheel Arches Pt 1 - Preparation
One of the jobs that I knew would need doing as soon as I saw the trailer was sorting out of the wheel arches, as I could see lots of exposed cut edges that hadn’t been properly sealed. The wheel arches used cut down Defender spats set into arch-shaped cut outs in the side panels and behind that are wheel boxes formed of the same GRP plywood material as the rest of the body:

Click image to enlarge

With the Defender spats removed the extent of the moisture damage was apparent, as the lower edge was decidedly spongy:

Click image to enlarge

My solution was to cut the panels square to receive aluminium trim and then fit plastic wheel arch liners. I did a similar thing with my old Sankey trailer to protect the metal tub:

Click image to enlarge

After much checking and measuring, I used a jig saw to carefully cut out the panels to match the shape of the wheel boxes:

Click image to enlarge

Then, after much more measuring, cutting and fettling, I made a kit of aluminium parts to trim the new edges:

Click image to enlarge

These were fitted both with Sikaflex and some screws to hold them in position. Whilst these aren’t made from the same profiles as the rest of the body, being just simple angle, they are the same size and thickness and so don’t look out of place:

Click image to enlarge

The trim parts for the offside were quite complicated as that side of the trailer is ‘busy’ with various locker edges in close proximity. The ones for the nearside were much easier to make:

Click image to enlarge

The next job will be to fit the plastic wheel arches. To be continued... Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 3rd Sep 2022 2:49pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #950359 24th Apr 2022 6:02pm
LandRoverAnorak

Awning Bracket Pin
Whilst other stuff is still in the works, I had time for a very minor upgrade this evening. The Foxwing awning is mounted on two very nicely made, hinged aluminium brackets that allow it to lie flat on the roof whilst travelling and then be lifted upright when pitched. It's secured in each position by a padlock on one bracket and an 8mm diameter pin secured with a tiny R clip on the other:

Click image to enlarge

The R clip is quite fiddly and as it's not tethered, easy to loose and so I've replaced the pin with a new one that has an integral spring retaining loop:

Click image to enlarge

Nice and simple Very Happy Darren

Post #950928 28th Apr 2022 9:50pm
LandRoverAnorak

Collected my Defender wheels on Friday and very nice they look, too Cool They only slight snag is that they've been fitted with the white lettering on the outside Shocked Completely forgot to tell the wheel place what I wanted, so I may have to get busy with a black tyre pen...

Click image to enlarge

They'll be swapped over onto the trailer soon, as it looks like its first proper use will be behind my 110 to Land Rover Legends in June. Darren

Post #951225 1st May 2022 3:39pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Are your Foxwing brackets things you had custom-made, or are they a commercial product? If the latter, may I ask where you bought them?
Post #951227 1st May 2022 3:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 10 <12345678910>