↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > An Anorak's Expedition Trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Jerry Can Holders
The trailer came equipped with three jerry can holders - one on the front and two on the back - that were fabricated from thick, aluminium chequer plate. They'd been painted black and were starting to look a bit scruffy but I also noticed that they were trapping water on their bases and causing the metal jerry cans to rust. So, a bit of a refurb and modification was in order.

As mentioned a few posts ago, having removed the latches, I took them to be shot blasted to remove all of the old paint. I use a really good company called Aurora Powder Coatings in Aldershot for this:

Click image to enlarge

I then drilled some drainage holes in the bases, two large and two small, before etch priming, regular priming and finishing with enamel paint. I added some rubber pads made from offcuts of ribbed matting and reinstalled the latches to end up with this:

Click image to enlarge

Oh, I also ground off the chequer pattern from the cross bar to create a flat surface for the upper rubber pad to be fixed to, which is done with contact adhesive.

Between the drilling and grinding, I've probably added quite a lot of lightness to these things Laughing

The latches and their fixing bolts are stainless and there was a fair amount of corrosion where they were in contact with the aluminium. I didn't want to just rely on the paint for protection and so after cleaning up, I added a neoprene gasket to the rear of the latches and plastic washers to the bolts to separate them:

Click image to enlarge

I'm not yet sure whether I'll be re-fitting the front carrier and so I've only treated the two rear ones so far:

Click image to enlarge

When I removed them from the trailer, there was nine years worth of crud that had built up in the joint between each holder and the body and so I've made some 6mm plastic spacers to re-fit them with:

Click image to enlarge

I hope to re-fit them to the trailer tomorrow Very Happy Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #951229 1st May 2022 4:15pm
LandRoverAnorak

And today they got bolted back on. First though, I fixed the spacers to the rear of the holders with a couple of dabs of superglue, just to save having to juggle them during the fitting process:

Click image to enlarge

They've been deliberately fitted in a 'diamond' pattern so that if any water gets to them, it can easily flow away.

The first one back in place with new stainless bolts, as the originals weren't long enough anymore, separated from the aluminium with nylon washers:

Click image to enlarge

And both mounted with the jerry cans:

Click image to enlarge

They'll need to be re-painted in due course Rolling Eyes Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #951398 2nd May 2022 7:46pm
LandRoverAnorak

blackwolf wrote:
Are your Foxwing brackets things you had custom-made, or are they a commercial product? If the latter, may I ask where you bought them?

Sorry Blackwolf, missed this one: the brackets came with the trailer and I believe were custom made. Darren

Post #951423 3rd May 2022 8:08am
L110CDL

England 
Great job done there Darren, as always a pleasure to read Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #951820 6th May 2022 7:44pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
Are your Foxwing brackets things you had custom-made, or are they a commercial product? If the latter, may I ask where you bought them?

Sorry Blackwolf, missed this one: the brackets came with the trailer and I believe were custom made.

Shame, they are exactly the sort of thing I want for mine!
Post #951833 6th May 2022 8:47pm
LandRoverAnorak

Wheel Arches Pt 2 - Installation
Over the last few days I’ve been fitting plastic wheel arches within the newly trimmed openings in the trailer sides. The arches themselves are made by a company called Jonesco, product number VG22A, and were bought via eBay. They’re the smallest in their product range and intended for use with a twin wheel, tipper bodied Transit or Sprinter:

Click image to enlarge

On paper at least, they are the same as those I used for my last Sankey trailer shown above. I discovered early on though that the mouldings are slightly different in that they enclose more than 180 degrees of the tyre. The earlier ones were exactly 180 degree and slightly easier to fit as a result although whilst looking up the details of that exercise, I’ve realised that it was nearly nine years ago Shocked

Anyway, the first task was to cut them down to the correct width. Because I plan to run the trailer with both D4 and Defender wheels, I needed to work out how far out the arches needed to project for each case. With two lengths of wood across the outside wheel faces, I measured the overall width of the trailer on its current D4 wheels at 1800mm whilst my 110, which will be the same as the trailer with Defender wheels, was hardly different at 1790mm. Just for comparison, I also measured my wifes’ D4, which was 1850mm.

I did have half an idea to make the width of the arches adjustable – effectively to slide in and out – but as the overall widths of the two different wheels was so close, it wasn’t necessary. I just made them as tight a fit to the width with the D4 wheels as I could, knowing that the Defender wheels would be well covered, too.

The arches were measured and marked, including using bits of string to find the centreline:

Click image to enlarge

And this is what I ended up with:

Click image to enlarge

After they are cut (with tin snips as they give a nice clean edge) they lose some of their ability to hold their shape and so reinforcing plates were fashioned from 25 x 2mm aluminium flat bar as part of the mounting arrangements:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The two lengths of black nylon in the first of those pictures is a spacer for the top mount. This is partly for aesthetics as I found the arches look better if not obviously clamped tightly to the body, but also to overcome a step in the underside of the wheelboxes formed by the aluminium framing. To cut the required shape from the nylon I turned my pillar drill into a crude milling machine with a milling bit and the downward travel restricted to achieve the correct height of material to remove.

There were also brackets required to form attachment points on the underside of the body, formed of 20 x 36 x 1.5mm aluminium angle:

Click image to enlarge

When I came to fit the latter, I realised that there was a clash with the outlet for the warm air heater and so had to modify one of them slightly Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

The final components were some joining pieces formed of 5mm thick rubber sheet for attaching the lower part of each arch to the body mounts. Rubber was chosen for these as it’s flexible enough to attach to the curved wheel arch without any complicated shaping and to withstand any impacts without breaking. There were two of these on each side:

Click image to enlarge

The top mounts comprised two M8 stainless bolts that were drilled through the top of each wheel box. I countersunk the heads into the top surface, partly so as not to interfere with the use of that surface in the wardrobe and partly to avoid a clash with the LH sink support in the kitchen:

Click image to enlarge

The lower body mounts were fixed to the bottom edges of each wheelbox with stainless screws isolated with nylon washers. You can see in this picture the amount of muck that gets thrown up onto the underside of the body, which the new arches will avoid:

Click image to enlarge

After that, it was just a case of marking and drilling both the wheel arches and the rubber mounts. They were then bolted all together with M6 button head stainless bolts and a variety of stainless and nylon washers to end up with this:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The extra curvature that I mentioned at the beginning does mean that they look a little bit ‘pinched’ at the bottom corners and I may trim them off slightly in due course.

The arches protrude about 60mm from the body on each side and are very flush with the outside faces of the D4 wheels:

Click image to enlarge

Overall, I’m really pleased with this modification as the new arches will provide a lot more protection to the underside of the body. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 3rd Sep 2022 2:50pm. Edited 5 times in total
Post #952331 11th May 2022 10:13pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I like, Anorak.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #952332 11th May 2022 10:40pm
LandRoverAnorak

Heh, heh, thanks Smile Darren

Post #952340 12th May 2022 7:22am
L110CDL

England 
Good read, Darren and a very nice job you have done with the arches Very Happy

Are you going to fill in the area's above the arches in time ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #952409 12th May 2022 7:59pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Clayton. I've no plans to infill the gaps, to be honest. Form follows function, and all that. Darren

Post #952414 12th May 2022 8:12pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks and i know what you mean Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #952416 12th May 2022 8:20pm
LandRoverAnorak

Jerry Can Holder - Hidden Details
Whilst I'm still partway through rebuilding the kitchen, my thoughts have also turned to a longer term plan to change the colour of the trailer, possibly by a wrap. To do so, it would be necessary to remove a lot of the external fittings but it occurred to me that once the sink is reinstated, the bottom fixings for the jerry can holder on that side will be inaccessible again.

I needed to make the bottom two fixings removable from the outside only and as I couldn't find anything off the shelf, I made a couple of what I'm calling 'nut plates':

Click image to enlarge

These are 50 x 30mm rectangles of 3mm aluminium, drilled to accept an M6 rivnut countersunk in the centre and four No.8 stainless screws in the corners. These are to replace the regular nuts on the undersink fixings so that the bottom bolts securing the jerry can holder can then just be undone from outside:

Click image to enlarge

It's almost a shame that they won't remain visible Laughing Darren

Post #952812 17th May 2022 9:12pm
L110CDL

England 
Good that you had that thought before and not after, good idea with sorting the problem out, Darren Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #952898 18th May 2022 8:00pm
LandRoverAnorak

Heater Pipe Cap Lanyard
Thanks, Clayton Smile

I attended to another little detail this evening, which is probably overkill but puts my mind at rest. On the rear right hand corner of the body is a vertical plastic pipe that serves as a duct for getting warm air up to the tent. To keep the rain out when not in use, it has a rubbery cap that's a snug fit in the top. My first thought when I saw it was "I'm going to loose that", either by forgetting it or not fitting it properly and it being blown off on the road. Now this thing is 9 years old and has obviously been fine for all of that time but if it did disappear then I've no idea where I'd get a replacement. Anyway, it's been nagging me and so I've made a lanyard for it:

Click image to enlarge

This comprises a mounting tag made from a scrap of ali, a cable made of a complete loop of 1mm stainless wire threaded through some heat shrink and an M5 stainless eye bolt fixed through the centre of the cap.

The mounting tag is fixed to an existing bolt that secures the pipe to the trailer body and if the cap is removed it can just hang there rather than me trying to remember where I've put the damn thing!

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #952912 18th May 2022 8:31pm
L110CDL

England 
That would be my thinking as well, liking the lanyard Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #952921 18th May 2022 9:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>