Home > Off Topic > weight limit on a recovery truck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
kenzle8a

Rashers wrote:
Supacat wrote:
lord-haggis wrote:
given how tight farming budgets were then if we could have gone down the fast trac route we would have.

This bloke still can't afford a few straps...

Click image to enlarge

Norfolk & Suffolk Roads and Armed Policing Team (@NSRAPT) Tweeted:
#RCRT & #RAPT have been #A47 #A11 this week on #OpTramline There have been some shocking stops on vehicle loads. There should be more than just gravity holding loads onto vehicles. #RoadSafety #TOR #190/845/others https://t.co/LjKN0VOGPo https://twitter.com/NSRAPT/status/1433862866013143041?s=20

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't farmers get a 100% allowance for farm machinery (to a limit) to offset against tax?

Normal for Norfolk Rolling Eyes

I see this all the time this time of year. They do strap large square bales but only across and never front to back. If Norfolk Police are surprised by this kind of thing, they have had their eyes shut for years. I have never seen round bales strapped or tied.

Sadly it will be the Farm Labourer driving the tractor getting the wrap, not the Farm Manager / Owner. I am right, that an insecure load is the drivers responsibility ??

We never bother with bailing we just use a shredder on the combine, it was to deter the local children from trying to set the straw on fire as it came out the back of the combine, shredded straw at 100mph tends to put them off trying to get near…
Post #920585 8th Sep 2021 7:44pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Rashers wrote:

Sadly it will be the Farm Labourer driving the tractor getting the wrap, not the Farm Manager / Owner. I am right, that an insecure load is the drivers responsibility ??

It is generally the drivers responsibility if a vehicle is stopped for a check, however, the HSE have started to take a keen interest in safe loading due to the number of injuries occurring off the highway at depots, farms etc when insecure loads fall during the loading and unloading process. The HSE take a much broader view of who might be responsible. They have also been working to remind operators that road traffic law actually states that responsibility falls on anyone who causes or permits a vehicle to travel in an unsafe condition, not just the driver. If the boss tells the driver not to strap the load, the boss bears some of responsibility if the load falls and kills someone. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #920593 8th Sep 2021 8:01pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
But Bluest, if the Police stop a vehicle as above, and no one (hopefully) gets injured or killed, the HSE would never get involved and it will be the Drivers problem and licence?

I agree lord-haggis, some little low life's love to see straw burns. It is a nightmare for the fire brigade when they torch stacks as they are usually nowhere near a hydrant and getting water to put the fire out is a challenge.

Farm arson (and theft come to that) are rural crimes that often go un-solved. Large areas with few people, no witnesses. It costs millions. The GPS units seem to be the go-to item to steal around our way.
Post #920601 8th Sep 2021 8:14pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Generally speaking yes, the driver will take the blame. However, there are mechanism in place for the police to share intelligence on bad operators, which might prompt a HSE/LA inspection of premises. It would not be the usual course of action though for a run of the mill problem. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #920643 9th Sep 2021 7:00am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Mdm wrote:
the landy above would fail as you need to have the extra links and hooks at the base of the tyre on both sides.

Yes, that was my concern as well the front left one looking close to falling off.
Post #920689 9th Sep 2021 11:52am
RDR

United Kingdom 
We needed recovering a couple of weeks ago in Mrs RDRs vw ID3 due to a puncture no spare or repair kit as it’s on self repairing tyres which didn't self repair. Anyway turned into a right debacle taking 7 hrs to get recovered as first flatbed couldn’t take us due the cars weight. He said EVs are proving a right pain as they need the bigger trucks. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #920747 9th Sep 2021 7:59pm
kenzle8a

Rashers wrote:

I agree lord-haggis, some little low life's love to see straw burns. It is a nightmare for the fire brigade when they torch stacks as they are usually nowhere near a hydrant and getting water to put the fire out is a challenge.

Farm arson (and theft come to that) are rural crimes that often go un-solved. Large areas with few people, no witnesses. It costs millions. The GPS units seem to be the go-to item to steal around our way.

I’m glad we’re nearly finished with the farming, 350 years of family farming, the last 50 being the best and worst, there’s just no money in it anymore. The arson where our farm is was constant, we couldn’t keep animals as we couldn’t get insurance if we kept hay, we had three large barns torched one in the 70s, one the 90s and the last one in 2006. They also torched the 1st chemical shed we had, two day toxic fire requiring the building spray sealed with concrete. My wife wonders why i can’t drive a normal car, when i learned to drive in a combine harvester…
Post #920762 9th Sep 2021 8:58pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
DVSA or whatever they are called this week would have a field day with most motorhomes, they are mostly built with very small payloads and people cram every last cupboard with crap. I have a huge ‘garage’ on mine but it’s slung out about 3 feet behind my rear wheels. I only put light stuff in there and a couple of chairs but you see some that are loaded full of beer, food, bikes, water, you name it, it’s in there. No way are they legal.

My in-laws were terrible for overloading their MH, then they would have all sorts of crap on the dashboard, crap hanging from the rear view mirror, stickers on the windscreen.

I’d guess 80% of MH are overweight, either gross or on their rear axle.
Post #927765 30th Oct 2021 1:24am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Are there exemptions for operator licensing if trailers are only being used for short distances in the same way there are for tachos?

I would imagine there are a lot of people that don't realise they're overloaded or over speed limits. And a lot more that don't care. The number of times you get overtaken by a Ford Ranger doing 70 on a dual carriageway, often towing a trailer... The newer base spec manual 2.0 I think falls in to the DPV category but I don't think any of the other double cabs do.
Post #928571 4th Nov 2021 11:50pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
O license isn't required when the towing vehicle is a 4x4. Tacho still needed for commercial use but almost nobody complies. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #929312 10th Nov 2021 1:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Johnny Wright

crap truck is your answer,

But now proper 3.5 transporters used by the professionals carry that car no problem, As with phones tv, Broadband etc Things move on. As with all the examples ive just mentioned the old version of it was crap and not really capable of it but we still all used it.

3.5 Transporters now can easily, Safely, Legally carry probably 60% of cars if not more.. And their drivers wouldnt attemp to carry anything more, They dont need to,

Just avoid the numpties that would book a 3.5 old, Rusty, scrap looking transporter as one person showed off above. to collect their 2 tonne car to save £20, they are the danger.

Its all common sense nothing more.
Post #978110 14th Jan 2023 11:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
22900013A wrote:
O license isn't required when the towing vehicle is a 4x4. Tacho still needed for commercial use but almost nobody complies.

From memory it has to be a dual-purpose vehicle, not just a 4x4.
Post #978152 15th Jan 2023 10:39am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Yes, DPV, as we discussed on this thread a couple of years ago Wink 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #978186 15th Jan 2023 2:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A thread as good as this deserved to be resurrected! Rolling with laughter
Post #978249 15th Jan 2023 7:59pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
blackwolf wrote:
22900013A wrote:
O license isn't required when the towing vehicle is a 4x4. Tacho still needed for commercial use but almost nobody complies.

From memory it has to be a dual-purpose vehicle, not just a 4x4.

James Bond had a Lotus Esprit that travelled on land and acted like a submarine underwater. Would that be one of these dual purpose vehicles you talk about, blackwolf, and if so, where would you fit the tow bar Rolling with laughter
Post #978255 15th Jan 2023 8:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>