Home > Puma (Tdci) > Hello & Security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BowlOfPetunias

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Hello & Security
Hi Everyone,

New first-time Defender owner here, having literally spent 10 years umming and aaahing about buying one, I've finally taken the plunge on a 2008 90 XS - here begins the fun!!! (gulp).

My first priority is security, I've had a number of countermeasures installed for me by the independent dealer I purchased the car through, one example would be security bonnet hinges (I won't list them all for obvious reasons). My next step was going to be a Disklok - however sods law, they don't seem to exist anywhere in the UK at the moment owing to the manufacturing delays we're currently seeing in so many sectors and product lines.

I'd really like to do something, as I don't want to be in a position where say I'm leaving my car unattended in a public place for a period of time and it doesn't have some visible deterrents that could sway at least an opportunistic thief - it just seems like tempting fate / asking for trouble.

Plan B in lieu of Disklock availability may have to be a removable steering wheel/boss and locking boss cover, but does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations they could make?

Thanks!
Post #923372 29th Sep 2021 12:00pm
BowlOfPetunias

edit - thought I'd found a Disklok in stock, but it's actually a pre-order - back to the drawing board!!
Post #923375 29th Sep 2021 12:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
There's lots and lots about security on the forum - the search function is your friend - and you can see some of the more obvious steps that I've taken in my build thread here:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic60413.html

The one thing that a lot of people will recommend is a removable steering wheel using the kit from Optimill (removable boss and lock) as both a visual and physical deterrent. It's all about layers though, to make yours a less appealing target than the next one. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #923382 29th Sep 2021 1:01pm
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
For quick and simple / do it yourself / no mods - I started off with a pedal lock (ardcase or similar) before I upgraded to removable steering wheel and locking boss.
With a bit of practice you can get a pedal lock on (and off) in around 5 seconds, it's pretty chunky so would stow it safely.
Visible to someone peering in looking for an easy steal and I'm sure awkward enough to slow most Censored down for some valuable minutes.
Still use mine if I'm leaving it somewhere for more than a few mins.
Post #923384 29th Sep 2021 1:03pm
gcc130

Disclocks come up second hand fairly frequently both on here and eBay, just make sure it has all the keys.
You will need a large but the medium will also fit if you remove the packing foam.
Post #923386 29th Sep 2021 1:05pm
BowlOfPetunias

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
There's lots and lots about security on the forum - the search function is your friend - and you can see some of the more obvious steps that I've taken in my build thread here:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic60413.html

The one thing that a lot of people will recommend is a removable steering wheel using the kit from Optimill (removable boss and lock) as both a visual and physical deterrent. It's all about layers though, to make yours a less appealing target than the next one.

Thank you - that build thread is incredible!

I'm the same as you - I have no issue with the stock wheel per-se and would rather keep the OEM look as much as possible, the Moto-Lita would probably be my second preference. It's a real shame there's no quick-release boss that can accept the standard wheel(s).

Last edited by BowlOfPetunias on 29th Sep 2021 2:00pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #923402 29th Sep 2021 1:57pm
BowlOfPetunias

Landymatt wrote:
For quick and simple / do it yourself / no mods - I started off with a pedal lock (ardcase or similar) before I upgraded to removable steering wheel and locking boss.
With a bit of practice you can get a pedal lock on (and off) in around 5 seconds, it's pretty chunky so would stow it safely.
Visible to someone peering in looking for an easy steal and I'm sure awkward enough to slow most Censored down for some valuable minutes.
Still use mine if I'm leaving it somewhere for more than a few mins.

Thank you! I'd looked at the Ardcase' so will see if I can find one of those in stock as a starter for 10.
Post #923403 29th Sep 2021 1:58pm
BowlOfPetunias

gcc130 wrote:
Disclocks come up second hand fairly frequently both on here and eBay, just make sure it has all the keys.
You will need a large but the medium will also fit if you remove the packing foam.

Good call - might pop a wanted ad in the classifieds
Post #923404 29th Sep 2021 1:58pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Welcome to Defender ownership and the best Defender forum Thumbs Up

You're right in saying security is a must. But you're in the right place to get lots of ideas.

We also like photos and hearing if you have any plans or keeping standard? Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #923407 29th Sep 2021 2:04pm
BowlOfPetunias

I can most certainly do pics!

Plans are to keep it mainly standard - a few comfort modifications such as maybe a double-din stereo to get Apple Carplay in there - but even that could just become a replacement single-DIN head unit and a phone holder to use Waze with.

The removable steering wheel I'm keen on at some stage for security, possibly some soundproofing too, just to take the edge off.

The chassis has already been dinitrol sealed, I paid the dealer to do that whilst they had it in their workshop.

I have a few gremlins so far (all part of the experience!!), I'm hoping the dealer will be able to help me remedy them (front windscreen washer not spraying at all, I can hear the pump though, drivers heated seat feels like it comes on for 5 mins, then stops, passenger heated seat we don't think is coming on at all.)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #923512 29th Sep 2021 8:34pm
JOW240725

Sounds good, looks great! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Post #923531 29th Sep 2021 9:16pm
BowlOfPetunias

Thank you!

I think need to stop picking back through forum posts about engine issues... it's scary stuff!!!
Post #923668 30th Sep 2021 11:58am
JOW240725

Just check its had all the neessary recalls done and then change oil every 6k miles and you'll be fine! (don't read too much! Whistle ) James
Post #923687 30th Sep 2021 1:14pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Re: Hello & Security
Hello BowlOfPetunias (I'm sure there's a story here)... and Welcome

BowlOfPetunias wrote:
Plan B in lieu of Disklock availability may have to be a removable steering wheel/boss and locking boss cover, but does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations they could make? Thanks!

Personally I would make a removable steering wheel Plan A over a Disclock (although many seem to rate the Disclock when they get the size fitting right and use the updated / strengthen version)

I'm a real advocate for the Removable Steering Wheel, like all (most) layers of Security nothing is 100% effective on its own, but IMO this a very good one to deter the opportunist, as it is unlikely they will have the work around options to hand.

Layers are the key here... some Passive (always there) like Security Marking (check out ISR Retain Group) and Trackers, others Active (you deploy) like Locks / Removing - Switching On-Off Stuff.

As a Physical Deterrent, taking Seconds to use, for me the Steering Wheel is a top one...

Check out Optimill (both the QR Boss and Locking Cap)

Loads on D2N to read through

QR Steering Wheel and XDefend Steering Lock

Click image to enlarge

All Glass, All Body Panels, and Serval Internal Main aspects Marked with ISR

Good Luck... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #923706 30th Sep 2021 2:03pm
BowlOfPetunias

Thanks Skip!

Bowl of Petunias... is one of Douglas Adams' brilliant little side stories in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCsfHVM5x_I) - I don't know either, I just had to make up a username and for some reason it was the first thing that came to mind!!!

Thank you for weighing in - I agree with the removable wheel that combined with the boss locking cap puts off the opportunist ***** pretty well - out of interest what do you do with the removed wheel? (we went to see the new Bond film yesterday - very good btw, and I wondered exactly what I'd do with a steering wheel going into a cinema.. Laughing ).

I'm thinking a Disklok as a quick measure, mainly as after just buying the car I'd rather not drop £600 ish on a new boss, wheel and boss lock, but I'm also not comfortable leaving it parked up in public with nothing visible - I was the 4th Defender in eyeshot in the car park yesterday, one had a disklok, one a stoplock and one nothing - as I've read many times, make sure yours isn't the easiest one they can have...
Post #924393 4th Oct 2021 1:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>