↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2 dipstick
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
It’s a 2013 2.2

And if 2.2 owners are interested on why an oil service light appears then this is my view.
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic74776.html
Post #918741 25th Aug 2021 11:53pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Ok, your 2.2 holds 6.9-7.0 litres. That's what it says in the books (6.85 workshop manual, 7.0 owner's handbook).
And it's reassuring that with 6.7 I didn't overfill. But it's also confusing how many different amounts are reported in various discussions, in particular about the 2.2. Anything between 6.0 and 7.0 seems possible... Also the amount between min and max could be 1 or 2 litres Sad
Post #918767 26th Aug 2021 12:05pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Just undertook an oil filter and oil change and followed your process to measure oil level on the dipstick Macfank.

It worked perfectly and in my opinion is absolutely the most accurate way to read the dipstick.

Oil was warm as I just returned from getting filters and sump plug from landrover dealer.

I had the front wheels 100 mm of the ground by driving onto two lengths of railway sleepers, I normally use my ramps which raise the vehicle another 100mm but had the lengths of sleepers at hand so used them this time.

Removed oil filler cap, raised dipstick, drained oil and removed oil filter, left for an hour to fully drain while I changed air filter, applied ACF50 to hinges etc and had a nice cup of tea.

Fitted new oil filter and sump plug all to correct torque.

Filled engine with 6 litres of millers Xs long life C1 5w30 oil.

Dipped oil to check it was at bottom of dipstick.

Started engine and reversed off sleepers, ran for five minutes and stopped.

Left for 30 mins while putting tools away.

Marked 20mm down from top of dipstick with fine tip marker pen as per your picture.

Inserted dipstick to the 20mm mark level with wafer pattern on end of dipstick facing the engine.

Added oil in small amounts and dipped each time to 20mm mark, measuring where oil level is on the dipstick end until it reached 8mm into the waffle.Then double checked this was correct.

Doing it this way you can actually see the real level on the dipstick.

Went for a short drive that evening.

Dipped again the next morning to 20mm level and all correct.

So Macfrank I think you have cracked the problem Bow down

In all I used 6.6l of oil, so a little less than before but maybe due to front wheels being on lower ramps when I drained this time or due to now having a far more accurate method of oil level measurement.

I’m now going to use a junior hacksaw to cut a very shallow ring all around the top of the dipstick at the 20mm mark and a shallow groove 8mm up from the bottom of the waffle and use as markers for future measurements.
Post #945415 11th Mar 2022 2:34pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Ianh

I read this post and have 2 observations...

I too had noticed that I get a better reading on my 2.4 with the 'waffle' facing the engine
as it appears to slide in and out better and therefore presents a better surface to take a reading.

I would just make the 'suggestion' not to cut in anyway the Dip Stick, but to use a 'gauge' to set up
the 20mm required maybe by using a spacer at the top end when checking the oil.

The Dip stick is an over-moulded product in its construction, with the wire section running into the yellow handle (to a point currently unknown) and having the 'waffle' section crimped pressed on its 'tail' as unlikely as it may be, you really wouldn't want to set up a stress fracture in the yellow handle and have to remove the broken section from within the Oil Dip Stick Tube, let alone if this broken element went further south...

as I say just an observation...

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #945420 11th Mar 2022 3:13pm
macfrank

Ianh wrote:
Just undertook an oil filter and oil change and followed your process to measure oil level on the dipstick Macfank.

It worked perfectly and in my opinion is absolutely the most accurate way to read the dipstick.
Added oil in small amounts and dipped each time to 20mm mark, measuring where oil level is on the dipstick end until it reached 8mm into the waffle.Then double checked this was correct.

Doing it this way you can actually see the real level on the dipstick.
So Macfrank I think you have cracked the problem Bow down

In all I used 6.6l of oil, so a little less than before but maybe due to front wheels being on lower ramps when I drained this time or due to now having a far more accurate method of oil level measurement.

I'm so happy about your response, Ianh Very Happy Good to see the method confirmed Thumbs Up
Also reassuring that you also only needed 6.6ish litres.

Maybe file a mark into the waffle at 8mm ("the new max")? I've already ordered a spare dip stick just in case it'll crumble to pieces Laughing

And thanks, SKIP, for the remark. Sounds reasonable.
Post #945424 11th Mar 2022 3:39pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
You have stimulated a multi tool idea.
A while ago on here there was a picture of a diy coolant dipstick someone made by folding a flat piece of 2mm aluminium to hook over the coolant tank, marking a notch about 25mm from the bottom to show correct coolant level. Now if that flat section was 20mm wide and at the end was cut down to 8mm wide you would have a tool to measure coolant level, set the depth between top of dipstick and tube, then measure oil level on waffle end of dipstick.

Another little tool for the cubby box Very Happy
Post #945432 11th Mar 2022 4:29pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Post #945438 11th Mar 2022 4:48pm
macfrank

Very Happy Never ending stream of new ideas for a vehicle six years after end of production.
Does that speak for our creativity or against LR's dedication? Laughing
Post #945447 11th Mar 2022 5:14pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
X4SKP wrote:
Thumbs Up

Not quite Smile

https://youtu.be/AfoXnOOTVgQ

The neat little tool 20 mins into video, with my mods it would be a multi tool
Post #945448 11th Mar 2022 5:22pm
nitram17

error
Post #971863 21st Nov 2022 12:48am
nitram17

bumped thread ..does everybody fill their engine oil to the max level?..im a bit chirpy chirpy cheap cheap myself and like middle of the dipstick.
Post #971864 21st Nov 2022 1:21am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I always fill my 2.2 to the Max. Can’t think why I would fill to the middle on a non DPF equipped defender, and on the 2.2 I change the oil every 2.5k to 3k miles , therefore oil dilution due to regens does not raise the level on the dipstick by more than a mm or two.

Thinking on oil dilution, I would rather fill to Max and have more oil than less in the engine as it will be diluted more if less oil is present by only filling to mid dipstick. Noting the calculations that will trigger an oil service message due to oil dilution are based on the engine having oil to the Max, so if you fill to mid dipstick that calculation would underestimate the oil dilution.
Post #971945 21st Nov 2022 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12