↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Unusual starting fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wildfowler

United Kingdom 
Unusual starting fault
I have an unusual intermittent starting fault which originally coincided with a radio fault.The main dealer cant trace the fault so far so I am going to try a process of elimination .

To start with, one of the faults which occasionally happens is the radio doesnt work at least initially. I turn the ignition on fully and the radio display flashes continuously and either the sound breaks up or there is no sound at all. The battery is fully charged.

I leave the ignition turned fully on and after about 20 seconds there is a click from behind the dashboard near the area of the steering column and the display stops flashing and the sound then works perfectly. The car or may not start.

To start with does anyone know if there is a relay where I describe and if so what is its function.
Many thanks

PS I have been a member of this excellent forum for a good number of years but because I had to change my email address I also had to change my username
Post #971935 21st Nov 2022 9:00pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
This could be a failed ignition switch, the click you hear is the contacts finally closing which is why the flickering radio goes away.

What was your old username, I’ll help recover it?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #971941 21st Nov 2022 9:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wildfowler

United Kingdom 
Thanks Martin. I have changed my username so I will stay with my new one but my old user name was LRNovice.

If it is a faulty ignition switch as you say is there any way to check it. I have also reposted my original question from December last year. Do you think the ignition switch could cause these symptoms. The main dealer also found fault codes P1294-00 which state injector high side open -bank 2 but all injectors and heater plugs had recently been changed. Thanks again for taking the time to read this

ORIGINAL POST FROM DECEMBER 2021
Sorry in advance for the long winded explanation. When I turn the ignition key to the first position to work the radio only, the display flashes and the sound breaks up if it works at all. After turning the ignition fully on the radio display will either continue to flash and the sound breaks up or it will stop working completely with no sound or display.

On attempting to start most of the time it will start immediately although on the odd occasion the engine turns over but does not start. When this happens I try a few three or four second bursts but when it does eventually start it starts immediately.

Once the engine is running the radio works perfectly. The radio also works perfectly if I use the "hour on" option without using the ignition key.

The battery is fully charged and easily turns the engine over. Any suggestion
Post #971946 21st Nov 2022 10:21pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
As well as checking the ignition switch there's a relay that's switched from the ignition switch that then provides power to other circuits. Have a look at the wiring diagrams.

I have failed to proceed a couple of times due to a failed relay taking out important circuits, once in an MGB and once in a Lotus.
Post #972000 22nd Nov 2022 1:01pm
Wildfowler

United Kingdom 
Many thanks, this has given me something to go on.
Post #972060 22nd Nov 2022 8:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1