Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
BMW to reveal hydrogen-powered iX5 next month
× New iX5 will be the first BMW i model to be powered by hydrogen
* The X5-based car will be used for testing and demo purposes
* iX5 Hydrogen to get debut at Munich motor show next month

Click image to enlarge

"Based on the regular X5 SUV, the new hydrogen-powered model is still in development ahead of a small series being produced for demonstrations and testing purposes at the end of next year.

Most car manufacturers are putting their might behind electric vehicles, but a few, such as Toyota, Hyundai and BMW, have continued development of hydrogen cars as well.

These are essentially electric vehicles, with the powertrain fuelled by hydrogen stored in a tank, similar to existing petrol or diesel cars.

BMW says that hydrogen has the potential to become ‘a further pillar in the BMW Group’s drive train portfolio for local CO2-free mobility’. In some circles it is considered a better alternative than plug-in electric vehicles for those who travel long distances.

Although an early development car, there are a few hints to what we can expect from BMW’s hydrogen car of the future.

For example, the iX5 gets blue highlights for the inside of the front grille and on the 22-inch alloy wheels that tie it to the firm’s electric ‘i’ brand.

Another unique aspect is that the iX5 is the first time Pirelli tyres made from certified natural rubber and the wood-based material rayon have been used on a production car.

The hydrogen powertrain works by converting hydrogen into electricity in a fuel cell, which is then used to top up a battery. This then fuels the electric drive system, which has a total output of up to 369bhp.

The hydrogen is stored in two carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic tanks, which hold up to six kilograms of the fuel. Refuelling is done in minutes via pumps at fuelling stations not too dissimilar to existing petrol and diesel stations.

The BMW iX5 Hydrogen will make its debut at the IAA Mobility show in Munich next month."

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/bm...nth/231234
Post #917643 19th Aug 2021 7:18am
Supacat

"We will have a hydrogen Ineos Grenadier car on test next year (alongside an electric version)."

"we have committed to €2bn of investment in the next 10 years, building much-needed green hydrogen capacity."

Says Sir Jim...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/...n-economy/
Post #926126 17th Oct 2021 9:36pm
ResGuy68

United States 
I had the pleasure of recently attending an "Emergent & Traditional" Energy forum with participation and presentation by some of the larger players in the Banking and Private equity community.

Participation included:
- JP Morgan Head of Energy Banking & Macro Research Heads
- New Energy Private Equity Partners (each multi $B funds)
- Former Solar City heads (now also in Private Equity)
- WoodMackenzie (Energy think-tank) and others of the like.

There was plenty of contentious conversation regarding natural gas, oil, solar, wind and nuclear.

However, there was one thing that all participants agreed on (it was odd seeing them agree).

(to paraphrase) Hydrogen holds no place in our future energy reality... When we look at current (or achievable) costs, it "isn't even in the same room" (direct quote) when compared to other technologies... And then there's that pesky 2nd law of thermodynamics.

They may certainly build a few hydrogen Grenadiers (great press). However, as a mass-market vehicle, there is no reason it should ever exist. There's a reason why H2 vehicles didn't work 25 years ago, and it's the same reason they won't work 25 years from now.

The Grenadier will be a gas/diesel vehicle until the day it becomes an EV.
Post #926138 18th Oct 2021 3:15am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Wall St analysts and PE firms have been some of the worst for forecasting the future in tech over the last 30 years 😉😉😉😉😉😉

We’ll see how good they are on energy tech over the next 20. 😊
Post #926143 18th Oct 2021 5:36am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Leasing costs of the Toyota Mirai are now circa £450 for business users. We have 5 hydrogen filling stations within 30miles and I do like driving something different. We had our first nissan Leaf in 2013 and everyone told me EV's were dead in the water.... 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #926150 18th Oct 2021 7:06am
Supacat

If this true, then you are almost uniquely situated:

"According to UK H2 Mobility, there are currently 11 hydrogen stations in the UK. Five of these are located within the M25, with others in the Southeast and Wiltshire. There are also two hydrogen refuelling stations for cars in Scotland, and none in Northern Ireland.

There are plans for two more hydrogen refuelling stations, one in Derby and the other in Stockton-on-Tees. But, both of the hydrogen filling stations in Wales have now closed, as have the two in the midlands at Coventry University and the University of Birmingham.

A kilogramme of hydrogen costs around £10 in the UK. As a guide, the Mirai’s fuel tank holds five kilogrammes, so it isn’t that much cheaper at the moment to use hydrogen compared to petrol or diesel – and it’s a lot more expensive than recharging an electric car."

https://www.drivingelectric.com/electric/1...ng-station

It would be fair to say that it's a chicken and egg situation at present. Who knows how it will develop?
Post #926152 18th Oct 2021 7:28am
familymad

Unlikely I am unique as many who live on the edge of the M25 will be in same position. Beaconsfield closest but I drive past the LHR one on way to work. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #926153 18th Oct 2021 7:47am
Supacat

Yes, uniquely is a poor choice of words; but it terms of the general UK population, I wonder what percentage could make the same claim as you?
Post #926155 18th Oct 2021 8:32am
familymad

Not many I agree. The appearance of public charging was the same back in 2013. I know my folks had a Zoe from 2011 and live in the Lakes. Its taken until 2021 to get a smattering of destination chargers fitted up there. None of this will be overnight which is why the demonisation of ICE vehicles will backfire at such an infancy for the public charging network. I used to be able to drive to Cumbria back when we had the leaf. Took patience and planning with a real world 80miles range. No queues on motorway chargers. I did the last journey on my GS in Sept. Pulled into my fav service stations for a cuppa.and still only 4-6 chargers. This time a long Q waiting to use. Musk knew what to do when he set up his own network. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #926156 18th Oct 2021 8:39am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Anyone know how much the extra gubbins to convert the hydrogen to energy weighs and how big it is?

6Kg of hydrogen in a big box would be great as a range extender for an EV, but is there any space left for anything else?
Post #926163 18th Oct 2021 9:30am
Supacat

Page 1 of this thread?
Post #926166 18th Oct 2021 10:03am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Embarassed

Big then, so not much space left.
Post #926170 18th Oct 2021 10:50am
ADVAW8S

United States 
Beta or VHS? DVD or Laser Disc? Shimano or Campy? Electric or Hydrogen? For an idea to be successful there needs to be a public buy-in. Hydrogen is non-existent here in the US. I believe 10-15 years ago, Cali was going to build the great hydrogen highway and it never materialize despite some hydrogen filling stations built. On the West Coast(including Canada) alone, there are 25 hydrogen filling stations. 2 are in BC and the rest are in Cali.We had one in Seattle but it no longer exists.

Beta was better quality but the companies adopted VHS format. Laser Disc, again a better product but companies adopted DVD. Unless you made bikes in Italy, Shimano went on everything. The infrastructure around electricity is already in place. Companies have put their weight behind electricity. Hydrogen is a great concept but the market has already moved to Electric.
Post #926235 18th Oct 2021 6:31pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
EVs and the like are not for me but i have a 15 yr old defender that is my daily driver and my take on environmental pollution (cars) is that we typically are encouraged to buy new models which does not lend itself to stabilizing environmental concerns by keeping existing vehicle for a fair time period say 10 years and therefor evening out the environmental impact.

Steel used in cars is best produced by coal (unless you can tell me otherwise) so regardless of how clean a car is the production of the vehicle remains very polluting hence my belief we should take a longer term ownership on cars (overall reduction in new vehicles).

I would like to see a range of options from EVs, development of hydrogen and development of biofuels.
Personally i would choose biofuels but those who like to pay electricity companies Hugh profits for using their products are welcome to it.

When the kids start to understand more they will start to ask questions on the great con that is batteries as has been mentioned they are polluting to make, use lithium which is difficult to recycle and cost a small fortune. Also currently have crap range but that will probably improve!
Anyway just going to light the log burner and release some c02 Shocked
Post #926266 18th Oct 2021 8:47pm
County V8

United Kingdom 
How do I get Hydrogen in my rotopax?

Well plastic omnium who make the Grenadiers fuel tank have hydrogen tanks in their portfolio so I guess its a wait and see.
Post #926335 19th Oct 2021 10:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>