Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I would suspect the potential for transmission damage is the key
Post #907300 10th Jun 2021 7:32pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Inevitably the insurance company (kGM, via A Plan) has come back with a stunning offer of £5k....which possibly explains why they are happy to write it off. It leaves quite a gap between that and what I paid in October, so bow the admin effort is on me to provide receipts / examples of replacement costs etc. Lazy effort on behalf of the insurer and the discussion we had yesterday was ‘robust’. 😬
Post #907343 11th Jun 2021 6:22am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
so they are saying it worth half of what you paid in less than a year??

at least Dick Turpin wore a mask........
Post #907362 11th Jun 2021 8:10am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Huttopia wrote:
Inevitably the insurance company (kGM, via A Plan) has come back with a stunning offer of £5k....which possibly explains why they are happy to write it off. It leaves quite a gap between that and what I paid in October, so bow the admin effort is on me to provide receipts / examples of replacement costs etc. Lazy effort on behalf of the insurer and the discussion we had yesterday was ‘robust’. 😬

A Standard tactic, a very low initial offer that a lot of people probably expect. Good luck evidencing its value.
Post #907363 11th Jun 2021 8:19am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I remember having a similar offer from the now long gone General Accident in 1988 when I had my less than a year old motorbike written off by a third party who took full responsibility for the accident.

Nothing changes. I am very surprised that the Insurance industry hasn't been sorted out by now, but if claim values go up, you know exactly which way the premiums will be going.

I really feel for you Huttopia. I hope your persistence will extract a few more Krugerands out of the under-writers. Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #907364 11th Jun 2021 8:24am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I’m now trying to stop the vehicle going to the salvage yard, the repair costs are £4K, £2.5k of parts. Happy days 🤦‍♂️
Post #907372 11th Jun 2021 8:52am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Isnt the vehicle still yours until you agree a payout, or buy it back. Can you cancel the claim and retrieve the car? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #907373 11th Jun 2021 9:06am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I’ve sent the purchase receipt and details of 4 vehicles of the same spec and mileage, the cheapest of which is £12k. Used car prices appear to have hardened in the last 6 months. It just frustrates me hugely to have to do the leg work to justify the value. I run a couple of small businesses and a small holding, and kids and dogs and blah blah blah, and some arse is sat in an office thinking ‘I’ll offer sfa and make it their problem’. Criminal.
Post #907459 11th Jun 2021 7:32pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Dig your heels in Huttopia.
The attitude of some insurance companies just hacks me off. Quick to take the premiums but then expect you to jump through hoops to get the pay-out you deserve.
Post #907473 11th Jun 2021 8:03pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Have a read of this to know your rights https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/bus...write-offs

I know it’s a pain, but think...if you spend 3 hrs working on this it’s circa £6k plus for 3 hrs work.

If after finding several cars from a good dealer, in your case a main dealer that are showing circa £12k and the insurance company are still not playing ball, then advise them of the statement on the ombudsman site on the link above
“Most complaints involve disagreements about the market value of the vehicle. The market value is the price the vehicle would have sold for at a reputable dealership just before it was damaged or stolen.”

If still not playing ball involve the ombudsman.
Post #907498 12th Jun 2021 12:32am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Huttopia wrote:

5k? are they having a laugh!! You paid double for it, back in October there. Golfs do hold the value as they are very sort after cars, like the Peugeot 306 was.
Stand your ground on that one, and id be pushing to get it repaired too. never mind them writing it off etc. There are ways around that too. one of the lads had an old P reg 306 repaired by the insurance, by one of the lads point him in the right direction. Shame the Peugeot 306.net is no longer active now, other wise id have got the info for you there and then, i don't think the lad who it happened to is even on the group on face book either, it was that long ago now sadly.
Trouble is they just want the easy route and that's it, with insurances, a Coach works would rather repair a car than write it off. They get about 50 to 100 quid to write a car off sadly.

If it helps, get looking on ebay, auto trader, for the same age of model and you tell them. When my defender was stolen that time, the insurance had a right bother trying to value it, i did some work with the fella on the phone, some one from leeds was selling a Defender that was 1 year older and lot higher mileage, and no way in as good as mine, for the same amount what i paid for mine. The lad said, saw it with his own eyes and said that's good enough for me Thumbs Up So sometimes they may need a little helping hand with car values Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #907593 13th Jun 2021 1:41am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Ianh wrote:
Have a read of this to know your rights https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/bus...write-offs

I know it’s a pain, but think...if you spend 3 hrs working on this it’s circa £6k plus for 3 hrs work.

If after finding several cars from a good dealer, in your case a main dealer that are showing circa £12k and the insurance company are still not playing ball, then advise them of the statement on the ombudsman site on the link above
“Most complaints involve disagreements about the market value of the vehicle. The market value is the price the vehicle would have sold for at a reputable dealership just before it was damaged or stolen.”

If still not playing ball involve the ombudsman.

Thanks Ian, much appreciated.
Post #907762 14th Jun 2021 11:38am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
I've had pretty good experiences with A Plan so it may well pay to speak to them again and perhaps highlight that details are available on a public forum (that they support none the less) so not great publicity. A bit low handed but might get them to fight your corner rather than the underwriters. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #907914 15th Jun 2021 10:41am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Yep I’ve roped in A Plan who think it is an error in valuation rather than an underhand tactic employed by the insurer. Hopefully I’ll get some sort of update today- no car, no courtesy car (taken back when insured said mine is a write off) so all a bit annoying now. I’m having to use my P38 at 16mpg. ⛽️⛽️⛽️
Post #907916 15th Jun 2021 10:46am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Interesting morning. The insurer called to say they have re-valued it and it is now repairable. I asked whether they had factored in checking over the drivetrain. He called back to say they couldn't guarantee the work and therefore it would be a write off, with a valution of........£11,140, which is markedly better than the £5k offered this time last week.

I don't know whether the valuation first offered was an honest mistake. I went overboard with examples of the same spec / age / mileage, proof of purchase, link to the ombudsman dispute resolution etc. Who knows? I'm just relieved at what appears to be a sensible outcome, although I was rather attached to that little 1.4tsi Smile

Thanks for all the info / suggestion, much appreciated.

Huttopia.
Post #908285 17th Jun 2021 10:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>