Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 46 of 57 <123 ... 454647 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Heh, heh, glad to see you're still here, Matt Laughing

I keep an envious eye on the 110 and its the the thread that keeps me coming back to see the updates Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #897529 11th Apr 2021 6:54pm
AlexCW

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Galway Green
Great thread LRA Bow down

I'm in the process of some auxiliary wiring in my 110 at the moment so I'm watching with interest, even though I don't have the intellect to dissect the wiring diagrams, I'm trying my best and they're a great help.

You've also fitted some accessories I plan to add in the future so I'll be going back through for more reference points Laughing Alex

2013 2.2 TDCi Puma Hard Top

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72473.html
Post #897546 11th Apr 2021 7:53pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks chaps.

Alex, the wiring might look complex but it's really just standard relay wiring. The only real difference is that there are three all next to each other. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #897565 11th Apr 2021 8:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

Headlight Loom Pt 3 – Brackets!
So, tomorrow ran into Tuesday because, much to my surprise, snow stopped play!

The fuse box shown above and the relay pack are to be mounted inside the LH wing in the areas shown below:

Click image to enlarge

The fuse box will be fixed to the face of the existing black metal bracket in front of the heater duct and will require another bracket between it and the back face of the box. The cables in flexible conduit that snake over the heater duct to sensors in the foreground will be in the way of this and get re-routed under the duct.

The relay pack will be fixed to the inner edge of the wing top, in front of the bracket holding the A/C pipe, using the bolt for that bracket and the spare hole further forward of it.

The wiring design calls for three relays - one each for the dipped beam, main beam and spotlights. I’ve sourced a nice three relay pack with its own little mounting bracket for the purpose from a company called Mouser Electronics. Anyway, it needs a bracket to attach it to the wing, which I’ve made from 2mm thick aluminium.

Cardboard aided design in action:

Click image to enlarge

The series of twelve small holes near to the bottom are the basis of clamps for the three multicore cables that will terminate at the relays. They’re 3mm diameter and spaced 6mm apart, which allows a 2.5mm wide cable tie to pass through and pin the ends of the cables to the bottom of the bracket. This will, in turn, prevent them being dragged out of the relay block if they’re inadvertently pulled.

The bracket temporarily bolted into place:

Click image to enlarge

The spare hole in the edge of the wing just needed the touch of a 7mm drill bit to clean it out sufficiently to accept an M5 rivnut.

And with the relay pack fitted on its own little bracket that enables it to be easily released, which will help with wiring:

Click image to enlarge

The bracket for the fuse box followed a similar development path with much cutting and scribbling on cardboard before arriving at these two pieces, shown with the existing black bracket that I removed from the wing during the process:

Click image to enlarge

The larger of the two new pieces fits to the black bracket and provides mounting points for the fuse box enclosure. It’s deceptively complicated with a small bend in the lower end to match the shape of bracket that it will be fitted to and two countersunk holes for fixings that will be concealed by the enclosure.

The smaller piece is to provide a fixing point for the fir tree mount on the re-routed sensor cabling, which was originally positioned on the black bracket.

This picture shows the new brackets temporarily bolted into place:

Click image to enlarge

And these show the fuse box enclosure fixed to it:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In this location, the enclosure just clears the underside of the bonnet, which is quite thick around the edges. I’d measured it so it should have worked but it was a small relief when it actually did.

The only problem with this location is that installing the wiring into the box will basically have to be done upside down, leaning over the wing. However, I think I can pre-install virtually all of it on the bench if I leave the fuse box loose until the end. Time will tell!

It was my aim to install all of this stuff without drilling any additional holes in anything on the vehicle. However, once the enclosure was in place, it was obvious that it needed a third fixing point to prevent it flexing and so I had to accept drilling an extra hole in the black bracket.

Finally, I decided to paint them so that they'll look more like they were intended to be there:

Click image to enlarge

Making all of these brackets is very time consuming but having the components mounted neatly will hopefully make building the wiring loom that much easier. It’s also very satisfying Smile

Next it’s on to the wiring… Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 14th Apr 2021 6:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #898020 13th Apr 2021 3:58pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Excellent, you been watching Binky? Laughing
Post #898021 13th Apr 2021 4:03pm
LandRoverAnorak

Absolutely! Can't wait for the next episode when they finally re-assemble the damn thing Laughing Darren

Post #898022 13th Apr 2021 4:10pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Tiger wrote:
Excellent, you been watching Binky? Laughing

Not just me then?!
Post #898027 13th Apr 2021 4:35pm
L110CDL

England 
Me too waiting for the next Binky Laughing

It is always a great read when you post how your project is getting on Darren Very Happy Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #898281 14th Apr 2021 7:32pm
LandRoverAnorak

Headlight Loom Pt 4 – Installation
This one’s a long one so strap in…

To make my life as easy as possible, I made all of the connections to the fuse box and distribution block on the bench. As expected, it’s tight but does all work as intended. I then disconnected the feeds to the LH head and spotlight as I’d basically made off both ends of each cable and would have to cut them to length once I’d worked out all of the routing. This picture shows both stages of that process:

Click image to enlarge

There are a lot of cables going in and out of this box and I’ve had to use rubber grommets to accommodate them. They don’t provide any restrain though, which is something I’m quite keen on. As a compromise then, I cut some strips of 2mm thick plastic, 10mm wide and about 50mm long and drilled 3mm holes to accept cables ties. The idea is that they span across the grommets inside the box and when the cables are tied to them, won’t allow them to be pulled out:

Click image to enlarge

The first stage of the actual installation was bolting my shiny new brackets into place, which was all quite straightforward, and fixing the existing sensor cabling fir tree mount:

Click image to enlarge

Next was installing the fuse box enclosure, which was more of a challenge as access is limited. Got there in the end though, with the help of tape on the ends of various tools to position nuts and bolts in hard to reach places.

After a lot of scrabbling around, I managed to route the cabling to the RH head and spot lights across the top of the bulkhead and along the inner edge of the right hand wing and then down to behind the headlight:

Click image to enlarge

At that point and with the front end stripped down, I realised that I needed yet more brackets as locations to tie off the ends of the various cables. Once you get to behind the headlights, all you’re faced with is the featureless plastic of the wheel arch liner. I also wanted the spotlight wiring to pass through to the area behind the grill where it was to terminate in an Econoseal connector that needed to be secured. There are large holes in both inner wings to allow this and for a bit of extra protection I added some plastic sheathing to the cables in this area. Anyway, with all of this in mind I came up with the following, cut from aluminium angle:

Click image to enlarge

The two on the right were fixed to the wheel arch liners and, by chance, I was able to re-use holes that were formed for the ill-fated LED headlight bulb drivers. I used plastic M6 nuts and bolts for these to avoid any issues with exposure to road salt and the like. The brackets have a series of holes to again accept 2.5mm cable ties to provide fixings for both the original wiring and the new:

Click image to enlarge

The remaining brackets were fixed to the A/C condenser frame using two existing holes in the flat plates between the frame and the condenser. It pained me to bolt them to such crusty existing parts but I do have painted stainless replacements awaiting installation when I get chance. That’s a job for another day though, and I’ll probably paint these new brackets at that time. This picture shows one of the brackets in place and after installation of the connector and spotlight wiring. Getting all of this in place was akin to keyhole surgery but I was keen on the location as it provides a modicum of protection to the connector:

Click image to enlarge

That picture also shows the additional cable tie hole that the spotlight bracket has acquired to keep the wiring tidy.

With all of the wiring end points established, I could cut the cables to the RH headlight to length and make the final connections in the fuse box enclosure. As predicted, it was tight and a challenge to do upside down so I’m glad I was able to do most of it on the bench:

Click image to enlarge

On the LH side, the existing headlight wiring is re-purposed to provide trigger feeds and earths to the relay coils but on the RH side, the existing wiring is surplus. I therefore made up a blanking plug out of a male headlight connector with a piece of plastic glued over the rear end:

Click image to enlarge

It was quite a snug fit but I secured it in place with a cable tie too, and then tied the cable to my new bracket:

Click image to enlarge

Behind the LH headlight, the trigger wiring was connected to the existing headlight wiring and in this picture you can also see the new headlight power feed. All of this gets tucked away and again secured to a bracket:

Click image to enlarge

With all of the wiring finally in place, I could then install the relay pack. I chose this particular pack after seeing somebody else use it on here (sorry, can’t remember who, it was some years ago) and thought that it looked like a neat and compact solution. It accepts 35amp ISO standard relays and these particular ones are the changeover type although I’m not using that function:

Click image to enlarge

Again, terminating the wires here was extremely tight and in hindsight, I should have made the bracket slightly longer to allow more leeway between the underside of the relay pack and the cable fixing points. After a degree of cursing, I got there in the end though:

Click image to enlarge

The power feed for the whole setup comprises two 6mm2 cables that connect the fuse box enclosure directly to the battery. They were routed back to the bulkhead where the earth wire was terminated on a convenient 6mm stud:

Click image to enlarge

The positive wire was then fed down vertically along the inner face of the passenger footwell until it met a large bundle of existing cables, to which it was cable tied. From there, it was fed backwards picking up various existing attachment points until it entered the battery box through the main earth cable grommet.

Here was the location of my final bracket, which was a small flat plate drilled to receive a midi-fuse holder and was used to tag on the extra main fuse required for this set up to the panel on which my split charge system is mounted. This one is just a temporary solution as I want to re-organise the battery box to take a bigger second battery and I’ll re-make this panel then:

Click image to enlarge

My hydraulic crimping tool made short work of the necessary connections to the new fuse and I left a long-ish tail on the cable to allow for future changes:

Click image to enlarge

With the power connected it was finally time to test it annnnd it didn’t work Rolling Eyes Not properly, anyway. After a bit of head scratching and diagram studying, I traced a couple of the pins in the relay pack that hadn’t seated properly and a poor crimp on one of the pins in the Econoseal connector for the right hand spotlight. I was very relieved that it wasn’t anything more fundamental with the design! Anyway, all now works as intended:

Click image to enlarge

It’s been something of a slog, this one: not including the initial bracket fabrication, I’ve probably spent four days on this installation including half a day of fault finding and reassembly. Despite my best efforts at planning, there were still lots of little details that had to be worked out along the way and routing of cables and making of parts took far longer than I expected. Still, it’s done now and I can enjoy my spotlights and also be confident that my headlight switch won’t burn out!

I just need to wait for some darkness to give it a proper test… Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 20th Apr 2021 9:23am. Edited 4 times in total
Post #898876 18th Apr 2021 3:56pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Bravo! Great work. Thumbs Up
Post #898882 18th Apr 2021 4:36pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Very Happy

Took it out for a spin to a 'dark place' last night to see how it all looked:

Click image to enlarge

To be honest, there didn't seem to be much of an improvement in the headlights but they were already pretty good with Crystal units and uprated bulbs. The spots work well and have a good range but even in the above picture it's obvious that their light is more yellow than the headlights. I'll have to see if I can find some uprated bulbs for them that better match the headlights. Darren

Post #898958 19th Apr 2021 8:29am
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Excuse the pun: Spot on Thumbs Up
Post #898959 19th Apr 2021 8:44am
LandRoverAnorak

Rolling with laughter Darren

Post #898961 19th Apr 2021 9:08am
Pace

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Very nice, well-thought out and neatly executed mod. I will be taking inspiration when I add some lighting later this year.
Post #898963 19th Apr 2021 9:09am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Nice work. Out of interest, did you measure the voltage at the headlights before and after? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #899004 19th Apr 2021 1:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 46 of 57 <123 ... 454647 ... 555657>