Philip

United Kingdom 
Ignore that it’s Jalopnik, Daniel Stern knows his stuff:

https://jalopnik.com/why-most-led-headligh...1843070472
Post #886723 20th Feb 2021 12:56pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Headlight Guards
When I bought my 110 it came fitted with headlight guards (see the picture at the start of this thread) but over a period of several months of faffing around with different front end treatments and headlight bulbs, I took them off as they were a bit of a nuisance. I always knew that I would eventually re-fit them as I like the look and didn't like the holes that they left. I really wanted to improve how they are mounted, though.

As standard, they are fixed with two bolts into rivnuts at the top and two plastic 'P' clips secured with pop rivets at the bottom. The latter allows them to be hinged downwards to access the lights but the arrangement is a bit naff, to be honest. It also didn't work for another modification in planning, which is to add some additional spot lights below. Instead therefore, I've fabricated four little hook-shaped brackets in place of the 'P' clips that will allow the guards to be lifted off completely:

Click image to enlarge

They're made of 20mm wide aluminium strip, carefully bent to a shape that will restrain the guards whilst allowing enough clearance for them to be lifted out. They're drilled to accept M4 bolts, which will re-use the existing pop rivet holes and as they're stainless, they're isolated from the aluminium of the wing with nylon washers. They've been etch primed, painted and lacquered to protect them.

Click image to enlarge

And the finished look, which I think looks great with the black grill and headlight finisher panels. Just the job for the mean streets of Surrey Laughing

Click image to enlarge

As the weather is picking up again, I might even get to wash it at the weekend! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #887199 22nd Feb 2021 9:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

Well, I did wash it at the weekend. Just not the weekend that I suggested above Laughing

Click image to enlarge

The new light guard brackets made it very easy to clean the front, too. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #893145 22nd Mar 2021 9:11am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
looking smart Thumbs Up

I like the idea with the guards too
Post #893147 22nd Mar 2021 9:25am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I don’t know what you are using to secure the top of your light guards, but when I got mine they had bolts into rivnuts. These were rusted solid so really struggled to get them undone, and had to get the grinder out, just to swap bulbs. I then replaced them with plastic numberplate bolts. They are the same thread as the rivnuts, black, and very unlikely to rust.
Post #893265 22nd Mar 2021 7:46pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, I know what you mean. The standard fitment seems to use steel rivnuts, which are a nuisance. I've replaced the bolts on mine with stainless ones which, with a little bit of lubrication, seem to be OK. I've had them in and out numerous times over the last three years and no problems so far. Darren

Post #893297 22nd Mar 2021 9:18pm
LandRoverAnorak

Spotlights - Brackets
I've had a set of Hella Comet 450 spotlights in the garage for about three years and set about making some brackets for them last weekend. Today I trial fitted them to make sure they work as intended before paint and wiring:

Click image to enlarge

I didn't want any sort of A bar and also didn't want to drill holes in my galvanised bumper, so I came up with this idea for brackets fixed to the bumper mounting bolts:

Click image to enlarge

They're made from 25 x 25mm stainless angle, drilled and shaped to suit. They're now part way through being painted and I think I'll finish them in body colour to be unobtrusive.

The lower brackets for the light guards mentioned above were also part of this cunning plan, as the spotlights would interfere with their standard mounting arrangement Smile Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 26th Apr 2021 7:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #894404 27th Mar 2021 10:24pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Neat idea. Looks good.
Post #894433 28th Mar 2021 8:02am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver

Click image to enlarge

Darren, this is a cracking idea!

I have the same light guards as you. Those flimsy plastic lower brackets really bug me. A big hearty thank you from me as I’m going to follow your idea. I also have the LR rubber A Bar fitted and fouls the guards when they pivot down on the plastic clips more than a couple of inches. Your brilliant solution is the answer Bow down
Post #895873 4th Apr 2021 11:59am
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to be of service Very Happy Darren

Post #895881 4th Apr 2021 1:03pm
LandRoverAnorak

Headlight Wiring Loom Pt 1 - Diagram
As part of fitting the spotlights mentioned above, I've been designing my own upgraded headlight loom, both to solve the inherent problem of the full load of the headlights passing through the switch and provide power to the spots. I've been working on the diagram over the last few days, which looks like this:

Click image to enlarge

The majority of the wiring will be appropriately sized multi-core, which keeps it neat and, for this application, removes the need for further protective tubing. It's all deliberately oversized to reduce voltage drop - the longest length to the RH headlight will see a drop of no more than about 0.2v. The spotlight wiring is also sized for possibly fitting 100w bulbs.

Originally, it was my intention that the fuse box, relays and distribution block would all be housed in a single waterproof enclosure under the bonnet. However, having bought something of a suitable size, I now realise that there isn't a space big enough that remains accessible Rolling Eyes Consequently, those three components will be fitted in individual enclosures just inside the LH wing.

The only thing that the diagram doesn't show at this stage is the dash mounted switch to isolate the spots. That will be a later addition when I next take the dash out for another project and will basically interrupt the earth wire from the coil of the spotlight relay.

Weather permitting, I plan to install all of this next week when I have some time off. Darren

Post #895987 5th Apr 2021 10:31am
LandRoverAnorak

Headlight Wiring Loom Pt 2 - Fuse Box
Wow, over 1200 views of my last post and not one comment! Either everybody is so in awe of my design that they're speechless or it's really dull Laughing For the sake of my dignity I'm going to assume the former and press on with the next part, which is the fuse box.

I mentioned above that the limited space under the bonnet was making packaging a challenge and so I've now got a slightly smaller enclosure (140 x 110 x 70mm) that just fits in the space between the front of the heater duct and a bracket for an A/C pipe. It will get fixed, in a way not yet fully worked out, to an existing metal bracket in that space between wing top and wheel arch liner.

Click image to enlarge

The picture above shows the finished box and the five grommets in what will be the bottom face are for the various cables that will run to and from it.

Inside is mounted a six way bus bar fuse box and the component labelled 'Distribution Block' on the diagram:

Click image to enlarge

The distribution block is basically a strip of thick plastic with three M5 bolts mounted on it. Each bolt will allow the power cables for the dipped beam, main beam and spotlights to be brought together to meet the power feeds from their respective relays.

Space in this box is going to be extremely tight and as I'm not quite sure how it will be fixed to the vehicle yet, I wanted to be able to assemble it in stages as each component is wired up. To that end, the fuse box and distribution block are fixed to brackets made of various sized bits of aluminium angle with rivnuts, which will allow me to install them easily from the front:

Click image to enlarge

Tomorrows' job will be to make the brackets that will be used to mount this box and the new relays in the engine bay. The latter has already been mocked up using CAD (that's cardboard aided design for the Project Binky fans), so should be relatively easy Very Happy Darren

Post #897455 11th Apr 2021 3:39pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Silent watcher type Whistle
Post #897495 11th Apr 2021 4:40pm
LandRoverAnorak

Heh, heh, glad to see you're still here, Matt Laughing Darren

Post #897500 11th Apr 2021 4:48pm
G4V JW

United Kingdom 
I personally am boggled by your wiring diagram knowledge Idea

Strong work as usual Bow down Instagram; @gavin_walding
Post #897501 11th Apr 2021 4:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 45 of 57 <123 ... 444546 ... 555657>