↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > The definitive Defender ICE thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 67 of 69 <123 ... 66 676869>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Looks good. Always good to have everything tidy otherwise it can be a real mess.

I’m still working on mine. Rolling Eyes
It’s almost there, the whole COVID thing mainly + winter has pushed me back, otherwise it would have been done by now. This spring / May this year is hopefully my target for completion.
Although, I do already have well over three quarters of it all in.
Which is working well, but I only have tweeters active currently and not the rest just yet.
They are Amped and by god they are loud if it’s turned up just those alone, when I’m done there will be three Amps.
Really pleased with it already, loud but really clear, but obviously not a completed system just yet.
One Amp is hidden the others will be mounted.

It’s unbelievable how much you can spend on this stuff it really is! Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #880809 25th Jan 2021 5:14pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
How you getting on Steve? Thumbs Up
Post #895735 3rd Apr 2021 12:14pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Good Matt, thank-you for asking. Thumbs Up How are you?

Still working on my install, mostly done but there is some more to go, this summer should be the benchmark I’m hoping for completion.
It is a big ol’ install, and I’ve had to wait many times for shipping from the States.
Having free time from working, various other commitments and of course Covid put the axe into my hope of finishing it up last year.
This is looking good for this year though.

Funny enough, I’ve been doing some more work to it just today, and I have another package on route from the USA as we speak. Whistle

Most of the really hard work, and tricky, tedious jobs are already complete. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #895776 3rd Apr 2021 6:50pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Sounds excellent. Have you got a spec list of what you're aiming at?

Just out of interest having got my system up and running with the stinger RCA cables you suggested the whole system sounds dramatically better so that was money well spent.

Currently trying to solve my rather boomy sub performance. I've got a 12" JL W0V3 in the back in a ported JL enclosure and it's phenomenal but only if I tune it to specific types of music. The ports stuffing up good "general" sound it seems. So thinking of bringing the port up (slot) with thick foam piece and seeing if that fixes it.

Tried an 8" sealed JL sub and it sounded much less boomy but lost something in the sizing.

Sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere.
Post #895780 3rd Apr 2021 7:14pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Really nice. Did you do much soundproofing as part of the install? 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #895792 3rd Apr 2021 9:20pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Did on mine yep sides and floor but only to the front of the rear seat box, but then mine seems pretty rigid now as it's got an external cage and I've made up a cross beam side to side to fit my daughter's isofix seat to. So it's all very solid now.

Pondering looking up the port tune frequency and deliberately running that right down in EQ in the headunit equaliser. Just that somehow that feels wrong? Like I'm cheating somehow lol feels like I shouldn't have to do that.

Don't think I'd buy another ported sub.
Post #895795 3rd Apr 2021 9:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’ve always stuck with sealed sub boxes personally, but bear in mind each sub enclosure whatever that may be has a cubic internal volume to suit. Bigger Subs need extra internal volume as well.
The internal volume is typically provided by the manufacturer of the sub.

I aimed for the higher end (80 / 90%) of the maximum internal volume on mine, which is where you will get best bass but you mustn’t go too far.

The smaller the sub the more punchy it will be, and more accurate, but will lose some of the real deep bass frequency that larger Subs do.
Larger subs are obviously more powerful, and drop to lower frequency and bass but they are less accurate in response.

There are some subs that are specifically designed for shallow smaller enclosures with smaller internal volume.

It’s always worth ensuring the gain is set just right on the Amplifier, glad to hear the RCA’s are sounding good Matt. Thumbs Up

If you are getting booming bass, check for vibration especially the roof if it’s in the rear. That could well be it, due to vibration created by the sub.
If it is that Dynamat or similar soundproofing is the answer to that.

I will have three Amps, the same 8’ sub I always had, two tweets, 8x speakers. Power output from what I had before will be doubled, and I was quite happy before so should be really good.
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #895927 4th Apr 2021 8:36pm
doncarloz

Austria 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Hi guys!

I installed the following in my 110 DC:

Focal IBUS 2.1 (mudstuff undercubby box)
Focal PS 130 F
Alpine Headunit

The system works fine so far, especially the active sub Mr. Green , but the droning noises coming from the cubby box are quite severe.
How did you guys adress that? I was thinking about putting some alubutyl (Reckhorn) into the mudstuff subwoofer enclosure before mounting the sub in it. Do you have any other suggestions how I could reduce those droning noises?

I know that this mounting spot is a compromise, but my Landy is a workhorse, so space is limited and I don´t have any other mounting options.

Cheers Karl ___________________________________
1993 D1 200 Tdi
2015 110 DCPU 2.2 Tdci
2017 RRS 3.0 TDV6
Post #898511 15th Apr 2021 8:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Soundproofing such as Dynamat is your friend, my sub is in the same area. And it works well and solves the problem largely.
On mine I Dynamatted the whole of the seat box and the covers individually and the bases of the seat boxes inside.

Any panel with a large thin surface area will create booming, you don’t actually need to soundproof everything but on mine I chose to do just that on them.
Once done you’ll be surprised at the difference.
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #898529 15th Apr 2021 9:56pm
doncarloz

Thanks alot! I guess I'll start soundproofing then😁 ___________________________________
1993 D1 200 Tdi
2015 110 DCPU 2.2 Tdci
2017 RRS 3.0 TDV6
Post #898597 16th Apr 2021 10:25am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
doncarloz wrote:
Hi guys!

I installed the following in my 110 DC:

Focal IBUS 2.1 (mudstuff undercubby box)
Focal PS 130 F
Alpine Headunit

The system works fine so far, especially the active sub Mr. Green , but the droning noises coming from the cubby box are quite severe.
How did you guys adress that? I was thinking about putting some alubutyl (Reckhorn) into the mudstuff subwoofer enclosure before mounting the sub in it. Do you have any other suggestions how I could reduce those droning noises?

I know that this mounting spot is a compromise, but my Landy is a workhorse, so space is limited and I don´t have any other mounting options.

Cheers Karl

Have you got a gap between sub enclosure and the cubby box?
Post #898624 16th Apr 2021 12:51pm
doncarloz

Good point there. Thanks! I have taken those wooden blocks off quite same time ago when I installed a cubbybox riser. ___________________________________
1993 D1 200 Tdi
2015 110 DCPU 2.2 Tdci
2017 RRS 3.0 TDV6
Post #898697 16th Apr 2021 8:57pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I’ve packed mine so I have a gap between the two and am happy with the results
Post #898728 17th Apr 2021 8:48am
Bingo

Russia 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Santorini Black
Hello, friends!

The other day I connected the radio and was faced with the fact that there are three wires in the bundle of wires that go to the radio, the purpose of which I do not know. It is clear to me that there are three power wires:"+", "+Acc" and" -", as well as 8 wires for the speakers. What are 3 more wires for?

Click image to enlarge

Thanks! “A word of command has made these silent figures our enemies; a word of command might transform them into our friends. At some table a document is signed by some persons whom none of us knows, and then for years together that very crime on which formerly the world’s condemnation and severest penalty fall, becomes our highest aim.”
— Erich Maria Remarque
Post #916583 12th Aug 2021 2:13pm
ngins

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
this thread will sort you out I think ....:
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic6222....io+diagram

Off the top of my head, one is for the mic (pr maybe that was separate), one for the permanent live for the memory/settings on the stereo and one for the trigger for the electric aerial that no-one has but I think that's also the amp trigger! I might be wrong as its a bit of a distant memory now...

this (scroll down on the page) is quite handy for the ISO colour codes for the wires too: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questi...olor-codes
Post #916586 12th Aug 2021 2:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 67 of 69 <123 ... 66 676869>