↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 40 of 57 <123 ... 394041 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Yes i would be as well, they have changed the look of the 110 completely Thumbs Up

What load rating are they please Darren ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #856755 18th Sep 2020 10:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
They're either 1100 or 1150kgs - can't remember which. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #856763 18th Sep 2020 10:56pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks Darren Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #856765 18th Sep 2020 11:01pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
They look great in that colour
Post #856835 19th Sep 2020 10:09am
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks, Jim Smile Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #856888 19th Sep 2020 1:43pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Mmm. Not a fan of boosts, but each to their own. However I’m rarely a fan of colour-coded wheels, unless it’s black on black. Always prefer a contrast. So LRA, not sure about this upgrade. Black boosts, yup. But Orkney not really doing it for me, Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #857019 20th Sep 2020 9:45am
LandRoverAnorak

Heh, heh, this is clearly one of those moments for which the phrase 'each to their own' was invented Laughing

To be honest, I've gone right off black wheels. I've done it on two Land Rovers now, including Sawtooths on this one, but these days it seems like every man and his dog has them and they're no longer special. From there, the options for me were limited: silver is too standard and anything else too 'odd' with the metallic grey that is Orkney. I thought I'd give colour coded a try as you don't see it often with alloys. The results prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are, of course, completely wrong Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 23rd Nov 2020 10:17am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #857125 20th Sep 2020 9:30pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I think your right about silver looking odd, personally I would have gone black too but I also like the colour coded option Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #857144 20th Sep 2020 11:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

Ah, silver's ok but just too ordinary; it was other things that I was thinking of as odd. I'm a big fan of white Wolf wheels for example, but they just don't look right on a vehicle with metallic paint, IMHO. Darren

Post #857162 21st Sep 2020 8:06am
LandRoverAnorak

Paint Repairs - Bulkhead
Some time ago, I noticed a series of stone chips on the front of the bulkhead below the windscreen. Initially, I just wiped them over with ACF50 every now and again but I recently noticed the beginnings of rust bubbling through, so decided to get something done about it. I took it to the local ChipsAway guy, who masked it up and resprayed the whole area and I'm very pleased with the result. Of course, it's been raining since, making it difficult to get a decent photo but I'm sure you get the idea:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 2nd May 2021 8:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #859544 3rd Oct 2020 12:36pm
L110CDL

England 
Looks like a job i would be happy with as well Darren Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #860333 7th Oct 2020 8:27pm
LandRoverAnorak

LED Stop / Tail Lights Revisited
Now that the nights are drawing in again and I find myself using the sidelights more often, I've realised that I'm getting some LED-induced radio interference. To try and resolve it, I've fitted some ferrite rings to the wiring feeding the LED stop / tail lights that I fitted a few months ago:

Click image to enlarge

As with the others that I've done previously, these are clip-on units and are very easy to fit.

Whilst I had it apart, I also took the opportunity to move the NAS light plinths slightly lower so that they sit wholly within the curve of the bodyside rather than projecting above it. I was able to do this as the LED lights are much shallower than the original incandescent bulb units and don't pass through the hole into the body. All that was required was to drill two new 4mm holes in each plinth, 8mm higher than the originals:

Click image to enlarge

I will, of course, keep an eye on the fuel consumption to see what difference this aerodynamic upgrade has made Wink

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #861046 11th Oct 2020 9:14pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
At least an extra 10mpg I expect Rolling with laughter Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #861048 11th Oct 2020 9:18pm
LandRoverAnorak

I'd be disappointed at anything less Laughing Darren

Post #861051 11th Oct 2020 9:23pm
Tumbiri

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Re: Turbo Actuator
Fat Cog, LRA, I read your posts with great interest. My 2013 Puma 2.2 has strange power noises that crop up from time to time; sounds like the turbo is running or the engine revs are hanging. Having said that, I'm not really too sure what a running turbo should sound like (trying to decipher what is what with all the noise is not easy) and when it should kick in, and my RPM seems to hang at 2000 when changing gears (changing up). It was hanging before at 3000rpm but that snag looks like it has gone away after I changed the EGR valve (loss of power) which was flagged by the diagnostics. Maybe it's the same issue! I read on a post that the 2.2 rpm normally hangs to enable smooth gear changing. Not convinced.

My latest issue is with the MAF sensor wiring (I've ordered the MAF connector with wires, thanks LRA!) which results in limp mode, brings on the ENG light, and MAF sensor being flagged on diagnostics. When I fiddle with the wiring, all returns to normal. I'm wondering if the MAF sensor could also be causing the operation that creates the noise. I would have thought that a dodgy turbo actuator would show up a code. Do you know if there is one? Appreciate your comments.

Rikhi

Fat Cog wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
For some time now, my Defender has been suffering from a strange intake-related noise, almost like that of a dump valve fitted to boy racer hot hatches, and occasional power delivery hiccups, which were explored in this thread a few weeks ago. I even took it to my local independent LR garage, who couldn't find anything wrong. Anyway, as a bit of a gamble I decided to replace the turbo actuator, which seemed to be a likely suspect for the problem and so far, so good!

The actuator is located on top of the turbo on the right hand side of the engine and is relatively easy to access. It's secured with three torx head countersunk bolts through the turbo casting and is connected to the acuating rod for the vanes with a small circlip. The latter has a slot in the end to make it easy to remove with a small flat bladed screwdriver. There is also a large multi-plug that needs to be disconnected by squeezing the tabs on each side.

The old one removed showing the connector to the actuating rod:

Click image to enlarge

The new one prior to installation. The original is a Hella part whilst this is obviously a pattern part, purchased from eBay. The significant number when finding a replacement is the 'G-72' stamped on the side, which also exists on the Hella unit under the dirt:

Click image to enlarge

With the original unit removed I was able to check that the linkage was free and also add a bit of lubrication for good measure:

Click image to enlarge

And the new unit bolted into place:

Click image to enlarge

The whole job only took about half an hour to do and was quite easy. The results were immediately obvious with much smoother power delivery in first and second gear and no odd noises from the air intake. A definite result!

Brilliant post: my 2.2 has from new suffered (albeit too strong a word) from the occasional power surge followed by a strange turbo noise for a few minutes, the problem has mystified LR warranty (well there's a surprise) & only does it occasionally, perhaps once a month. I've always suspected it was linked to the turbo & this post would appear to be related to my issue, so thanks for flagging this up.
Post #861602 14th Oct 2020 8:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 40 of 57 <123 ... 394041 ... 555657>