↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 41 of 57 <123 ... 404142 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
No fault codes recorded for this, I'm afraid.

The 2.2 does include a feature that keeps the revs up slightly when changing gear. It should be barely noticeable in normal driving, though. I'm only really aware of it on those occasions where you go to change up and then something happens and you abort. If yours is holding at 2000 rpm then that sounds like something isn't right. Best to fix your MAF wiring to discount that before fiddling with anything else, though. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #861611 14th Oct 2020 9:18pm
Tumbiri

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Thanks Darren for the feedback. A clarification; the rpm hold at 2000 (about) only lasts a couple of seconds. And you are right, with normal gear changes this is not really noticeable. In an abort situation or when I purposely delay the gear change you can't fail to notice it. Should receive the connector in a week or so. Also ordered the solder sleeves. Thanks for that piece of information.

Rikhi
Post #861653 15th Oct 2020 12:08am
LandRoverAnorak

No problem.

It's sometimes quite difficult to diagnose problems over the 'net that you only hear or feel but on the face of it, it sounds like your rev hanging feature is working as it should. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #861662 15th Oct 2020 6:28am
Mitchnotrich

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
So, after my regular run to work and back today (which could be the last time for a while Shocked ), I'm pleased to confirm that my 110 has been transformed! Between the suspension refresh and the snorkel, it's like driving a different vehicle.

The latter, in particular, is a revelation. I wasn't really aware of a problem before but the power delivery is now so much smoother that I wonder how I managed. Gone is any hint of hesitation or jerkiness at low revs and it now pulls very smoothly throughout the whole rev range. The existing intake duct clearly just strangles all of the get up and go out of the engine. Whether by a snorkel like mine or an induction kit, I'd highly recommend allowing your Puma engine to breathe properly.

Thanks Darren, your walk through really helped me fit my Nakatanenga RAI. They still seem to have an aversion to sending fitting instructions.... and yes, pulls away much more smoothly and I don’t have a remap (yet...)

Cheers. Rich 90 - Gone but not forgotten
200 tdi - sold for a song
3 Discoveries - 1/2/3 - cost me a fortune but loved 'em all
2.4 Puma 90 - Current obsession
Post #861924 16th Oct 2020 3:33pm
LandRoverAnorak

That's great to know, Rich. Glad to have helped. Darren

Post #862005 16th Oct 2020 9:40pm
Andy RV

United Kingdom 
Great thread!

How are you getting on with the Britpart spare wheel carrier and does it change the increase height / position of the spare wheel? I’m planning to fit a NATO hitch onto the crossmember in the near future and from what I’ve read there is very little room between the hitch and spare wheel?..
Post #865067 2nd Nov 2020 8:41pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Andy.

The wheel carrier is great. I do need to re-fit it at some point but that's to substitute some of the bolts for stainless ones that didn't arrive in time when I first fitted it.

I haven't measured the height of the wheel but looking at before and after photos, I'd guess it's an inch or so higher now than on the original wheel carrier. That should make all the difference for a NATO hitch. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 2nd Nov 2020 10:22pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #865090 2nd Nov 2020 9:59pm
Andy RV

United Kingdom 
Thanks Darren!
Post #865097 2nd Nov 2020 10:18pm
keith

Scotland 
Re: MAF Sensor Wiring
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
A week or so ago whilst looking in the engine bay for something completely unrelated, I noticed that the wiring to the MAF sensor was damaged:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I can only assume that this is vibration damage, as this plug is at the end of quite a long section of unsupported loom.

Fortunately, help is at hand from the forum shop where it's possible to buy both new plugs and pre-wired plugs with a longish tail of cables. I opted for the latter, which turned up the next day:

Click image to enlarge

After removing the loom tape, opening up the split flexible conduit and carefully unwrapping more loom tape, I exposed the cables feeding this plug. With the new plug and loom section laid alongside, I cut each of the four cables in turn with each cut staggered by a couple of inches from the last. This was to to avoid a bulky section of cable that wouldn't fit back inside the conduit. I then trimmed the insulation from each cut end and spliced the together with solder sleeves:

Click image to enlarge

This is the first time that I've used the solder sleeves and they're quite neat, if a little fiddly.

And it all back together again:

Click image to enlarge

It isn't shown in this picture but I also cable tied the conduit to the foam reinforcement of the pipe behind, just to give it a little bit more support.

Darren

Did your engine fire up after this simple job ? I’m broken down engine won’t fire up

Keith
Post #865706 6th Nov 2020 2:08pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hi Keith,

Yes, it was absolutely fine.

I believe that the engine should run without a MAF at all so unless you've got the wires crossed it shouldn't be a show stopper. Darren

Post #865708 6th Nov 2020 2:10pm
keith

Scotland 
Yes your right Darren. But it’s now immobilised and just turning over. Completely baffled.
Thanks for the reply.

Keith
Post #865709 6th Nov 2020 2:16pm
keith

Scotland 
Post #865719 6th Nov 2020 3:38pm
LandRoverAnorak

That's good news Thumbs Up Darren

Post #865796 6th Nov 2020 10:27pm
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Hey Darren - a quick question on paint: specifically what did you use on the ends of the one-piece rear half shafts and when you sprayed the HD drive flanges? I may have take inspiration from your ever excellent thread yet again...
Post #867836 17th Nov 2020 1:25am
LandRoverAnorak

Hi MussEd,

The rears were primed and then given several coats of satin black. It was a Simoniz paint that I found in my local motor factors, which does appear to be harder than my usual go to of Halfords.

The fronts were treated the same except that they were etch primed first due to the zinc passivate coating. Darren

Post #867845 17th Nov 2020 7:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 41 of 57 <123 ... 404142 ... 555657>