↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Limp Mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Dave S

Northern Ireland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Limp Mode
Coming up from Tullamore yesterday with a decent load of Douglas fir on the 5 metre Brian James trailer. Cleared Dublin and heading north on the M1. Stopped to pay the toll and was accelerating away when engine management light comes on followed by limp mode. I don't think limp mode was designed to have about 3.5 tonnes on the back. Stopped at the next services for a fifteen minute coffee break and presto she was up and running again. Made a dash for home - about half way there she went into limp mode again - a pain in the arse and bloody dangerous with a loaded trailer. She is going to my local indy next week and hopefully they will be able to sort the problem out.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #852868 29th Aug 2020 10:22am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Im impressed you managed to pull any load in limp mode .
Have you a code reader ? The Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) will give you a good idea on what the problem is and the experts on here will be able to confirm.

Always handy to have a basic code reader with you in the truck, that way when these things inevitably happen when you are out you can get an idea what’s happening and potentially fix the issue.
Post #852883 29th Aug 2020 11:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mine did a very similar thing shortly after I bought it, again with a heavy trailer. In this case it was the classic split hose between the turbo and intercooler, where LR design genius allows the hose to be fitted so that it is in contact with the lower steering column.

It is possible you have a similar fault since you were probably using more boost with the trailer than usual. You would be best off reading the DTCs to see what faults are logged, but if it is a split hose or intercooler you may hear a hiss, whistle, or farty noise.

I agree with you, limp mode with a trailer is not great
Post #852887 29th Aug 2020 11:36am
Big Harold

Australia 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Alpine White
Mine did this on a very cold morning when I had a car trailer on the back.
Would only do it climbing hills under acceleration.
Fault was low fuel rail pressure,
I think it was caused by fuel being to thick to effectively transfer from fuel pump.
I just backed off going up hills until the air temp warmed up and have had no further problems.
Mark
Post #852896 29th Aug 2020 12:24pm
Dave S

Thanks for the suggestions. As for pulling in limp mode with a trailer on - I did more praying than the Defender did pulling! Dublin traffic, Friday rush hour is a great cure for constipation!
Post #852901 29th Aug 2020 12:41pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Haven’t had a tdci for years now, but I thought that a lot of people used to suffer with this, and was helped with bigger/updated intercooler. Or am I remembering incorrectly???
Post #852907 29th Aug 2020 1:36pm
Raj23

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
This video may have the answers you need

Post #853153 30th Aug 2020 7:12pm
Dave S

Thanks for the replys lads. She was sent off this morning to my local Indy so should have some news this week.
Post #853370 31st Aug 2020 4:24pm
Dave S

Got the Defender back from my local Indy. They have replaced the air flow sensor and the air filter - they said it looked a bit deformed. For a couple of days she ran sweet - I had been complaining for a week or two that the engine was really lumpy at low revs and hard to drive smoothly but that has disappeared. I has a power box fitted from Tdi Tuning and we originally thought this was causing the engine management light to come on ( didn't cause limp mode ). It was sent back to Tdi Tuning and came back with a clean bill of health. So, after a few days driving we decided to re - fit the box - lasted all of 48 hours and the engine management light is back on - but no limp mode. I am going to take the box off again, read the fault code and see what happens - last time it was showing turbo actuator. I thought a 4.4 V8 diesel Range Rover was troublesome!! Anybody else out there with similar issues?
Post #854543 6th Sep 2020 11:08am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If the DTC is thrown due to a particular set of circumstances, ie when you have the engine working hard due to towing, then it may be that there is a counter set for that DTC and only when it comes up several times during a certain time frame does it trigger the engine to go into limp mode.
The fact your air filter was distorted makes me wonder if the TDI tuning box , during these high load events, is asking the engine to draw more air through the filter than it is capable of delivering, hence causing it to distort, air starvation for the map, and DTC(s) being registered due to incorrect diesel air mix. Have you a genuine landrover air filter fitted ? They tend to perform better than after market ones. Well unless you fit a nugget stuff airbox upgrade.
Post #854548 6th Sep 2020 11:46am
Dave S

Thanks for the reply Ian. The tuning box had been disconnected about 2 weeks prior to the limp mode episode. Yes I use genuine filters. I think we will go back to the standard set up and see how she goes - fingers crossed!!
Post #854556 6th Sep 2020 1:14pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Mine occasionally goes into limp mode and the fault is always the throttle position sensor.

I delete the code and it's okay again, often for months.
Post #854565 6th Sep 2020 2:33pm
BenA

South Africa 
Big Harold wrote:
Mine did this on a very cold morning when I had a car trailer on the back.
Would only do it climbing hills under acceleration.
Fault was low fuel rail pressure,
I think it was caused by fuel being to thick to effectively transfer from fuel pump.
I just backed off going up hills until the air temp warmed up and have had no further problems.
Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm having the same problem as you. But only when warm,until then I zip around like nobody's business. But on the motor way up a hill, put my foot down and... Limp mode. Its throwing P228C Fuel regulator pressure too low.
Puma 2.2. Changed filter 6 times , VCV, cleaned fuel tank, checked turbo. Still does it. I can avoid it by not putting my foot down Uphill but it's a long day on the road.
Any takers?
Ben
Post #916858 14th Aug 2021 7:17am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
^^^ Mine used to do this after a long run, stop for fuel or some other reason and as soon as it was started it went into limp mode, had to turn it on and off three times to get it to run but still with Engine management light on. Once home and left overnight all would be ok until the next long run. Never did find the cause despite it going in for various tests.
Post #916871 14th Aug 2021 9:44am
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
@BenA The overheating up hill in 6th gear is the head gasket.

I have a nanocom, replaced everything around the engine and did all the tests and nothing made a difference.

My engine management light never came on, the temp would just go up, go into limp mode and then drop back to normal 10-15 seconds later. Was never fun on the motorway.
Post #916892 14th Aug 2021 12:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>