↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Limp Mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
BenA

South Africa 
Mines not an overheating problem, I've been running live data and the temp stays well within range. All looks and feels fine until I put my foot down and enter limp mode with that fuel low pressure code. I'm wondering if its actually got nothing to do with fuel pressure at all...
Post #916955 14th Aug 2021 5:26pm
LDH

Australia 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Alaska White
Hi,
I am having the same fault symptoms as you had, did you find a solution?
Cheers
Post #942524 14th Feb 2022 11:53pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
BenA wrote:
Mines not an overheating problem, I've been running live data and the temp stays well within range. All looks and feels fine until I put my foot down and enter limp mode with that fuel low pressure code. I'm wondering if its actually got nothing to do with fuel pressure at all...

If it's a 2.4 this could well be the VCV.
Post #942528 15th Feb 2022 12:12am
LDH

I’m having same fault as Ben on 2.2lt p228c no over heating not scv no fuel blockage.unsure of tank pump supply pressure spec
Post #942529 15th Feb 2022 1:39am
BenA

South Africa 
LDH wrote:
Hi,
Cheers

Nope, still struggling with this one. Had all the sensors 'cleaned' and she was running like a dream for a couple of weeks. One session on a bad dirt road and up to her old tricks. We then tried to fiddle with 2 sensors at a time and thought it was narrowed down to the fuel pressure sensor. It's permanently fixed to the rail, great thinking, anyway new fuel rail and sensor. Guess what, wasn't that. Chugging along again, ready to throw a match at it.
Post #942530 15th Feb 2022 2:00am
LDH

I’m thinking my tank pump is not suppling correct fuel to hp pump.trying to find correct spec isn’t easy.also I found fuel supply is connected to return in filter head,which seems odd.means fuel can go back to tank through filter head.have nothing to compare it to to eliminate fault with filter head.
Post #942532 15th Feb 2022 3:18am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Probably something like Blackwolf said due to higher load. (The boost pipe and steering column is very close indeed!)
Lubricate your turbo actuator pivots and check it’s operation, it will cause you limp mode and happened to me.
If it goes to under boost you’ll have basically no power, if it goes into over boost it’ll trigger limp mode and again no power.

That can be as simple as the turbo actuator pivot points becoming dry and sticky and this making the electronic actuator work harder.
It maybe pointless, but will cost you nothing.

I’d suggest removing the top EA circlip on the top actuator rod, careful not to lose it..
And open and operate the turbo watergate up and down carefully it should move freely enough.
Reassemble, and lubricate the two pivot points and the the piece where the actuator rod affixes to the turbo.

I tend to just use 3 in 1 light oil in a dripper bottle, occasionally.

You don’t need to do much and don’t spray lube all over the place or on the turbo it’s self especially not WD 40 or anything as the turbo gets very hot!

It’s worth doing, but often easily forgotten to do.
Even I forgot to do it and thus I had an issue with it.
Actuator got stuck, over-boost triggered limp mode on then had to drive home luckily I was only about 10 miles away though I had no dash light on mine.

DTC’s aren’t always guaranteed and sometimes you can get fakes which are non related too. Occasionally they can just be a good guide it isn’t fool proof.

I only looked into mine as I saw overboost and I thought that’s turbo related and it was.

Just an idea Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #942596 15th Feb 2022 5:21pm
LDH

Cheers for that,have already checked and lubed the actuator,checked all intake pipes and pressure tested intercooler among many other things.more than likely fuel related as code implies hopefully not injectors or pump.
Post #942649 15th Feb 2022 10:15pm
MSXuk86349

South Africa 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
PUMA 2.2 Limp Mode when going up a slight hill
BenA wrote:
LDH wrote:
Hi,
Cheers

Nope, still struggling with this one. Had all the sensors 'cleaned' and she was running like a dream for a couple of weeks. One session on a bad dirt road and up to her old tricks. We then tried to fiddle with 2 sensors at a time and thought it was narrowed down to the fuel pressure sensor. It's permanently fixed to the rail, great thinking, anyway new fuel rail and sensor. Guess what, wasn't that. Chugging along again, ready to throw a match at it.
@

BenA _ I have been having this problem for ages. We've had the rail and sensors checked (main dealer so $$) then we had the fuel tank emptied and the fuel pump & filter replaced. The engine itself is running like a dream BUT as soon as you get onto a road where you can get into and cruise in 5th or 6th gear and then drive up a slight incline, it goes into limp mode. Makes overtaking a potentially risky action. The yellow engine light comes on. If you then stop and turn off the ignition, full power is returned (yellow engine light stays on) and off you go again. Has mainly happened shortly after changing into 6th gear, although today we had the same happen in both 5th and 4th.

Any ideas anyone ?

By the way, we had the other know PUMA 2.2 issues - blown turbo hose (LR replaced). Premature clutch failure (LR replaced). This has been the most troublesome Defender I have ever had.
Post #943573 23rd Feb 2022 6:53pm
BenA

South Africa 
No, not resolved. I've been chatting to Linden above. Both struggling with similar symptoms and done lots to identify with no success. What is your error code?
Post #943574 23rd Feb 2022 6:59pm
MSXuk86349

Hi Ben,
Not sure but will check with the Indy who has been trying to get to the bottom of this.
Perhaps refer him to this forum !!!!!
Post #943576 23rd Feb 2022 7:02pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
This sounds very familiar to me albeit on my 2.4!

I had something similar and ended up replacing a lot of things in the engine that didnt need replacing!

Here's my thread... https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic75393.html

To save you reading to the end...it was the head gasket! The thread does detail symptoms and all the things I did to try and trouble-shoot.

One thing thats worth checking is after driving it up to running temp and leaving it for several hours, is the top pipe from the rad still pressurised and if you open the coolat cap, does air escape. Mine would stay pressurised over night. Also the RELD (sniff) test on the coolant never came back as positive for gas in the system so you can't trust a negative test.

I was talking to someone at the time who also had the same issue and had his head gasket replaced recently. After doing all the same things I did, he had his garage take a look and they found the previous garage had fitted the HG wrong so it had to be done again. This fixed his issues too.
Post #943595 23rd Feb 2022 8:13pm
BenA

South Africa 
I've wondered about this but I have no temperature issues when running live data....
Post #943599 23rd Feb 2022 8:28pm
MSXuk86349

Hi Greyman110,
Many thanks for the pointer to the thread.
In my case there is no temperature issue either before or after the "event" which triggers Limp Mode. I am pretty sure that there is no smoke either.
I am getting the error codes which my Indy has captured. Everything he saw seemed to point to fuel issues, but we have cleaned and tested and replaced. The main dealer tested the rail and sensors. But still we are stuck with it. True, you can turn of the ignition and re-start and full power returns as a "work-around" but it does not inspire confidence to go too far away ! Driving locally you would mostly not know there was an issue (usually in gears 1-5) but as soon as you hit the highway and get to more than 2300rpm in 6th, it goes. Yesterday, for the first time we had in in 5th - same circumstance of driving up a rise in the road and wanting a tiny bit more power. We also (yesterday) had it happen in 4th but hubby was driving and as a passenger, it felt like a slightly bum gear change after pulling away, that set it off.
Post #943645 24th Feb 2022 11:50am
MSXuk86349

The specific fault code
For those reading the thread, the Fault Code which comes up on the Analyser when this Limp Mode phenomenon occurs is : P228C-77 (28)
Post #943702 24th Feb 2022 7:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>