Home > Puma (Tdci) > Limp Mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
MSXuk86349

South Africa 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
LDH wrote:
Hi,
I am having the same fault symptoms as you had, did you find a solution?
Cheers

Hello LDH,
It would seem that BenA, you and I are having very similar problems with the error code P228C-77 (28).
We are all driving 2012 PUMA 2.2's.
What have you had done in a bid to diagnose & fix ? Do you still have the problem ?
Where are you based ?
Thx for any info
Post #943704 24th Feb 2022 7:43pm
LDH

Australia 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Alaska White
Still working on it,would like to do more testing but unable to for a while will let you know if and when I get a result.to busy at the moment Ben might help you further.have you had your injectors checked think that will be next and would like to change tank pump,I’ve cleaned mine was ok but may be failing.
Post #943745 25th Feb 2022 2:07am
Landborgini

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Limp mode
Had a similar problem which was limp mode as soon as engine was under load. Ended up being 2 faults which did make it harder to diagnose.

Faulty EGR Valve.
Slight split in one of the welds on the intercooler rad.

Hope you find the problem it very frustrating I know.
Post #943902 26th Feb 2022 1:53pm
LDH

Australia 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Alaska White
Do you know the fault codes causing limp mode i imagine you would have one for low boost and one for the egr position.I only have the p228c
Post #944003 27th Feb 2022 1:09pm
MSXuk86349

Update on P228C-77 (28) : Limp Mode issue on 2012 Puma TDCi
After a test drive with my Indy, it was seen that the voltage was unstable just before the LIMP MODE issue occurs. So all the electrics were checked out and what was described as a small fault, corrected. He has now also checked all the hoses to ensure no cracks or poor connections etc. All good. In addition before this, we put some "diesel clean" through a couple of tanks of diesel because the vehicle has spent time standing over the last few years.
Like BenA, we cleaned up the MAF sensor connections thoroughly (there was some corrosion/gunk) and wiring checked again. All good as new now !
Everything we've done has helped a little bit ..... and the engine is running like an absolute dream. Positively purring.
BUT ... we still have the LIMP problem in 6th gear when the engine comes under a little extra load. Even had it a few weeks ago on a extremely windy day driving head on into the wind when a massive gust hit.
And to repeat what I have said before ... around the houses (in 1-5 gears) you would never know there was an issue. I THINK (or maybe HOPE ?) we have it confined to 6th gear ... The fact it is only is 6th is the real brain teaser.
Currently on the track of looking at the high pressure fuel pump and sensors to see if replacement resolves. That will be some weeks or possibly months in the future due to part availability etc.
Post #951787 6th May 2022 1:01pm
MSXuk86349

Update on the P228C-77 (28) Limp Mode Issue
As I type this, I am not certain that we are there completely, but after having done the following over the past couple of years, and particularly, the last 4 months, we MAY have got to the root of it.
Apologies for repeating some of what I posted earlier, but this brings it all together.
The first stop (when this first happened) was with the MAIN LR DEALER who checked out the rail and the injectors - and no fault was found. Then Covid Lockdowns stopped play....
Fast forward to early 2022 ...
The fuel tank was cleaned and the fuel pump from the tank replaced. Some waxing & gunk was found. Also Diesel clean added to a couple of tanks of fuel over the course of the next couple of weeks. There was improvement, but it did not solve completely - still going into LIMP mode in 6th gear, the moment the engine came under any stress, like going up a rise in the road. Turning the ignition off and on again, returned full power - until it happens again - but the orange dash light stays on. The orange dash light goes off when left undriven for 24 hours or so.
Next - and this was in part due to BenA's experience, but also because a drive with the Analyser attached showed highly variable voltage just before it happened - we had the electrics deeply checked out, as well as MAP connections cleaned up. There was a small issue with the electrics, which was rectified, and also the MAP connections were a bit dirty/corroded. All sorted. Again, further improvement but not completely resolved. By this stage, however, we've become rather expert at managing the issue.
The engine (apart from this wretched LIMP mode issue) is absolutely purring.
Luckily, since 2022, we have been working with an Indy LR mechanic, who has been interested enough to want to work with us and get to the bottom of the issue. (An absolute ray of sunshine, and good humour during a frustrating journey !)
He suggested the only thing left was the high pressure fuel pump etc. This is a big job (as well as an expensive one) so some reluctance (both from him and us) to do it. However, that work has just been completed - and early test drives show promise. However, it would be wrong, given the long running, stubborn and knotty nature of this issue to claim victory yet.
I'll update again, when we've tested further and driven a lot more kms, but I wanted fellow Defender sufferers of this LIMP mode issue to know what we have done. It might help you.
Happy driving !
Post #954961 8th Jun 2022 5:11pm
MSXuk86349

Last Update on Defender 2012 2.2 TDCi Limp mode saga
To complete this thread, having replaced the HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP (the complete unit with sensors etc included) it appears that the problem is resolved. My previous posting relates the sad saga of what we tried.
As an aside, I estimate that I have spent around 100k ZAR (South African Rand) on the problem since it first occurred around 2.5 years ago. Partly the Covid pandemic slowed down progress because of lock downs, travel restrictions etc, but mostly it was down to no person (least of all Land Rover Dealers) seeming to know what the real cause of the issue has been.
Post #957374 5th Jul 2022 5:42pm
steve E

Wales 
Changed the EGR valve and MAF sensor
All sorted.
Post #957384 5th Jul 2022 6:46pm
MSXuk86349

Reply : P228C-77 (28) : Limp Mode issue on 2012 Puma TDCi
Hi Steve,
I think in the end we've ended up on pretty much around the same fix. In South Africa, you can't get the sensors separate to the HP fuel pump. Whichever, it's a significant job (ie. hours of labour to dismantle, replace and reassemble) to have to do.
Best of luck & wish you & the Landy, well.
Post #957446 6th Jul 2022 1:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123