Home > INEOS Grenadier > The first glimpse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
doublea wrote:
Allegro door handles..

Have you zoomed in to look at the hinges? They look like they came from B&Q Laughing
Post #836728 12th Jun 2020 10:27am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Jeep Wins in Legal Fight Over Mahindra Roxor
I wonder if this story will have any ripples on the current design?

"As we've covered over the past three years, FCA has been pursuing a stop-sale order of the utility vehicle as it closely resembles its classic Jeep CJ models in six key areas. A judge supported Jeep's claims in November 2019 and now, the United States International Trade Commission has issued a similar ruling that spells bad news for Mahindra."

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34061/jeep-w...ndra-roxor
Post #836850 12th Jun 2020 6:49pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Mahindra having been making that jeep—a-like for decades too. I suppose the advantage Jeep have is that they still produce the wrangler, whereas the Defender has gone. I think if the Grenadier really does end up looking very similar to a Defender JLR won’t ignore it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #836852 12th Jun 2020 6:57pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Didn't JLR lose a bid to patent the Defender shape recently? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #836885 12th Jun 2020 10:13pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I think it was a trademark or IP infringment case they lost. But I'm guessing there are various legal avenues they could explore. They won that case against the Chinese firm making knock off evoques. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #836895 12th Jun 2020 11:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ah yes, trademark not patent:

https://www.cityam.com/jim-ratcliffe-wins-...der-shape/
Given who they lost that battle to, I doubt that Ineos will worry too much about the Jeep case. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #836896 13th Jun 2020 12:12am
Supacat

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post806647...ark#806647

I think the basis of the trademark case and the Jeep one are completely different. One was also a US case which may have had a bearing on its outcome.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ineos get their legal team to review the case and put it into context with regard to their operations.
Post #836916 13th Jun 2020 6:09am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Didn't JLR lose a bid to patent the Defender shape recently?

I'd strongly suggest (from a logical, not legal standpoint), that if your new badged vehicle looks nothing like its predeccesor, you should have no right to the looks of the former. If you have DNA that has clearly transfered from one generation to the next, and continues to in the current model, (think G-Wagen and the aforementioned Jeep) then maybe. But the moment the new Def was announced and launched, any hold on the original shape was voided. IMHO. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #836919 13th Jun 2020 6:53am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Supacat wrote:
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post806647...ark#806647

I think the basis of the trademark case and the Jeep one are completely different. One was also a US case which may have had a bearing on its outcome.

There are some country that are hugely protectionist about anything that's from or made there: manufacturing, money, IP, brands, even people. They think they're the best, they defend them come-what-may, and not always with what might be seen as fairness in other countries. And then there are other countries who do naff all. They bleat on about how great they are, but want to be seen to be 'fair' and 'playing on a level playing field' or 'following the rules' and bend over backwards to do the opposite of protecting their nation and their heritage for fear of being called jingoists.

Of the former, the US is certainly one, it is the best at everything, and that is even more the case with Trump at the wheel. So any court case in the US will always err on the side of a US firm. Closer to home, its France. They will do anything to protect their nation, even if it bends European rules. Look at the farmers who spolied millions of litres of Spanish wine (of which the french drink huge amounts because its so good when compared with French, equivalently priced wine) all over the roads. Gendarmes stood by and did nothing. You can better your bottom dollar that our police would be doing everything they could to stop the demo. But the lily-livered response is always taken by the UK. Always got to be seen to do the right thing, even whilst those around us bend and break rules, or even if they don't, just act with a little less than impartiality.

And if you want a sporting metaphor for a country's attitude, look at cycling. When the 2012 Olympics came to town, the route chosen for the men's cycling event included numerous laps of Box Hill. At the time, Mark Cavendish was the world's best sprinter, but as anyone who follows cycling knows, not a good climber. If you throw in numerous laps of a steep hill like Box Hill, it becomes much harder to control the race, much harder to ensure a sprint finish, much less chance the world's best sprinter will be there to contest for gold. And it came to pass. Couldn't have chosen a harder route for him. But we have to be fair. Wouldn't have happened anywhere else, and certainly not the US or France. And I don't say this as some xenophobe, I think nations should be proud enough to protect their own interests. But you can see it every year in the Tour de France when the route is designed to negate an overseas rider's strengths and pass them to the French hot shot. And why not, it's a French race. As long as it's not taking the p***, which it sometimes does, because if that doesn't work, you can always manipulate the race.

A few years back, a couple of riders were docked time for taken a water bottle from a spectator during a particularly hard ascent. Fair enoigh, that's the rules and they knew they were breaking them. No complaints by them or their teams, fines accepted. But when footage emerged of the top French rider (Bardet) doing the same thing on the same climb, rather than also docking him time, they reinstated the time to the other two riders. Their time had no outcome on the race, but by Bardet keeping his time, it ensured a podium finish in Paris rather than an ignominious 4th place. Blatent, and no amount of complaining by teams, world media, ex-pro riders, pundits etc changed the decision of the organisers. Had that been in the UK you can bet your bottom dollar that the organisers would have done everything to follow the rules and fine the British rider the maximum, rather than help him/her.

Anyway, long way of saying protectionism. Americans and others good at it, UK not. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #836922 13th Jun 2020 7:11am
Supacat

Grenadier wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

I'd strongly suggest (from a logical, not legal standpoint), that if your new badged vehicle looks nothing like its predeccesor, you should have no right to the looks of the former. If you have DNA that has clearly transfered from one generation to the next, and continues to in the current model, (think G-Wagen and the aforementioned Jeep) then maybe. But the moment the new Def was announced and launched, any hold on the original shape was voided. IMHO. Thumbs Up

I'd have to agree, and possibly go further.

There's certainly precedence in the car industry for leading car manufacturers to obtain valuable revenue from selling on manufacturing kit, processes, and manufacturing rights when they move to a new platform. Perhaps the Lotus 7 is the easiest example to point at, but there are many others, Aston Martin being the latest.

The fact that JLR, or should that be cash-strapped JLR, refused to engage with INEOS for the old Defender line tells a tale of just how unconfident they were with developing the new model. I'm sure it was not in terms of direct competition for the core market, but having someone else go on and make a vehicle better than they had, address some of it's failings and generally show them up was not something they could even countenance.

And look at the history of new car startups ~ it's hardly a cast iron route to success.

For me, it's a real marker for the fragility of the current senior management at JLR; not that there isn't a long line of other such decisions /non-decisions that shows why they are in the mess they are now.
Post #836929 13th Jun 2020 7:39am
Supacat

Supacat wrote:
Setok wrote:
Supacat wrote:
The rear detail on the top and bottom edges of the front doors intrigues me ~ they appear to be chamfered, and I'm trying to think of an engineering justification rather than a design one?

Click image to enlarge

Extra strength for the B pillar at the corners?

I hadn't looked at it that way around ~ it does make sense Thumbs Up

So this appears to have turned into a red herring?

But what about that box underneath?

Click image to enlarge

Whilst looking underneath I can't seem to locate the fuel tank?
Post #841329 2nd Jul 2020 5:17pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I was actually wondering if that thing is the fuel tank.
Post #841373 2nd Jul 2020 8:47pm
Supacat

From the previous side shots it seems to sit too low ~ not just for a fuel tank but for anything permanent. I was hoping that is was just a piece of test equipment; but then why is it here in this video?

It's not a bad position for a fuel tank, although the close proximity of the exhaust and the fact that it isn't evenly displaced across the centreline might be issues.

Thinking of fuel tanks ~ what if these were under the seat boxes and you could swap between the two like a military version? It never bothered me sitting on one ~ but then I never rolled one!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #841557 3rd Jul 2020 5:17pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

https://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/news/jaguar-l...ratcliffe/ Rgds.

Chris
Post #841573 3rd Jul 2020 5:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234