↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender is a small Discovery.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
pcoote

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
All this pent up drama, we are being played like fools. There will never/can never be a replacement for the Defender. Why do you peeps even want a replacement ?
A Defender is all about keeping it until death do us part, not for me playing the manufactures game of a replacement cycles, like it’s a mobile phone. Infotainment systems, I’ve watched the YouTube vids and they seems like slow motion nightmares that don’t work if the sunshines.
If you’ve moved on to a jeeps, Kias, Suzukis, G-wagons or whatever good luck to you but please get off this forum.
Land Rover please don’t call this car a DEFENDER, because it won’t be.
I might even end up buying one but not as a replacement for my Defender, I don’t ever envisage ever replacing it.
Post #768676 15th Apr 2019 1:33pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I’m looking at getting a land cruiser whilst retaining my defender... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #768680 15th Apr 2019 1:59pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Like Pcoote I may end up buying a new Defender if it meets our needs but it will be a replacement for our Disco Sports, not a replacement for our Defender Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #768681 15th Apr 2019 2:36pm
Gone Bushy

United Kingdom 
JLR have fallen a long way down the Rabbit hole.............3 words, Jimny, G-wagon, Wrangler
Post #768685 15th Apr 2019 3:05pm
LiftedDisco

Wow... so many words, so many opinions - even going as far as saying if you’ve bought another model, then it’s time to leave Def2!

Shocked

It really is time to realise (and accept) that evolution has to take place - new Mini is a) no longer new; b) nothing like ‘old’ Mini and c) overall pretty much better than the original iteration!

New Defender / Forthcoming Defender / Overdue Defender will be an absolute winner when it comes to off-road capability - I’ve followed prototype vehicles around Eastnor and have also done some extreme (very extreme) stuff with current LR product as absolutely ‘out of the box’ (3,000 miles on the clock, FFRR on road tyres...) that simply couldn’t have been undertaken with an original Defender.

Sorry if that sounds like complete heresy, but it’s true...

Would I want to maintain one in extreme conditions - hell, no but there were any number of folks who thought we were doomed when we went over from 300 Tdi to TD5 and similar moments of crisis when the D3 was originally launched and yet there are now many, many home maintained (and off-road equipped) D3’s to be found in daily use.

Looks - I’ve been told (by someone who has seen the impending vehicle in the flesh, so to speak) that I will ‘like’ the new Defender but I’m quite likely to be keen to swap the D5 for one when we have a bit more news!

I’m keen to see the progress and fully understand the commercial need to deliver vehicles for 2020 and beyond... dare I suggest that the next real challenge (and, I suspect, the reasoning behind the delayed launch...) will be getting a meaningful PHEV or fully electric version to function in a whole-world off-highway capability scenario...
Post #768740 15th Apr 2019 8:04pm
mikelike

Yes , so as predicted the new Defender is a re bodied Discovery 5 .

Standard factory capability , but not very tuneable !

Premium durability ? Google Disco 5 problems , electronic nightmare !

Why a disco chassis ? Because Land Rover is cost cutting and does not have the means and inclination to develop a bespoke Defender that has tunability and bushability !

If this Defender is perceived to be another soft roader , all credibility is lost , and it will only scavenge sales from other
JLR products .

Talk to the Jeep boys and the most exciting thing about the new Jeep is the truck bed Gladiator . This by the way will be a huge success because this is what consumers are buying globally , double cab pick ups !

How is Land Rover going to make this , a one tonne carrying , 3.5 tonne pulling , truck bed successfully on a Discovery 5 chassis ?

We all love the Defender 90 , but who is going to buy it , especially this at a premium ?
We all buy a 110 for practical reasons of more luggage space etc , but the dimensions of the new Pretender do not look promising as far as a great leap forward on practicality reasons .

Take the Evoque for example , the two door looked way better than the four door , but no one bought it and JLR dropped it .

Are we going to see the Defender2 in the middle east in huge numbers , will we see it in the Australian bush in numbers ,
In Africa in numbers , or will we see it mainly in urban areas , close to dealers with scan tools and leafy suburbs ?
Post #769297 19th Apr 2019 10:57pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
discomog wrote:
Like Pcoote I may end up buying a new Defender if it meets our needs but it will be a replacement for our Disco Sports, not a replacement for our Defender

Snap, except it will replace the Shogun (or not). ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #769471 21st Apr 2019 3:48pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Discovery Sport Up to £3,500
Discovery Up to £7,000
New Range Rover Evoque £1,000
Range Rover Velar Up to £4,080
Range Rover Sport Up to £1,000
Range Rover Up to £1,000

Interesting to see the Disco 5 have the highest dealer contribution in the latest marketing blurb I've received. A symptom of its poor sales?

I'm just reading an article about the Bollinger B1 and can't help thinking this is exactly what I would want from the new Defender :

"In short, the goal is to create a nondisposable truck: a 4x4 rugged enough to last for decades, simple enough for its owner to modify and flexible enough to evolve alongside rapidly advancing battery technology."

https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/bollin...r-need-buy
Post #771355 3rd May 2019 12:58pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I think it is, its been the best one to get discounts on at the dealer for sometime i managed almost 20% on my current when you unpick the deal - dealer contribution, LR contribution, inflated exchange on my trade in and "special" loyalty APR. Talking to dealer about a Defender x at the moment and the long lead-times i was offered a brand new 20 plate D5 same spec as my current for almost no cost to swap to tide me over. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #821750 28th Mar 2020 8:36am
Morepower

New Zealand 
@Supacat.... The D5 line was designed to build 150000 vehicles a year... since 2017, LR have sold 43000 2017... (probably incs late run out D4's) 43000 in 2018 and 35000 in 2019.... you can see there's an awful load of spare capacity... (Hence the New Defender being based on the D5).... It's also the reason why they are being offered at such knock down prices...

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #821838 28th Mar 2020 5:51pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I think I saw one today. We were out for a walk and this generic blue modern LR was coming towards us. I assumed it was a Range Evoqery or something, but as it went past, from the back, with its spare on the door, it might have been one of the new ones.

Or not.
Post #826348 19th Apr 2020 10:50am
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
Spotted same one probably. I was on way back from dropping my 17yr old daughter into work, i was on M42 jct 9 Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #826872 21st Apr 2020 6:59pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Taymar Blue per chance? It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #826879 21st Apr 2020 7:11pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
No idea of the name of the colour, but mine was in the A6 in south Leicestershire heading towards Leicester.
Post #826887 21st Apr 2020 7:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12