↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Negativity
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Why does it matter what anyone else thinks of the Slovakian Defender? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #813048 1st Feb 2020 11:26am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Slovakian SUV? Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #813059 1st Feb 2020 12:58pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Bluest wrote:
That’ll be the Ineos Grenadier, we have whole section on the Forum for it Thumbs Up

https://www.defender2.net/forum/ineos-grenadier-vf57.html

That’s it, yes. Which of course maybe where a lot of us move on to.
Post #813061 1st Feb 2020 1:10pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Negativity
Jeepmadmike wrote:
So why the massive negativity for the new defender....

Two, rather obvious, main reasons IMO.

1. The new Defender has absolutely nothing in common with the old except the name, which it is unworthy to carry. It is a new Discovery, not a Defender. Versatility has apparently been replaced with "verticality" (whatever that might be).

2. This is a forum aimed specifically at people who are (sometimes irrationally) interested in and passionate about the old, classic Defender. As a result of 1 above, they will in the main have little interest in a vehicle which is so far removed from the original Land-Rover (later Defender) concept.
Post #813073 1st Feb 2020 1:52pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Jeepmadmike wrote:
The Luddites seem to be scared of wires and computers....

No one is scared of wires and computers, just the way JLR put these wires and computers in their vehicles. Ask the man responsible for their warranty claims, or the bod responsible for all the quarantined new ones in Nitra?

If you ignore the evidence in front of you, it's willful blindness.
Post #813075 1st Feb 2020 1:56pm
Buran

Croatia 
Re: Negativity
blackwolf wrote:
Jeepmadmike wrote:
So why the massive negativity for the new defender....

Two, rather obvious, main reasons IMO.

1. The new Defender has absolutely nothing in common with the old except the name, which it is unworthy to carry. It is a new Discovery, not a Defender. Versatility has apparently been replaced with "verticality" (whatever that might be).

2. This is a forum aimed specifically at people who are (sometimes irrationally) interested in and passionate about the old, classic Defender. As a result of 1 above, they will in the main have little interest in a vehicle which is so far removed from the original Land-Rover (later Defender) concept.

Despite not actually owning one but driven many times offroad, and appreciating extremely the history, legacy and of course ruggedness and capability of the legendary series - I was really looking forward to the New Defender...

I’ve been waiting for some time now for the new series to become available. I was hoping that the main idea will be kept - and as it became more and more obvious that it won’t... I kept finding excuses to continue waiting for it.

I’m very open minded about this. Dissappointed but “recovering” from it. And as you pointed out that “Defender” is the name this new whatever-mixup is unworthy to carry - why are you so certain?

If it turns out this one is as capable and decently reliable, plus safer and more comfortable - than THE Defender, will you be able to look beyond the more “softer” appearance and a truckload of electronic gizmos (as I said - if its reliable)?
Post #813683 5th Feb 2020 12:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It depends on what you mean by "capable".

Since it is clearly impossible to do with the new one many of the things that can be done with the old then in my book it is already less capable. I accept that it might go anywhere the old one can (except through a width barrier or into a standard parking space) but you can't fit an underlift, fire pump, mobile workshop, cherry-picker, snow plough, camper pod, missile system, chain gun, etc, you can't unbolt the roof, and you probably can't drive it out of the Namib desert after the oil pump has failed, all of which you can with the old one.

If you are the sort of Defender owner with several other vehicles who thinks it is a Discovery, then the new one is probably perfect.
Post #813700 5th Feb 2020 7:55am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Supacat wrote:
Jeepmadmike wrote:
The Luddites seem to be scared of wires and computers....

No one is scared of wires and computers, just the way JLR put these wires and computers in their vehicles. Ask the man responsible for their warranty claims, or the bod responsible for all the quarantined new ones in Nitra?

If you ignore the evidence in front of you, it's willful blindness.

I tend to agree with the JLR fear factor... Shocked

We moved into our small 'hamlet' 23 years ago, 13 houses, a farm, a church, and not much else, when we arrived the Land Rover head count went up to 7... today it stands at 3.

A short story, a neighbours took delivery of one of the very first RR SVR's in 2014, she has had 3 since then, until
last year when her 2018 model on its umpteenth trip back to the dealer for a mix of electoral and mechanical problems finally blew one of its turbos, all under warrantee, she decided enough was enough... a visit to Land Rover with her husband was the confirmation to this change of heart (she has had 8 Land Rovers from being taught to drive by her father in a Series III) at Land Rover they were amazed to see the body off her vehicle in order to repair it, I believe this is not uncommon for the RR sport Exclamation

They decided to call time, we live 5 miles from Porsche UK and they admit (initially) they entered reluctantly but since 'crossing over to the dark side' as she puts it, her Panamera has replaced one more Land Rover locally, and in it's first year covered just shy of 50K miles all trouble free. Both vehicles are similarly priced and for the use that she subjected them to also similar, long distance, all weather, year round trips.

I wanted the new Defender to remain an outcast (all be it a now legal one) and resist the more and more tech and 'luxury' over adaptability and practicality direction of travel... get this right (for Defender) and solve the reliability 'problem' and this combined would be a step forward. Tech is fine if it's truly sorted, time will tell for Defender II,

If I'm honest I still after 7 years have a nagging feeling that I'm taking a risk with the Puma over it's 300tdi predecessor. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #813719 5th Feb 2020 9:24am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..well..defender2 shows clearly one thing only..JLR simply do not want to make money..
Post #813864 6th Feb 2020 7:59am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I'm really not sure its 'NEGATIVITY', I'm more inclined to use the word 'DISAPPOINTMENT'...

Unlike most, Defender/Series owners are enthusiasts (they need to be) who passionately love their vehicles, whereas the vast majority of folk just want an efficient, comfy vehicle which could almost fall into 'white goods' category...the new Defender sadly falls into the latter, it'll be amazing but will have joined the ranks of dozens of other efficient 'white goods' with wheels on.

As for me, with the brass I would've needed to part-ex my Defender to the new 'Defendsicovery 6' is going into the purchase of a Willys Jeep which will sit next to my Wolf...apparently (according to my wife), I'm in need of therapy...again! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #813878 6th Feb 2020 9:34am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Fat Cog - that sounds like an excellent choice!
Post #813885 6th Feb 2020 10:07am
Slideywindows

England 
Fat Cog, put up a pic when you get it!
Post #813980 6th Feb 2020 8:34pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Hey Slideywindows...I most certainly will; I'm actually going for a Hotchkiss M201 Jeep, currently waiting on a potential seller deciding whether he can emotionally let go of his beloved Jeep (as a lifelong LR owner, I understand his separation anxiety!). If this one falls through I'm not rushing as I want one 'on the button', I've got enough projects with two Defenders!!!

The main thing is that my Bank Manageress & purse holder Mrs Fat Cog has granted me permission to make the purchase of another, quote "heap of junk"...shame no to waste such an opportunity!!!! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #813990 6th Feb 2020 9:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12