↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Main Grenadier discussion thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 102 <123 ... 101112 ... 100101102>
Print this entire topic · 
RDR

United Kingdom 
quite intrigued as to what they will come up with. Do we know if it will be commercial only or they will offer a passenger vehicle option? guess commercial is easier to start with due to less safety/red tape hurdles? 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #808399 1st Jan 2020 5:46pm
Slideywindows

England 
After the awful let-down many of us have felt this year (you know why), wouldn't it be ironic - and somewhat sad - if this vehicle actually excited us and gave us some positivity?

I hope it does.

Look forward to seeing it.
Post #808402 1st Jan 2020 5:56pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
RDR wrote:
quite intrigued as to what they will come up with. Do we know if it will be commercial only or they will offer a passenger vehicle option? guess commercial is easier to start with due to less safety/red tape hurdles?

The computer generated styling model I've seen was a station wagon, not unlike a 110 SW 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #808405 1st Jan 2020 6:19pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
RDR wrote:
quite intrigued as to what they will come up with. Do we know if it will be commercial only or they will offer a passenger vehicle option? guess commercial is easier to start with due to less safety/red tape hurdles?

From what I have read there will be multiple variants, and enough options to keep a current Defender owner happy.

Invitees to the Projekt Grenadier supplier day had the chance to hear about Projekt Grenadier, INEOS Automotive, and the original offroaders inspiring its new 4x4:

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Supacat on 2nd Jan 2020 6:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #808408 1st Jan 2020 6:30pm
Supacat

Slideywindows wrote:
After the awful let-down many of us have felt this year (you know why), wouldn't it be ironic - and somewhat sad - if this vehicle actually excited us and gave us some positivity?

I hope it does.

Hey nothing sad about it. The lunatics have taken over the asylum at JLR, indeed its been indies that have kept more of us on the road than ever.

The benchmark for me with Grenadier will not be my current Defender but what else is there on the market to match it at the price point. At present, I can only think of an Ibex.

I'm also happy to purchase another vehicle that can legitimately be called British.
Post #808412 1st Jan 2020 6:37pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
You need a Datsun Cashcow in that case.......... Laughing
Post #808425 1st Jan 2020 8:24pm
Supacat

Yes, it may be a contentious issue. I thought I had phrased my words carefully regarding the vehicle rather than the company being British.

"According to the AA, which produces a guide to buying British cars, there are only three fully British-owned car manufacturers in the UK: Morgan, Caterham** and McLaren."

This surprises me as I thought Morgan was now Italian owned, and McLaren has been funded by Middle Eastern money for many years. Ariel appears to be missing completely.*

" The AA also lists models that are assembled in Britain, but which do not have British owners. These include Mini, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lotus, Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Land Rover and Vauxhall."

Then to confuse things further you have things like:

"The car manufacturing process is highly intertwined with the customs union that the UK will leave as part of a hard Brexit. The crankshaft of a BMW Mini, for example, crosses the channel three times, travels 2,000 miles and visits England, France and Germany during its manufacture."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/apr...itish-cars

*"Other niche, small volume manufacturers include Westfield, Bristol, Ariel and Noble."
https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/cars-made-in-britain

** If you follow Caterham ownership back to it's ultimate holding company then it's 100% Malaysian owned.
Post #808440 2nd Jan 2020 7:08am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Ineos is an Anglo Swiss company.
The car has been designed in Germany and Austria. Off-the-shelf engines will also be bought from there. The chassis and body will be built in Portugal.
Then shipped over for final assembly in Wales so legally it can claim to be ‘Made in Britain’.
Not sure if it's truly British but I don't think that will harm sales. It may even be a plus to potential customers regarding preconceptions about reliability, manufacturing etc. Ratcliffe obviously chose stock BMW engines, German design and Portuguese manufacturing for a reason. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #808444 2nd Jan 2020 8:04am
Supacat

Very Happy
Post #808447 2nd Jan 2020 10:29am
Supacat

Zed wrote:
Ineos is an Anglo Swiss company.

Ineos is a beast of an organisation with many different arms, however, it would appear that the company building the vehicle is Ineos Automotive Ltd. A UK based company with entirely British directors and if you follow the chain of shareholdings for it back through the various holding companies you arrive at Ineos Industries Ltd, where there is 1 active person with significant control - Mr Mr James Arthur Ratcliffe listed as Nationality - British & Country of residence - United Kingdom. There is a further holding company arrangement in place with Ineos Ltd, but this arrives at the same result.

For taxation purposes the company states "All the Company's operations are in the UK".

Not sure how much money is being spent on the venture through separate companies - such as INEOS AUTOMOTIVE RESEARCH LIMITED - but up to 31st Dec 2018 they had got through £51m. I imagine that will have ramped up significantly in 2019.

I think the vehicles produced will pass most widely recognised definitions of being British.
Post #808451 2nd Jan 2020 10:55am
spudfan

Ireland 
Some one at JLR is probably saying
"We should do something like that". Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #808454 2nd Jan 2020 11:13am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:
Slideywindows wrote:

I hope it does.

Hey nothing sad about it. The lunatics have taken over the asylum at JLR, indeed its been indies that have kept more of us on the road than ever.

The benchmark for me with Grenadier will not be my current Defender but what else is there on the market to match it at the price point. At present, I can only think of an Ibex.

I'm also happy to purchase another vehicle that can legitimately be called British.

Fitted with a BMW engine, how is that British? It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #808485 2nd Jan 2020 4:28pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
do BMW still have an engine plant at Hams Hall? DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #808492 2nd Jan 2020 5:47pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
People still class Bentley, Rolls Royce and MINI as British........
Post #808493 2nd Jan 2020 5:48pm
Supacat

oneten110 wrote:

Fitted with a BMW engine, how is that British?

Not just any BMW engine, perhaps a bespoke spec one?

"According to sources in the industry, INEOS is quite peculiar about the sort of work these BMW engines will have to perform. They should have worldwide homologation and be able to run using low-quality fuels in places where that’s the only choice you get. Therefore, BMW has apparently set aside a budget to adapt and maybe even develop new engines for INEOS alone, that would perform the way they’re expected to. The Germans foresee the delivery of a ‘high-range five-digit number of engines.’"
https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/03/19/bmw-ann...utomotive/
Post #808507 2nd Jan 2020 6:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 102 <123 ... 101112 ... 100101102>