↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Td5 starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
othorton wrote:
Strangely mine has started doing this as we've moved into winter. Irrespective of how long I leave the ignition on before turning the key, it turns over once and then conks out, then on the second attempt it starts right up. This only happens if the defender has been sat overnight and gotten very cold. If I'm using it during the day it's absolutely fine. Has just had the fuel pump checked so it's not that.

I don't really have an issue with turning it over twice first thing in the morning, providing doing that isn't damaging the engine in any way.

What do you mean by conks out? Have you done the starter solenoid fix? 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #804451 2nd Dec 2019 2:34pm
dorsetsmith

Post #804456 2nd Dec 2019 3:10pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
4RF RDS wrote:
othorton wrote:
Strangely mine has started doing this as we've moved into winter. Irrespective of how long I leave the ignition on before turning the key, it turns over once and then conks out, then on the second attempt it starts right up. This only happens if the defender has been sat overnight and gotten very cold. If I'm using it during the day it's absolutely fine. Has just had the fuel pump checked so it's not that.

I don't really have an issue with turning it over twice first thing in the morning, providing doing that isn't damaging the engine in any way.

What do you mean by conks out? Have you done the starter solenoid fix?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/conk-out
Post #804480 2nd Dec 2019 6:13pm
4RF RDS

Laughing Rolling with laughter yah I got that part... it dies after running is what I was looking for the OP to confirm. Thumbs Up 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Post #804482 2nd Dec 2019 6:19pm
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Re: Starting problem
blackwolf wrote:
Gozy wrote:
Hi thanks very much for your help regarding our starting problem. First port of call was to change the fuel filter which I’ve done and it’s sorted. I am a little surprised the exciting One had done only 5000 miles but I suppose if it’s dirty it’s done it’s job. I’ve been buying Esso fuel for the last 12000 miles and she seems to of been fine. Don’t run the tank to empty or near so a mystery. Still I now have some spares in a new return valve and little reddish rubber valve which wasn’t mentioned in the work shop manual will take photos and post , oh and four new heater plugs. Thanks again to all happy Landying.

Why do you think running the tank close to empty would make a difference? The fuel pick-up is still in the same place!

I guess it’s normally because all of the Censored floats on the top, and therefore gets sucked in when you are empty.
I have never had the problem myself and I quite often tun till the light comes on.
Post #804499 2nd Dec 2019 7:20pm
othorton

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
4RF RDS wrote:

What do you mean by conks out? Have you done the starter solenoid fix?

That was poorly phrased by me ... I meant to say it fails to catch and fire up on the first turn. Second turn of the key it fires immediately.
Post #804519 2nd Dec 2019 8:55pm
4RF RDS

Suggest you look at the starter as I posted previously. Thumbs Up

Good luck. 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
1967 MGB GT

Post #804520 2nd Dec 2019 8:57pm
othorton

Thanks! Will let you know if I find anything useful.
Post #804526 2nd Dec 2019 9:36pm
Piggle

2003 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Hi Othorton, did you have any joy resolving the starting problem?

Per my earlier post I mentioned that changing glow plugs fixed my similar issue...alas the starting problem has reoccurred (within a few days).

Pretty much always starts on the second turn of the key, and problem only apparent when having sat unused for c.12 hours.

Cheers
Piggle
Post #805923 12th Dec 2019 11:14am
othorton

Hi Piggle,

It's been a bit of a funny one - following the last week of somewhat more mild weather the defender started up first time after being left overnight/an extended period of time. It seems to me that the only times the second key turn is required is when the defender has sat over night and the weather has gotten very cold. My belief is that either the glow plugs are deficient, or the battery isn't quite powerful enough.

Admittedly I haven't done anything about it because it's not worrying me too much. 4RF RDS made a pertinent point that it might be to do with your starter solenoid, but for me, given it seems to only be an issue when the engine is cold and the weather also cold, I don't think it's that - though it might be for you.

It might just be that our defenders don't like winter Laughing

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Thanks,

Oliver
Post #805926 12th Dec 2019 11:25am
Piggle

2003 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Bonatti Grey
hmm very interesting...have noticed the same with mine re cold weather. Infact, just returned from screwfix with a multimeter which hopefully I will have time to test the battery with over the course of the weekend. I know my battery is at least 5 years old, so possibly the culprit.

I'll let you know if any eureka moment from my side Thumbs Up
Post #805975 12th Dec 2019 2:51pm
Gozy

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Aintree Green
Hi all just changed the wiring harness found oil in the red ECUs plug. Start fine when cold and Went well went well. Started when hot but turned over 4 or 5 times what should I look at next. Cheers.
Post #808067 30th Dec 2019 3:51pm
Adammacky

United Kingdom 
Mine had similar troubles, turned out it was the injector harness plug, pins were water damaged, got a new harness and problem solved, this was after replacing a lot of other things thinking they were the problem. Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #809329 8th Jan 2020 11:34am
Gozy

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Aintree Green
Starting problems.
Thanks Adammacky like wise changed the wiring harness but like I said previously had a touch of oil on the red plug Into th ecu. Cleaned all that up so fingers cross. Also have checked the heater plugs 3 seem to be not working. I have new so will look at changing them before any cold weather. But is starting on the button with the milder weather. Also changed the battery that was needed too. Time I finish probably be all new. 🙄 Thanks all keep posting. 👍
Post #809342 8th Jan 2020 12:57pm
Silvertoolbox

United Kingdom 
Keep in mind cold will affect battery performance. Could be a cumulative effect of a few things being "off".
Fixing one fault might not be enough and lack of fix may not mean what you changed wasn't partly at fault.
Joys of older motors... Ex scottish & southern 110 Td5 van (shed) with PTO driven winch (L-R special vehicles)
Before that, Disco 1, Freelander 1, 26105382 80" with a 1600cc (not much slower)
Post #809590 9th Jan 2020 5:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>