↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > BEV Defender.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
[quote="Supacat"]These ones?

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic44490...t=electric[/quote

I think thems the ones
Post #805880 12th Dec 2019 3:50am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Electric Classic Cars (@elecclassiccars) Tweeted:
450kgs surplus to requirements dropped off the Defender this week.

#electriclandrover #electricdefender https://t.co/wvJsIkmxIJ https://twitter.com/elecclassiccars/status...44224?s=20

Click image to enlarge
Post #806092 13th Dec 2019 6:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I see on their twitter post that they're going for one big motor so I wonder how they're going to drive both axles without the transfer box? And provide a handbrake? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #806126 14th Dec 2019 7:45am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I think with their elec RR conversation, they just replaced the one motor for the other - adapter plate on to the gearbox.
Obviously you don’t need a clutch but rest remains the same. Unsophisticated, but keeping it simple (& less expensive than alternative).
Post #806295 15th Dec 2019 1:11pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
In that case they will have to put half of the stuff back in off the floor.......
Post #806374 15th Dec 2019 8:55pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Currently they're taking the rear drive unit from the tesla, and mounting it sideways in place of the transfer box.

I know everyone here loves to hate on electric, but the Electric Classic Car guys are proper and do top notch conversions. I'd love to electrify mine, but the towing range issue is a definite obstacle for me! May make hybrid more viable in the short term, with a purely electric drivetrain and a petrol motor that can charge the batteries.
Post #806386 15th Dec 2019 9:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hmm, interesting approach. I guess that means no low range then, but perhaps the degree of control that electric motors provide means there's no need? Just select a different programme, perhaps. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #806408 16th Dec 2019 8:10am
Supacat

miker wrote:
I know everyone here loves to hate on electric

Not everyone... hence this thread (and several others)...

miker wrote:
the Electric Classic Car guys are proper and do top notch conversions. I'd love to electrify mine, but the towing range issue is a definite obstacle for me!

That's one obstacle ~ but surely the cost is the first one? Not seen any breakdown of costs to try and understand where £40k to £60k goes. Are these costs based on demand, or are they supply constraints on the materials?

Certainly in this case is does not appear to be financially beneficial to be an early adopter.
Post #806413 16th Dec 2019 8:56am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
As impressive as the tech maybe, fat lot of good that will be out here:

Click image to enlarge

Or here:

Click image to enlarge

Or here:

Click image to enlarge

Or here:

Click image to enlarge

Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #806421 16th Dec 2019 9:40am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
you just need the "optional" wiesel generator trailer in tow.................... Whistle
Post #806422 16th Dec 2019 9:41am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I've said this before in another thread, but the idea that electric vehicles are no good in the wilderness is true, but it only applies to where we are at with today's technology.
In time it stands to be way better than ICE, maybe or maybe-not in carry-aboard range capability, but more importantly the fact you can re-charge from the sun - solar panel tech is also improving at a pace. I'm thinking fox-wing type awnings of solar array, etc.
If you get lost in the desert & run out of diesel, you're stuffed. If you've got solar on board you could go on indefinitely.
Not forgetting electric motors are also more reliable than ICE.

I don't think it will be very long before Baja / Dakar races are attempted by BEVs - maybe Tesla will enter their CT or derivative of. There will be a race for the first BEV to cross the Bering Strait, reach the North Pole, cross whatever desert etc. The first attempts may fail, but it will push the innovation & they will get there. Just as it did with fossil tech.

95% of my Defender journeys are well under 100 miles a day, 50% under 20, so I would love to dump the diesel for elec, but it's not affordable to me yet.
And sadly I don't get to drive across deserts or jungles, but I do tow my boat to the coast several times over the summer, this would also be a concern right now, but I'm hopeful it won't be in another 5-10 years time. I think a min. loaded-up towing range of about 130 miles would be fine - we'd stop for a break & recharge rather than carry extra batteries/weight the rest of the year-round when they're not needed.
Post #806432 16th Dec 2019 10:25am
Supacat

Electric Classic Cars (@elecclassiccars) Tweeted:

This one's for you @bobbyllew Everything that's going into the Defender to make it electric. Including 450hp Tesla drive unit, 90kWh battery pack, 22kWh charger, heater, power steering, vacuum pump for brakes etc.

https://t.co/EZ8ZWugVg7 https://twitter.com/elecclassiccars/status...82528?s=20

Click image to enlarge
Post #806493 16th Dec 2019 6:56pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Ads90 wrote:

I don't think it will be very long before Baja / Dakar races are attempted by BEVs - maybe Tesla will enter their CT or derivative of. There will be a race for the first BEV to cross the Bering Strait, reach the North Pole, cross whatever desert etc. The first attempts may fail, but it will push the innovation & they will get there. Just as it did with fossil tech.

The beginnings are already here for off road https://www.extreme-e.com/

Formula E looked like it would die on its feet when it first started a few years ago, but it has now been made FIA world championship and has "works" teams coming out of its ears. Maybe Extreme E will eventually take over from WRC (which is rubbish these days anyway). 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #806503 16th Dec 2019 7:28pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
My problem with fully electric cars is that you’re not solving the problem, you’re moving the problem. Roughly speaking, global electrical generation creates the same amount of CO2 as global transport. 30% of the total, each. So by moving to fully electric you’re not actually reducing your environmental impact. Indeed it could be argued your raising it, with new factories (that otherwise weren’t needed) to produce a new type of car, and the production of the electricity requiring more coal to be burned and pumped (unfiltered) into the air.

In certain countries, like France (with a high percentage of Nuclear electricity production.....although the long term environmental impact the have on decommissioning is rarely discussed) you can drive your Tesla safe in the knowledge that your CO2 footprint has reduced. But in others you can’t. Indeed, the company that discovered the VW emissions scandal, undertook a test in Germany to determine which car was the most environmentally friendly when factoring ALL aspects (production, use, repair, decommissioning etc) through an average lifetime (10 years). They determined that in Germany (mainly coal-powered electricity production), the car that is the most environmentally efficient was the 2.0D Mercedes C-Class. Not the Tesla it was tested against, and this was for the reasons I mentioned above. New factories, increased electrical usage during production, sourcing of precious metals, short lifetime of batteries, coal-powered electrical production. At road level, clearly emissions were improved, but in every other regard electrical cars are (at the moment) environmentally worse.

And this is my problem with this wave of electric car production. Of course Global Warming is a problem, of course we need to find a solution. But making people transfer to cars earlier than they might otherwise for some green campaign, and in so doing require new factories to be built, mines in Africa to be raped of precious metals, no thought or consideration for battery wastage, and all continuing to use coal produced electricity which, because it does not benefit from Euro 5/6/7 catalytic filtering, is actually dirtier than the most modern cars, (especially those that meet the latest Euro standards with AdBlue etc), does not make sense. Hybrids make absolute sense, offering cleanliness in built up areas, but without wildly changing model production. But full electric, not yet proven.

Develop the technology for eventual use by the world’s population, but don’t compel the wider public to but cars they don’t yet need, and aren’t yet cleaner, earlier than necessary, thereby upping world car production (with all associated impacts on the environment) for some kind of green agenda/fashion.

Just my opinion.... Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #806557 17th Dec 2019 7:30am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Has anybody done the maths on having a solar cell roof to top up the batteries? My typical journey is no more than 50 miles, then a few hours before returning home. I'd have thought most daily driver/commuters similar.
Would you get extra useful range would you get from parking in the sun for 7-8 hours?
Post #806563 17th Dec 2019 8:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>