Home > Puma (Tdci) > Duff defender ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Nick90pickup

United Kingdom 
Duff defender ?
Hi,
Thanks for checking out my post. I have tried to give as much detail as possible and would welcome any ideas you good folk have.

I have an 07 truck cab 90 puma. I got it 2 years ago and it's been great. It came with two basic metal keys no fob.

This year she has started to turn into a real pain. In june she started to only start when she wanted. By removing the one of the wires to the battery and re connecting it after 5 mins it would start. I have had an auto electrician who checked the earths and terminals ect. Suggested immobiliser fault. As I mentioned above, I only have 2 keys. I never knew it had an immobiliser fitted.

No dash warning lights, when you put the key in it cranks like it might start for 1 or 2 seconds then nothing. Second time you get .5 a second of effort then dead. Remove the battery cables and that no longer solves It. Big Cry

So auto local smith comes out and codes a new fob. ............. yeah that failed as soon as I paid the bill.

Fast forward to july, I book it in for a service no fault found

MOT was September and the ruddy thing passed and no fault found. But they did turn the immobiliser settings off to make sure this was not the problem. ( I am not making it up )

Since the start of September it's been sat and will not start at all . I was told it might be the ECU, sent that off to ECU testing to be told.the dont test the nnw509650 fomoco

Does this sound familiar to anyone or does anyone have any idea what it could be? I want to take it back to a grage but I cant move it to get it there.

Thanks again
Post #798974 21st Oct 2019 9:37pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Someone from your neck of the woods will hopefully be along shortly to recommend a good independent near you. That’s where I’d start.
Post #798977 21st Oct 2019 11:24pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Check that all the relays under the driver's seat are really tight in their sockets. There are two which must work reliably for the engine to crank and start, and a loose connection on these is a common problem.
Post #798979 22nd Oct 2019 12:22am
JellyBean

United Kingdom 
Nick - I use info@offroadrovers.co.uk. I’ve always found Paul there very helpful. Hope they can resolve the issue for you.
Post #798981 22nd Oct 2019 5:52am
Nick90pickup

United Kingdom 
Thanks everyone, I have wiggles and giggled all the wires I can under the seat but sadly that's not helped.

I shall try Paul and see if he might be able to help. Or if there are any other local suggestions

If you have any other thoughts please let me know.
Post #798992 22nd Oct 2019 7:41am
Hal

United Kingdom 
Ignition barrel?

Do a search on here, LOTS of odd behaviour caused by these.
Post #799017 22nd Oct 2019 2:59pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I'd second the ignition barrel. Replace with a genuine Land Rover one.....
Post #799033 22nd Oct 2019 4:55pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Re: Duff defender ?
Nick90pickup wrote:
No dash warning lights

What do you mean by this? The normal warning lights (glow/MIL) don't appear, or there are none at all, or nothing out of the ordinary?

The issues sounds similar to johnnyd's problem which a new ignition switch and connecting it correctly resolved: https://www.defender2.net/forum/post767041.html#767041

If you can I would make up a temporary starter button/wire to try. Just a push button switch with a length of wire on each side. Or at a push - a length of wire cut into two pieces which you can touch to make the circuit Wink

I can give more info on where to fit it and the process for testing if you go down this route Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #799036 22nd Oct 2019 5:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Nick90pickup

If you rename your problem as an 'intermittent starting problem' then I too would check / replace the ignition barrel
to at least eliminate this from the problem if not solve it if you're lucky...cheap part (which is probably the issue) and
for a Puma (with a shelf below the steering column) can be a Censored to swap out...

My story...
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic51335.html

Good Luck Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #799050 22nd Oct 2019 7:14pm
Dexterdog

Hi Nick, I have the same truck as you and had what sounds like a very similar thing. It would turn over for a bit and then just stop turning over. Try again and the length of time it turned over before it stopped trying varied, sometimes a split second, sometimes 5 or 6 seconds or anything in between.

Leave it alone for 5 mins come back and it might do it again or it might fire up straight away and not give any problems until a few weeks later when it repeated the problem.

Someone on here suggested its the relay under the drivers seat. What they told me is you want to have to really pull on it for it to come out. If it just slides out with little pressure, give the spade connectors on the relay a sideways twist (careful how far) and slot in again. Repeat until you have to really tug the relay to get it out.

It worked for me, it was obviously a relay connection issue and I have never had the problem since.

Good luck
Post #799066 22nd Oct 2019 8:35pm
Nick90pickup

United Kingdom 
Re: Duff defender ?
Martin wrote:
Nick90pickup wrote:
No dash warning lights

Hi thanks for the comment. I shall add my points in below yours.

What do you mean by this? The normal warning lights (glow/MIL) don't appear, or there are none at all, or nothing out of the ordinary? So it has all the normal lights you would expect. So glow light comes on and goes off.

The issues sounds similar to johnnyd's problem which a new ignition switch and connecting it correctly resolved: https://www.defender2.net/forum/post767041.html#767041

If you can I would make up a temporary starter button/wire to try. Just a push button switch with a length of wire on each side. Or at a push - a length of wire cut into two pieces which you can touch to make the circuit Wink

I can give more info on where to fit it and the process for testing if you go down this route Smile

That sounds very intresting. I assume this is easy to do?
Post #799076 22nd Oct 2019 9:07pm
Nick90pickup

United Kingdom 
Thanks, I shall have a look and see if I can get one. As you say it will rule it out if nothing else.

We have managed to tow it on to a trailer so at least she moves now Rolling Eyes

X4SKP wrote:
Hello Nick90pickup

If you rename your problem as an 'intermittent starting problem' then I too would check / replace the ignition barrel
to at least eliminate this from the problem if not solve it if you're lucky...cheap part (which is probably the issue) and
for a Puma (with a shelf below the steering column) can be a Censored to swap out...

My story...

Good Luck Thumbs Up
Post #799077 22nd Oct 2019 9:09pm
Nick90pickup

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Check that all the relays under the driver's seat are really tight in their sockets. There are two which must work reliably for the engine to crank and start, and a loose connection on these is a common problem.

Thanks I have given them all a good wiggle and push. But I shall see if I can work out the tips above and see if it's the ignition barrel.
Post #799078 22nd Oct 2019 9:11pm
Nick90pickup

United Kingdom 
X4SKP wrote:
Hello Nick90pickup

Hi, I am not going to lie but I think your far better with a tool box than me having looked at your thread. I am more of a hammer gaffer tape kind of person.

But i think it's a good Avenue to explore.

Thank you

My story...

Good Luck Thumbs Up
Post #799081 22nd Oct 2019 9:16pm
Nick90pickup

United Kingdom 
boxoftricks wrote:
I'd second the ignition barrel. Replace with a genuine Land Rover one.....

Thanks for the idea. Would you get the entire thing, as in new keys ect,? I have had a google on the interwebs about 100 pounds and comes with new keys. I assume this will not effect anything else on the truck ? Like ecu or another computer ?

I assume this would show as a fault code if the thing plugged in at a service centre?

Thanks

Nick
Post #799094 22nd Oct 2019 9:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>