↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has anyone ordered one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 30 <123 4 ... 282930>
Print this entire topic · 
zilch

Australia 
not yet but soon
still waiting for the pricing to come out in Australia, delivery is going to be at least May/June. In the absence
of any costs, i have specified the following and will likely put a minimum deposit down to secure a build spot,
subject to price of course.. I reckon it will come in north of $100K AUD.. I cannot see myself dropping to the
4 pot diesel after driving a 3.0 litre TDv6 sport

Click image to enlarge
Post #797543 10th Oct 2019 11:38am
CFB

United Kingdom 
I had a build slot reserved but have cancelled it.

I like the design but it's way too expensive for me to justify and the engine choices are poor, quoted mpg is rubbish so waiting to see the PHEV/Hybrid and will be waiting to see second hand values. Andy
Post #797737 11th Oct 2019 4:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dannyson

I'm the same (no, not ordered one) ... but waiting to see if they do a PHEV - and then may chop in my MY16 Disco.

Bit concerned about the size though - its tight enough down here in Cornwall with the Disco - and I understand the Defender is even bigger than a Range Rover! - I should go check the sizes?.....or just go buy a mini countryman Rolling Eyes Confused
Post #797789 12th Oct 2019 12:06am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I’m sure it’s 2.1m wide compared to the discos skinny 1.92m. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #797804 12th Oct 2019 7:54am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
My intention was always to wait a couple of years to get all the gremlins out of the way, I also think that buying a stop gap DERV model may well be short sighted.

My daughter has a new generation Lexus UX Hybrid which is rather amazing in all sorts of ways and in a way cars like this will see the end of diesels with the buying public becoming more environmentally conscious.

I will probably plump for a PHEV 90 but sadly know that, unlike my present 90 & Wolf, long term ownership (due to battery life etc) will probably be a thing of the past. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #797813 12th Oct 2019 8:36am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Mash wrote:
I’m sure it’s 2.1m wide compared to the discos skinny 1.92m.

I think you’re comparing the width of the Defender including the mirrors against the Discovery without.
Post #797821 12th Oct 2019 9:56am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
That could be possible as it’s just figures I’ve nabbed off the internet Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #797837 12th Oct 2019 11:43am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Is it just the first years of the new models or a more widespread issue across even the more mature models as well?
Post #797857 12th Oct 2019 4:46pm
Tim in Scotland

Off Topic
dannyson wrote:
.....or just go buy a mini countryman Rolling Eyes Confused

Exactly what I did last year when I was looking for a replacement for my 2015 RRS HSE D SDv6.
I was able to get 2 x free 2 day test drives running consecutively and that sold it to me. First non-JLR new car
I have bought in 30 years. I bought the PHEV Countryman and love it. I charge the battery off my solar panels on the
house roof and get free charging on Chargepoint Scotland chargers in public carparks which has enabled me to run in electric only mode 85% of the time. Takes 3 hours to charge on 13amp socket but has only real world range of 21 miles (26 is claimed) and that drops to 14 in the winter, but the little 3 cylinder 1.5 turbo is an amazing little engine, smooth and almost silent unless you welly it. It will do up to 85mph in electric mode ( it has an 87hp electric motor on the rear axle)and with both motors working together 0-60 is 5.8 secs ( feels a whole lot faster though). It claims to be 4WD but it isn’t it has a petrol engine driving the front wheels and the electric motor driving the rear wheels and only a fibre optic cable joins them!
But both axles will work together in slippery conditions. It can even do gentle green lanes....... if you are careful, ground clearance is mm’s less than an Evoque or DiscoSport. It is also a full 5 seater, the last thing it is is mini though, it is quite big.
If you cover longer distances or want to tow then forget it, it isn’t homolgated for towing and in petrol mode you will be lucky to better 30mpg. In effect it has a permanent very heavy passenger to carry around with the weight of the batteries (130kgs)
BUT one thing I have learned in 15 months of ownership .......... I could easily live with a BEV like a Tesla 3 AWD or a Jaguar I-Pace as most of my journies these days are less than 20 miles each way and there is a good network of chargers in this part of the country (mind you find an unoccupied one or a working one can be difficult at times!)

If I want to go Offroad or just get an LR injection I still have my TDi300 90 for playing. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #797863 12th Oct 2019 5:21pm
zilch

Australia 
booked a test drive in a 4 pot 240HP Disco 5 this weekend to find out whether the performance is as
bad as i suspect, taking into account the Defender is going to be a tad heavier than the disco queen,
so not expecting much in terms of positive outcome from the test drive

Today the Aussie dealers confirmed they have received confirmation of pricing which should be on the system
and up by the weekend.. So all well in good, after testing out the 240HP 4 pot D5 oil burner, i am likely to
be ordering a 110 SE P400 3 litre turbocharged benzin guzzler on Saturday Laughing

As someone who has driven and/or owned LR products for the last 38 years, i would say the Defender 20
is going to be everything the D5 should have been.. and after 12 years of RR Sport ownership, i am welcoming
the change.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #798391 16th Oct 2019 9:40am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
zilch wrote:
after 12 years of RR Sport ownership, i am welcoming the change..

Just curious as an ex RRS owner, in fact I had two of them, and swapped the last one in for a DCPU; but what change are you expecting?

In my mind, if i were to get a new Defender, then I'd just effectively be reversing the change I made from a RRS.
Post #798393 16th Oct 2019 10:16am
Tim in Scotland

Zilch, you guys are lucky that you can get a P400 SE, we have to make do with the 4 pot P300 SE if we want a petrol engined version. At the moment the only model here with the 3.0 petrol engine is the X model which is way too expensive Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #798394 16th Oct 2019 10:29am
Bourneville Bazza

United Kingdom 
I've ordered one. I've gone for a first edition in gold with the Explorer Pack, off road tyres and tow bar. Apparently the ladder that you need to access the roof rack (very clever when it deploys) is still not available as an option but should be by the time its built.

I had a look at one in the flesh at Halewood on Sunday and have to say i like it a lot more now than I did from the pictures.

Its to replace my Disco4 which is now 6 years old because I just couldnt get the look of the D5 and I already have an old 90 (which i'll be keeping) so to me it made sense. Cheaper than a D5 and theres a CHANCE it could hold its money for a while...... or not!

I've been told March/April delivery.
Post #798408 16th Oct 2019 2:46pm
zilch

Australia 
Supacat wrote:

Just curious as an ex RRS owner, in fact I had two of them, and swapped the last one in for a DCPU; but what change are you expecting?

In my mind, if i were to get a new Defender, then I'd just effectively be reversing the change I made from a RRS.

as per Tims post, moving from a oil burner to a Petrol at a reasonable price, in Australia, we get the P400
at the S and SE level. I had my first Sport in 2007, a 2.7 diesel, and then into a 2010 3.0 facelift which is
now 9 year old Rolling Eyes its at the time of life where i need something more up to date and get another few
years of warranty and peace of mind.

A SE Diesel Sport in Australia would cost at least $20-30K more than the spec'd 110 P400 SE.. financially it
makes total sense to move to the defender, the sport is now so overpriced in Australia and the D5 just looks
like a bucket of sick.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #798496 17th Oct 2019 11:51am
Tim in Scotland

It’s not just in Aussie that the RRS is overpriced Zilch. As you know I sold my 2015 SDV6 RRS HSE Dynamic last year. Like for like price in the configurator had gone from £69000 in March 2015 to £80,000 in March 2018 and several things that used to be standard or no cost options on the HSE were made payable options. So I thought I would take a break from buying new JLR and watching £1000 a month depreciate into thin air, put a deposit on the Defender but as I’m retiring next year the price of a 90 looks like it may be OTT (more than £50k OTR) so I might have to keep “The Green Machine” my 1996 County TDi300 a bit longer. I was hoping for a 90 P400E or a a P400 but seems neither will be in production until 2021......... maybe not until late 2021. I just cannot understand JLR’s reluctance to have PHEV’s on sale at launch, heck most of the new Defenders will be commuter and school run/trips to the supermarket purchases and we all know about the oil dilution and DPF problems the Ingenium 2.0 Diesels have suffered from which occurs in Evoque and Discovery Sports driven in stop/start type driving conditions and also their fuel efficiency in ne Defender is below 30 mpg, so lots and lots of emissions. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #798522 17th Oct 2019 4:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 30 <123 4 ... 282930>