↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Changing the springs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
this insurance palava sounds like a way to just push more work to garages.

As long as its fitted by someone who is competent to do the job its not an issue. if in doubt MOT is straight after any work to prove its been done so as not to hinder the vehicles safety.

If its like for like you dont tell the insurance company. do you tell them when you change the engine oil? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #796906 6th Oct 2019 10:43am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Half the point of a Land Rover is that you can work on it yourself. And as pointed out above if you are replacing like for like there should be no insurance implication, how would they even know if I replaced the springs with new ones like for like?

Where does it stop? Am I qualified to replace brake pads, or change a wheel?

I am sure the T&Cs will say that the vehicle has to be maintained correctly to manufacturers recommendations or some such guff, fair enough. But they can’t force you to pay through the nose at a stealers to do it.
Post #796908 6th Oct 2019 10:49am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I did my own springs and some other things
I do however know my limits for safety’s sake so personally I don’t touch brakes and steering components etc.
There are members here that are in the trade and or engineers who are fully capable. However, that can lead some to believe they have the capability to push their boundaries too to match.

That’s all I’d say really, is know your limits. And don’t under any circumstances take on a job you are unsure if you can fulfil to completion.
And never take any risks. Like when jacking always keep clear and have a form of safety device should a jack fail or similar event.
And don’t use the screw pillar jack! Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #796919 6th Oct 2019 1:11pm
nitram17

Agree with you totally steve !If i had say done some diy work on my truck say change springs and put in some isolators and stronger front cones and i had a crash. If it was found i had not seated the springs properly and caused the crash i would not be happy but i would not complain if they refused my claim...

However if i had done everything correctly and had a crash and some eagle eyed inspector noticed that the isolators on my springs were not factory standard on my 90 and tried to wriggle out of the claim on that basis ..i would be a little peeved to say the least!
Post #796936 6th Oct 2019 3:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The isolators do a good job. Been using them top and bottom all around on my 90 now for a few years. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #796968 6th Oct 2019 5:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12