↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Changing the springs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
nitram17

Changing the springs
My drive is not level so i dont like the idea of jacking up both wheels at the same time .....is it harder to change the spring one wheel at a time ?do yo need spring compressors? any tips would be most appreciated! Thumbs Up
Post #796613 4th Oct 2019 12:16am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I did it this way for the same reason and it does take a bit longer and you will need spring compressors. Top tip is to put the spring compressors on whilst the spring is in the compressed state after jacking, saves quite a bit of fiddling. Also, remove the ARB if fitted so you get more articulation.
Post #796617 4th Oct 2019 6:08am
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Are you swapping for standard height springs?

If so you should be able to do it on the floor, one side at a time without compressors- a decent long pry bar to ease the spring into the cup should be adequate- the back will be pretty easy- the front may not be quite as easy.

You'll definitely need to whip the anti roll bars off if you have them

Chris
Post #796684 4th Oct 2019 2:46pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Don’t forget to let your insurance company know, some of them do get funny if it’s a private person doing them as opposed to a garage Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #796712 4th Oct 2019 5:22pm
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Assuming you are referring to rear springs... If you have an axle stand and bottle jack you can usually do it very easily without the need for compressors. Jackup up nice and high and support chassis on an axle stand. Take the wheel off and undo shock bottom bolt to the axle and then lower axle on the bottle jack. You should get enough articulation to get the spring out without the need for compressors. As said above remove ARB if needed.

This has worked for me with both HD and standard springs without ever needing compressors.
Post #796749 4th Oct 2019 9:47pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Sulisuli wrote:
Don’t forget to let your insurance company know, some of them do get funny if it’s a private person doing them as opposed to a garage Thumbs Up

Since when? How will they know? Do they ask for receipts? 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #796752 4th Oct 2019 9:53pm
Sulisuli

If you modify your vehicle your required to notify them of any mods to ensure your insured. Some insurance companies including NFU won’t insure your if you have done a suspension mod yourself, there was a thread here very recently about this. https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic66430...p;start=15

They will know if you declare the mod and they ask you did you do it or was it done by a garage, unless of course you chose to tell your insurance company a lie.

Personal choice I guess......just hope I never get hit by an uninsured driver Evil or Very Mad 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #796753 4th Oct 2019 9:59pm
nitram17

8619simon wrote:
Assuming you are referring to rear springs... If you have an axle stand and bottle jack you can usually do it very easily without the need for compressors. Jackup up nice and high and support chassis on an axle stand. Take the wheel off and undo shock bottom bolt to the axle and then lower axle on the bottle jack. You should get enough articulation to get the spring out without the need for compressors. As said above remove ARB if needed.

This has worked for me with both HD and standard springs without ever needing compressors.

Thanks fella but sulisusi has put me off to be honest I might leave it till next summer or get a indii to do it(thank hell i had not bought the springs yet)!Is this the end of the diy mechanic ? If su is right i expect you will have to report if as a diy mechanic if you work on the drive train:hubs, props, ,clutch ,electronic maps and even if you change the settings using your nan com..where does it stop?What about changing the brake pads ?As these all effect the function of your vehicle ..the worlds going mad! su do you tell your insurance company when you use your nancom to change the engine function ect ..the principle is the same!
Post #796762 5th Oct 2019 2:15am
Sulisuli

Nitram, hopefully it hasn’t put you off doing the mods you want, guess as you say where does common sense prevail.

Why not ring your insurance company first and ask them, you needed to ring them after the mod so why not ring them first? They maybe totally fine with you doing it yourself so no worries.

I don’t have nancom so don’t have to worry about your last statement Rolling with laughter I do have an extended warranty so just take it back to my main dealer instead Rolling with laughter 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #796771 5th Oct 2019 7:21am
nitram17

Its literally a minefield !do you do diy stuff on your defender or is it all done by the stealers ?what can a diy person do without without risk?perhaps the a plan fella cabn comment?
Post #796873 6th Oct 2019 12:13am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Sulisuli wrote:
If you modify your vehicle your required to notify them of any mods to ensure your insured. Some insurance companies including NFU won’t insure your if you have done a suspension mod yourself, there was a thread here very recently about this. https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic66430...p;start=15

They will know if you declare the mod and they ask you did you do it or was it done by a garage, unless of course you chose to tell your insurance company a lie.

Personal choice I guess......just hope I never get hit by an uninsured driver Evil or Very Mad

The op did not mention modifying the vehicle. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #796876 6th Oct 2019 2:38am
topless_matt

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
If your just replacing like for like then no need to tell your insurance! All you are doing is maintenance on your vehicle.
Post #796883 6th Oct 2019 8:18am
Sulisuli

AndrewS wrote:
Sulisuli wrote:

Personal choice I guess......just hope I never get hit by an uninsured driver Evil or Very Mad

The op did not mention modifying the vehicle.

AndrewS sorry try page 2 of this thread Thumbs Up
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic66430...+insurance
The world of insurance is a nightmare and a lottery, I think it almost depends on the day of the week you ring up and who you speak to as to what is acceptable and what isn’t, surely it wouldn’t be difficult for the insurance to lay out their stall with clear cut rules and definitions instead of the grey areas we all have to go thru everytime we want to mod or reinsure. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #796884 6th Oct 2019 8:25am
Sulisuli

topless_matt wrote:
If your just replacing like for like then no need to tell your insurance! All you are doing is maintenance on your vehicle.

Matt I totally agree but it’s easy to fall into the minefield of insurance problems as per this thread
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic68827...=insurance

It’s a nightmare and the irony is that people who mod their defenders tend to look after them and be more careful in general Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #796885 6th Oct 2019 8:30am
Sulisuli

nitram17 wrote:
Its literally a minefield !do you do diy stuff on your defender or is it all done by the stealers ?what can a diy person do without without risk?perhaps the a plan fella cabn comment?

All my servicing and warranty work is done by my main dealer “Roger Young’s” who are from from “stealers” Rolling Eyes with regard to other mods these are done my my amazing indie “Vanstones of Launceston”

I don’t have the skill sets or inclination to do the work on my Defender in the same way if they had a blocked sewer shaft or tunnel I think they would be ringing me rather than having a go themselves, either way we would both be in the Censored if we tried to do each other’s jobs Rolling with laughter horses for courses. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #796886 6th Oct 2019 8:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>