↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Poll
Do you approve of the new Defender - everything (including price) considered?
Yes
30%
 30%  [58]
No
69%
 69%  [132]
Total Votes: 190

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Sorry, but the new Defender should not have been a Jimny on steriods, priced at £30k. The DCPU market has this covered and the appeal of the Jimny will be very limited.

LR have done exactly the right thing to being the Defender up-to-date in terms of re-platforming and the capabilities are improved by any and every measure. I think it's priced well, less than I expected and it's only by adding unnecessary guf to it that it becomes expensive.

The only issue I have with it is that it is over-styled, which is a major fail for such an iconic thing and is no longer recognisable from its predecessors.
Post #792727 13th Sep 2019 10:11am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your input, though I really don't think the double-cab pick-up market is anything to do with small 'SUVs' in my opinion. The new Ford Bronco...

Click image to enlarge

and the Jimny, the Wrangler, and indeed the new Defender appeal to different people. The pick-up market is something quite different...in my opinion. All I'm saying is what I wanted the new Defender to be. It isn't it. I own a Jimny, but it's small. I love it to bits, but I could do with something larger - hence I am very much looking forward to the new Bronco. Got an email from Ford yesterday to tell me to take a look at a particular webpage as I asked if it will be coming to the UK. It looks like it is. Now left.
Post #792738 13th Sep 2019 10:41am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
Ford is going from strength to strength at the moment. The F-150 Raptor is amazing and that Bronco looks incredible.
If I was looking to open my wallet today it would be at a Ford dealership, that's for sure.
Post #792768 13th Sep 2019 12:33pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Yeah, before you get as excited as I did, it's one of a few renditions as to what the Bronco will finally look like. Ford is first going to bring out a 'baby Bronco', a small SUV. I think that's going to be successful all on its own, and is an obvious reaction to Jeep's Renegade. The talk is that the Bronco itself will start at $30,000 (probably £30,000)! God, I hope so! Now left.
Post #792770 13th Sep 2019 12:38pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Slightly off topic... But just to correct the statement about the Jimny... Suzuki have limited UK allocation to keep demand high... they sold all the first years allocation before they arrived and I believe year two isn't much different..

Carry on

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #792773 13th Sep 2019 12:43pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
When I spoke to a Suzuki salesman at a show about the jimny , he told me that as it wasn’t that economical, they had to limit the amount they imported, to keep the average of the whole range above a certain level.
He was very disappointed as he reckoned that they could sell 3times the amount they were getting.
No idea if this is true or not🤔

By the way when I used to pay and play regularly the jimny seemed very fragile.
Much more so than the defenders and discos.

Ideal for green landing but not the really rough stuff.

Click image to enlarge

I like it though👍🏻 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #792853 13th Sep 2019 6:21pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Global Jimny sales up 100%, apparently. Mercedes G Class sales up 59%! I'm sure Suzuki is chuffed - it's been a massive success in Japan. As I've said before, Japan can build it in their country, knock it out for less than £20,000 and still make a profit. Rolling Eyes Now left.
Post #792870 13th Sep 2019 7:25pm
Beefster

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
I voted no - its okay looking but price is ridiculous. Strip out most of the (unnecessary) tech and you’ve a got modern defenderish shape to work with. Seems more of a vanity project to see what they can cram in, most of which will never be used. This isn’t just a JLR failing, it applies to all modern cars - tech for techs sake. Just because you can do something doesnt mean you have to or that people even want it once the initial ooh wears off.
Still not sure which way to vote? - image a world where the “classic” defender is still being made along side the 2020 defender, and you have £ 40k to spend. Do you go fully spec’d 110 Classic or entry level new 90?...
Post #793001 14th Sep 2019 12:24pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
The price is ridiculous, yes, but as I said yesterday, 92% of cars are bought on some form of finance, and I genuinely think that people aren't looking at the overall cost, but whether they have enough in their monthly budget, or not. Leasing.com are showing prices for the 110, now, and they are around £1,000 a month.
https://leasing.com/car-leasing/land-rover/defender/
You have to put £9,000 down and pay £55,000 over four years. I don't know about everyone else here (some seem to be very flushed) but the deposit alone would buy you a decent used car. I personally can't justify spending £55,000 on any car, even if I loved it. I have other priorities in life, like food, and making sure my retirement will be good. Now left.
Post #793002 14th Sep 2019 12:41pm
foggydave

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Bonatti Grey
I wonder why LR are not yet giving details about the utility version of the Defender?
Could it be that they are waiting for to see the response to the upmarket versions before making a final descision on the makeup and therefore price of the utility model?
I voted no on the present range of yuppy wagons but am hopeful that the utility model will be more aligned to the Toyota Land Cruiser Utility on price.
As I said before, it became apparant when LR started morphing the Discovery into a Range Rover/standard SUV design that the new Defender would be aimed at the Discovery market with pricing and design. I know they must have a modern design to meet present day European and probably more importantly American legislation, but I do hope the utility version will be a lot more affordable.
Post #793092 15th Sep 2019 8:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

With previous models LR has always prioritised the high spec, big profit versions over the low spec and commercial versions, when Evoque was launched you couldn’t get an ED4 Pure until about 18 months after launch and even then they were hard to get, all the cars released to buyers on launch day were the highest spec highest profit margin vehicles, RRS L494 was the same - you could have an Autobiography pretty quickly after launch but you had to wait about 9 months after launch to get a base model SE even if you ordered when the order books opened. Looks like Defender will be no different.
What has surprised me is the poor engine range they are launching Defender with. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #793096 15th Sep 2019 8:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567