↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Poll
Do you approve of the new Defender - everything (including price) considered?
Yes
30%
 30%  [58]
No
69%
 69%  [132]
Total Votes: 190

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Stacey, all true. And you’re clearly obsessed. Socks????

“Parking rules? I will go out of my way to park next to another Defender if out and about & parking”

A couple of months ago I spotted a nice Def whilst driving past a supermarket car park. I turned back, parked up, took the shot and then left, carrying on with my journey. I then deleted the photo by accident before posting it Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #792507 12th Sep 2019 3:25pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Zed wrote:
I didn't realise just how poorly the G Wagon sold but the link below proves your point perfectly.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/...z-g-class/

Half of those N American sales are probably in Hollywood and are used as an excellent marketing tool to sell MB's other products.

Gotta love a baddie in a proper blacked out 4x4.

I think the G-Wagen following is far, far more niche than the Defender. That’ll be impacting sales as much as anything. Outside of wealthy parts of a city, G-wagens are non existent, whereas Defs are everywhere.

To copy the Defender was purely ‘shape’ related, as the front end is just as high and just as flat as a Puma, so clearly pedestrian safety was an achievable goal. So, all they had to do was copy the detailing of the body into the monocoque. It’s designed on a computer FFS. Wouldn’t have been hard. And one advantage they had over many retro updates (as someone pointed out on another thread) is it is already big. Most of the others (911, Wrangler, VW Camper, Mini etc) had to be dramatically upsized. The Defender had the height and length and probably only needed a little more width to provide greater driver comfort and all the required airbags/sound proofing. The chassis, engine, drive train etc could all have been stuffed in, as shown by the size of the Discfender .

Four things would have nailed it.

Copy the silhouette
Copy the window cutouts
Copy the nose
Copy the rear overhang.

Everything else could be entirely new (and better). But no, they had to mess with the iconography as well.... Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #792511 12th Sep 2019 3:31pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
AMBxx wrote:
Each time I see the side photo of the 90, I think 'Maybe'. Then I see the front...

^^^This.
Post #792533 12th Sep 2019 4:10pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Grenadier wrote:
Zed wrote:
I didn't realise just how poorly the G Wagon sold but the link below proves your point perfectly.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/...z-g-class/

Half of those N American sales are probably in Hollywood and are used as an excellent marketing tool to sell MB's other products.

Gotta love a baddie in a proper blacked out 4x4.

I think the G-Wagen following is far, far more niche than the Defender. That’ll be impacting sales as much as anything. Outside of wealthy parts of a city, G-wagens are non existent, whereas Defs are everywhere.

To copy the Defender was purely ‘shape’ related, as the front end is just as high and just as flat as a Puma, so clearly pedestrian safety was an achievable goal. So, all they had to do was copy the detailing of the body into the monocoque. It’s designed on a computer FFS. Wouldn’t have been hard. And one advantage they had over many retro updates (as someone pointed out on another thread) is it is already big. Most of the others (911, Wrangler, VW Camper, Mini etc) had to be dramatically upsized. The Defender had the height and length and probably only needed a little more width to provide greater driver comfort and all the required airbags/sound proofing. The chassis, engine, drive train etc could all have been stuffed in, as shown by the size of the Discfender .

Four things would have nailed it.

Copy the silhouette
Copy the window cutouts
Copy the nose
Copy the rear overhang.

Everything else could be entirely new (and better). But no, they had to mess with the iconography as well.... Big Cry

Yep. Had the potential to be amazing.
Post #792538 12th Sep 2019 4:20pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
exactly
Sad Front reminds me of an evil clown (just watched "it" Cool )
Back is even worse; baboon springs to mind...
Post #792626 12th Sep 2019 8:15pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Gren i'm with you, chassis & body crumple zones would have been easy enough.

As for pedestrian safety pedestrian airbags are a thing on the discoveries.

I think that internal airbags would have been hard but not impossible to pull off. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #792653 12th Sep 2019 10:10pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I had to reluctantly say no. It stuck in my throat to do it. Like others here I've loved (and hated) these things for years. Grew up wanting a new one and was lucky enough to do so. The problem is that I was one of the minority. I know a fair few on here also bought new, but in the general "scene", second hand (or even third or fourth) rules. That is utterly irrelevant to JLR. We, as enthusiasts, gave them no incentive to pitch the vehicle to us. The stereotypical skinflint landrover fan is a stereotype for a reason!

The styling is my main bugbear. I have no objection to the technology but to me it just doesn't look like a Defender. I can't help but think the sweet spot was to have ironed out all the numerous failings (what many of us might call quirks) but keep as much of the look as possible including the proportions. Think new mini, new beetle, new 500. I can't quite work out why they didn't do that. At least as a starting point, which might have allowed further drift as it got updated. The 110 I think looks especially unbalanced, such a long vehicle with the rear wheel so far back looks wrong to me. Likewise the lack of pickup or even double cab models somehow detracts from what made the Defender a Defender. I was disappointed to see the 110 commercial is really a USW with no back seats. The 90 hardtop does look quite nice though, although pricing is still steep.

Online I'm basically seeing a repeat of the DC100 in terms of reaction. A minority love it, the majority seem very disappointed. I don't know how that can be good. This is only partially about price, most folks seem to just hate how it looks.

It hurts me to be so critical, I've loved this brand all my life, but I can only admit I think this is the wrong direction. Defender was never about how deep it could wade or how much it could tow, it was about heritage, about fairly low technology and simplicity, and later on about being distinctive. The new model is sadly none of these things. I'm not going to call for sackings or riots. I'm sure Gerry is a very nice man, doing his job in accordance with market research results. I hope JLR continues to grow and prosper, but I wouldn't like to bet how well or badly this new machine will sell. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"

Last edited by 22900013A on 13th Sep 2019 6:10am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #792662 13th Sep 2019 5:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
^ well written and echos the sentiments of many I’m sure. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #792666 13th Sep 2019 5:25am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
+1 to that. Nicely written Thumbs Up
Post #792667 13th Sep 2019 5:35am
22900013A

Thank you gentlemen. I was trying to be balanced and fair. I am glad my words have resonated. I can't help but think things would be different if a few more of us had reached for the chequebook but it's a bit too late to complain now. That said, I feel there was a lot more to the demise of the Defender.

I can only respect Gerry's honesty when he said "this is a business". No point getting too sentimental about it. This new one will probably never be seen the same way as the old, but the old one had a good innings and won't be forgotten for a lifetime yet. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #792673 13th Sep 2019 6:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
duckworthparts wrote:
Quote:
but at some time you have to move on and allow a company such as JLR to innovate (even on an icon) and make money.

Agreed.

Don't like it? move on...

Interesting ~ most brands would spend considerable sums of money for the level of engagement shown by those on forums like this. Shocked
Post #792680 13th Sep 2019 6:47am
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
My post is my personal opinion towards some of the comments posted on the thread. They do not represent the brand or duckworth's view.

Quote:
I can only respect Gerry's honesty when he said "this is a business". No point getting too sentimental about it. This new one will probably never be seen the same way as the old, but the old one had a good innings and won't be forgotten for a lifetime yet.

Exactly, we hang onto nostalgia far too easy, that's not a bad thing. Nor do we like change, but change is inevitable, especially for brand to be successful. https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #792688 13th Sep 2019 7:41am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
duckworthparts wrote:
Exactly, we hang onto nostalgia far too easy, that's not a bad thing.

Using "far too easy" and then saying "not a bad thing"

duckworthparts wrote:
Nor do we like change, but change is inevitable

Not sure if that if some of Prof Gerry's reductive thinking or taken directly from this guy:

Click image to enlarge

No one is saying that JLR should not have changed the Defender - all the conversations above are about the DIRECTION it has taken. It's a little condescending to suggest otherwise.

duckworthparts wrote:
especially for brand to be successful.

By what measure - if you see it as a business, it's far from that at the moment as a direct result of the change and direction it has taken.

Last edited by Supacat on 13th Sep 2019 8:18am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #792694 13th Sep 2019 7:58am
22900013A

That part was more in the sense of "what's done is done". Its out now, nothing we can do about it even if it is sincerely felt to be the wrong path. But so far as JLR are concerned I think sales figures will be the test.

Nothing wrong with nostalgia, and I agree the design had to change in some ways, but I think something with more of the look of the old one (without just being another warm over) would have hit the bullseye. New tech I'm a retro-themed body. I suspect a lot of people (the type who stop you at the petrol station) loved the look of the Defender but were put off by the shortcomings. I'm not sure they are going to go buy the new one, in fact I'm struggling to see exactly who it is aimed at, which is why I do feel this should have been the Discovery 5.

Just my opinion and unlikely to have much impact in the short or long term. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #792695 13th Sep 2019 8:02am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Sales figures will indeed be the test! I couldn't agree more. I like to think that my opinion is 'right' but I am not in the motor trade, so it's simply what I think. I think JLR have got it seriously wrong (again) and that the new Defender should have been a Jimny on steroids priced at £30,000. It isn't, and I have to accept that I'm never going to own one, because that's what I wanted...really wanted. It's much more expensive and not really a replacement. But as others here like supacat have pointed out, they have deliberately pitched it in the sector they want. It's funny, because I thought the iPace was going to be a massive success. However, as I understand it, sales are 'crashing' according to one news item and are apparently a real worry to JLR. Again (in my opinion) JLR priced it too high. If JLR have got it wrong yet again with the new Defender, then they are going to be in serious trouble.

As was said, sales figures will be the test - it doesn't matter what we think, it matters what the people think whom it's been aimed at...and that isn't us. Now left.

Last edited by What puddle? on 13th Sep 2019 9:19am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #792706 13th Sep 2019 8:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>