↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Poll
Do you approve of the new Defender - everything (including price) considered?
Yes
30%
 30%  [58]
No
69%
 69%  [132]
Total Votes: 190

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
I voted no, simply because of it being over-designed and not timeless. The appearance is a huge disappointment to me with the loss of a recognisable face. For something that is so clearly a design-driven project they've ballsed it right up.

It will however be a massively capable vehicle and I sincerely hope that it is as dependable as claimed. It will sell like hot cakes in the US and far east.

The price is lower than I expected. Sure it goes up (a lot!) and the looks are worsened further when you add unnecessary stuff, but that's the business JLR are in.

Last edited by milesr3 on 12th Sep 2019 11:58am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #792434 12th Sep 2019 11:24am
RDR

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
RDR wrote:
The D5 was an absolute disaster for the Discovery in my opinion (and I own one) it lost that balance of practicality and comfort that made it sell so well steering to more outright luxury. My D5 is pretty much a Range Rover in fact they could have got away with calling it the Range Rover XL!

LR lost a lot of discovery 3/4 customers with the D5 and I think the 110 will help bring them back and that's where they are pitching it. My last D4 cost £66k, they sold a lot of them and that's exactly where they have pitched the 110.

The D5 was no more a Discovery than the New Defender is a Defender. The D5 is the successor to the Freelander 2.

The D5 moved across to the Freelander space specifically to clear the Discovery space for the New Defender.

The Defender - i.e., utilility - space is no longer of any interest to JLR.

The DS was definitely the replacement for the Freelander and I kind of got that there were too many range families with the Freelander merging it under discover and calling the the disco sport made sense to me. My Discovery 5 is where they messed up with the Disco they just didn't get the balance right with it. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #792443 12th Sep 2019 11:52am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..voted no, because if i needed something like Kia Soul, with air suspension, ill just get something other than Land Rover..but, there is something, undeniably amazes me about 'new defender'...im still unable to precisely calculate/express, number of error codes which could be thrown out of 25 assisting computer units (whatever they call it)...that must be an outstanding number..im amazed..
Post #792450 12th Sep 2019 12:18pm
doncarloz

Austria 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I voted YES, because after quite some time, the defender once again will be Land rover's pinnacle in offroad prowess. I'm not talking about simplicity or moddability, just pure and simple it's offroad performance.

Apart from that we should realize that anybody who truly wanted an OG defender, probably already has (at least) one.

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love my defender (and my disco 1) but at some time you have to move on and allow a company such as JLR to innovate (even on an icon) and make money.
Post #792456 12th Sep 2019 12:32pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
What puddle? wrote:
Supacat:
Carwow
https://www.carwow.co.uk/land-rover Is anyone seriously paying dealer prices anymore? There's another company (can't remember who they are) which even beats carwow. I almost bought a car from them earlier this year, but ended up getting a great deal on a used one.

We were discussing JLR's brand positioning and so prices have to be list. There's so many variables that go into 3rd party pricing/discounting. The logic of JLR's pricing is clear.
Post #792462 12th Sep 2019 12:55pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
What puddle? wrote:
Supacat:

Now, to me(!), the Defender should have gone into £27,000. What I mean by that is that it should have been built that way - as a £27,000 vehicle - a Jimny on steroids. Pitching it midway in the line-up and at Range Rover prices is just all wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree Thumbs Up

I'm not disagreeing with you,. I'm just trying to understand what JLR are doing; you appear to be saying it's just wrong.

Nothing wrong with either Thumbs Up
Post #792466 12th Sep 2019 1:00pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
Quote:
but at some time you have to move on and allow a company such as JLR to innovate (even on an icon) and make money.

Agreed.

Don't like it? move on... https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #792471 12th Sep 2019 1:24pm
Def_90

Belgium 
I boter NO, not only for the looks, but because the new defender is a luxury car with good off road ability and not a workhorse. In 2014 I bought a new dcpu (showroom model) full option even including non land rover options as a started steering wheel. I configured a new defender 110 and came out at a price of 77000€. The next day I tried again and took the base model with only the extras needed for work, a colour and the terrain response 2 + rear e-locker for 66000€. This is more than 20000€ more expensive than my dcpu ( has also aircon, electric windows, heated frontscreen, heated seats,...). First of all this is out of my price range. With all the electronics, I would be afraid to take it serious off road, or even worse, take it to the desert. Or to put my workgear in it for that matter. IF , and that's a big IF I ever buy a new one, it will be pleased ( not bought) including maintenance and it will be out when the blessing ends. It will never be a replacement for my dcpu or my '84 90 V8 (with 4.6 V8 ). As said before it's a regular inbox and not a car which draws attention ( people speak to you about it on the gas station) or emotion. My dcpu is now 6 years old, but I'm still in love with it. It still brings a smile on face when I drive it (it's my daily driver). I also remember
some 20 years ago when my 90 V8 was my daily driver, when i wa feeling down, all i needed was a drive with the 90 to feel me better again. I dont see this happen to with the new defender. Conclusion for me : it's NOT a defender. It will never be as emotional. IF I ever have one, it will be a throw away car when the warranty expires. I do not doubt it will be much better in most areas than the old one. But it misses the essence : a no nonsense, honest, simple car for work and play that does what is says. It's more door the wannabees - who are willing to pay the price for the thought of adventure. This, in my option, explains the success of the new Jimmy.
Post #792476 12th Sep 2019 1:42pm
diduan

Bulgaria 
I voted No, because I like nothing about this vehicle. In my eyes it is completly wrong - boring design, false technical concept, wrong market target, wrong head designer, wrong badge on the bonnet. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #792477 12th Sep 2019 1:45pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Wrong market target, diduan will remain to be seen.

Does anyone remembers the Nissan Almera? A pretty ordinary car with very little going for it except exceptional advertising with an advert that resembled a exert from 'The Professionals' TV Show in the 70's. Hey presto, it sold bucket loads. It may be there is a market for such a vehicle and if the advertising is right (and at present the reviews are good, who knows what will happen to its sales?

What I am getting at is that just because it's not where you or me perceive its target audience to be, doesn't necessarily mean it will be unsuccessful. Only time will tell.

To be honest, I have only ever seen a handful of Velar's on the road. Not sure if this is because I walk around in a daydream?

For what it's worth I also voted No. But then I have never believed I was in the new Defenders target audience (and I am not sure many of the rest of us are either?) I am more surprised by the poll result as it stands at present are not more one sided.

Was there not a great outcry when both the TD5 and Puma models were released??

I think if the Defender had been built by any other company, production would have finished decades ago and we wouldn't be where we are now.
Post #792490 12th Sep 2019 2:44pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I voted NO.

I quite like the look of if but I cannot neglect the price. I have tried the configurator 3 times and the cheapest 110 came in at £58K the ideal spec was £73K. Now we are doing ok and could if we wanted choose one I just simply do not see it as a £70K car??

Also and the main reason I swapped a perfectly nice Mercedes which had auto everything, almost drove itself and you get to your destination and don’t remember the drive.

Since the Defender has graced our Drive it’s the longest car I have owned and probably since an original Mini the slowest…. But we all love it. Most recent comment (from 12 year old girls at my Daughters School…. Sweet ride)

- It brings back driving, changing gears, switching things on. Working out how to take that 180 degree bend… or park in a tight spot with arms and thigh muscles like Rambo.
- The Fellow owners I wave at, like a big band of brothers, in BM’s and Mercs I’ve owned you’re lucky if people let you out of a side road & most peoples wave is one fingered?
- Random people (usually at petrol stations) start chatting to me either asking as they like the truck or they have had one in the family etc etc..
- Upgrades and modifying. Again with modern stuff, little you can change, I’ve done wheels, tyres, exhausts etc on them that’s it. The Defender I can read the magazines, check the forums. Then on the weekend grab a brew, put your old clobber on and walk out with a tool box and take my truck apart…. It’s like a grown up mechano kit.
- Pictures…… Now don’t lie…. I’ve almost as many pictures of my Defender than of the kids… My instagram account is all Car (defender related)
- Since owning the Defender, I now have a Sankey trailer (that I have made match the car) I also have a Series III and a trailer to match that…. Now that’s not normal I guess but these Landrovers do that over and above any ‘normal car’ I have owned.
- I have Landrover socks, T shirts, models, RC Cars, Hoodies…..
- You Park up at work lock it and turn round….how many of us do that. Or look at the silhouette in a shop window as you pass (is that just me…)
- Parking rules? I will go out of my way to park next to another Defender if out and about & parking…

Basically the model we drive is completely different to the new one….. I accept it had to change, I cannot accept the price hike. It will drive easily, smoothly and quietly. Things will happen automatically and water will (should) not don your knee or mats. You will be able to move your right elbow and your left legs muscle will shrink to the size of the rights. It will be great, it will however be NONE of the above points that you cannot quantify.

Maybe we have to be thankful that we embraced the old Skool with our models as long as we have. We still drive an ICON and that’s all that matters. It maybe the End of the ‘Defender’ as we know it but we can hopefully rise above and Defend our Defenders. Thumbs Up

Post #792493 12th Sep 2019 3:05pm
dantastic

United Kingdom 
No. And frankly they have shot themselves in the foot.

I dislike the new Defender because it looks like all other current Land Rovers, meaning it's lost in the crowd and it's in no way timeless. The problem for Land Rover is that this is not really going to win market share from other manufacturers, it will just cannibalise sales of Discos and RRs.

The second, bigger problem is that Land Rover has lost its most valuable marketing tool. Just look at @duckworthparts signature pic. The Defender is selling Range Rovers. It's as if Coca Cola would 'rebrand' itself to 'Surarry Poppie' to get with the times.
The Defender is not about selling Defenders. We are a couple of nutters willing to put up with driving them and as we drive around other people see us on the roads and the lust for a swanky Discovery Sport.

G-Wagen has the same problem in terms of sales numbers. Less than 4000 units in the US last year. Don't have world wide sales at hand but I think that number tells a similar story. (http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/mercedes-benz/mercedes-benz-g-class/)

I don't think anyone actually expected a £20,000 car but I think the followup somewhat demands the owner to be a bit of a nutter to buy one. I think a Defender should be a bit difficult to live with. It's part of the appeal. It's what is selling Range Rovers instead of cannibalising the sale of them.

I also say that as the owner of a 2016 Defender, bought new. I was hoping to also get a first edition of the new one to add to the stable but this one doesn't buzz me. To add to that I think I'm more or less squarely in the target market bracket. An urbanite with a bit of taste for adventure.
Post #792495 12th Sep 2019 3:12pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I didn't realise just how poorly the G Wagon sold but the link below proves your point perfectly.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/...z-g-class/

Half of those N American sales are probably in Hollywood and are used as an excellent marketing tool to sell MB's other products.

Gotta love a baddie in a proper blacked out 4x4.
Post #792496 12th Sep 2019 3:21pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
Well said Stacey. agree 110% Thumbs Up
Post #792497 12th Sep 2019 3:36pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Each time I see the side photo of the 90, I think 'Maybe'. Then I see the front... Then the dimensions... Then the price.

No from me.
Post #792499 12th Sep 2019 3:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>