↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Gravygraham

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I must say, I do find that semi-matt green 90 starting to grow on me. I paid my local dealer a £1,000 deposit about nine months ago - looks like I’ve got another nine months to make my mind up whether to go ahead with a purchase.
Post #791932 10th Sep 2019 9:09pm
tyrannosauROSS

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
I think it looks great, but I think that Land Rover how now lost the very basis of their brand. They sold lifestyles, they sold adventure, they sold every boys dream of getting out there and seeing the world.
Now they sell luxury cars and they do not have a car that represents their heritage.

I know progress is good, and obviously it will be a better care but I think they could have played more homage to the original Land Rover. IMO.

Plus.... it does look a lot like a sup'd up Skoda Yeti?!
Post #791974 10th Sep 2019 11:11pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
I think on balance I like it. Now I eagerly await the time I first spot one on the road. 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #791976 10th Sep 2019 11:31pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..this is where LR 'designers' took an idea from..
Post #792312 12th Sep 2019 4:42am
CBearRun

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Epsom Green
Stacey007 wrote:
I've been off with my little lad who was poorly today so I did some painting of a room...and was thinking

I showed it my lad, he loves anything Landrover and said Yuck it looks like a Big Mini...

Now I actually quite like it and realise things have to change, however I'm unsure who its now aimed at? I'm a 40 something bod, family man, like camping (glamping), mountain biking, drones, outdoors etc, dual income doing ok and could if I wanted choose to buy it....

I sold a perfectly nice Mercedes Estate as I found it dull, auto everything, you just steer the thing. Bought the defender and didn't miss the Merc at all. I love changing bits / upgrading bits, looking what others have done and reading the mags, Very few Modern cars you can do this to now. My current defender is the longest car I have ever owned, probably the slowest and now the oldest...... I love it.

The new one is 'Done' apart from Add on rack and approved bits your not taking your socket set out to that. It will drive great, just get in and off you go. Auto everything again and soft suspension, quick, comfy but.....it does look like lots of other SUV's out there...

Its maybe too new, It will I'm sure grow on me, I've just been on the configurator and chose a 110 in black like mine with some goodies...didn't go silly. It was in the £60K marque. I find that hard to take.... So much choice at this level and even in their own range...

I just don't see that as a £60K car? So what market is it? I'm old School and don't like leasing and PCP's etc but is this the NEW market? Pay a deposit and I don't know £500 a month for it? to have the latest? then give it back after 2 or 3 years?

Nice to see, the 'waits' over, but I'm in no rush to place a deposit. May polish my old one on the weekend Smile

I totally agree, is it anything like what we are all used to and love, No. But is it the Defender that LR need it to be for the current trends and market, Yes.

I'm unsure on the styling and very much feel I will need to see it in person as one day I like it and other days I don't.

Now thinking on what Stacey700 said above the New Defender is 'Done' and it will have that feel of most new cars of being fully automatic (also didnt like finding out on the online builder that it only comes with auto transmission) with everything doable from the touch screen press of a button. There is no tinkering by the looks of it and the car is so computerised I wonder what happens when your mid Sahara and one of the many computer systems fail but we are assured it is fully capable.

I know I sound like a purist but I knew this was going to be the car that LR would make and understand that, but the biggest thing that truly saddens me personally is to think that the Defender has lost its biggest asset. Its character.
The loss of big heavy vehicle gear changes.
The loss of getting that socket set out.
The loss of knowing that it has all its own little nuances caused by its utility body
The loss of the endless list of things you want to do to it.
The loss of people in the street stopping and staring at you as you stand out so much.
What about the ChukkaChukkaChukka noise when you turn off the engine.

We wont get a proper road test review for some weeks but to me the Character of the vehicle has been lost and to me thats something that I dont think they will gain back after taking this route. Its something that not many cars have either.

I hope its not like this but I'm not confident.

I know that LR coudnt do a New 'old' Defender but didnt think they would have moved just this far from the heart of it.
Post #796469 3rd Oct 2019 3:37am
CharlieDonuts

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Quote:

Someone please tell me. I have been wondering what that is for about the last five years !
Post #796609 3rd Oct 2019 10:51pm
CBearRun

Pretty sure it is a a mechanism for cleaning the EGR Valve. When you turn the engine off it cleans the valve to prolong its life.

Is it sad I would sit and wait for it!! Loved that little noise. (Past tense as I have just had to sell my 110 as it was too expensive to run for us and YES it was heart braking)
Post #796614 4th Oct 2019 12:24am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
CharlieDonuts wrote:
Quote:

Someone please tell me. I have been wondering what that is for about the last five years !

Yes, EGR valve cleaning cycle. In theory you shouldn't be able to hear it (the EGR valve should be almost silent in operation, but few are), but in practice it does make the distinctive sound. When you stop hearing it, it indicates that you need to replace the EGR valve.
Post #796632 4th Oct 2019 8:30am
CharlieDonuts

Razz so what is the EGR valve
Post #796662 4th Oct 2019 12:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve.

Watch this video for more insight.
Post #796664 4th Oct 2019 12:40pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #796665 4th Oct 2019 12:44pm
CharlieDonuts

Thank you Eric I never knew I had one of those Thumbs Up
Post #796696 4th Oct 2019 4:00pm
ChrisWoods

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Aintree Green
Landrover just missed the mark. All they had to do was revamp the defender with all the things people expect from a car like wind and waterproof doors, LED lights, Air bags, crumple zones and engines that meet emissions standards.
I think there are some features that are nice on a proper 4x4 work/adventure/farm truck like heated seats and air conditioning. Decent wading height and doors that keep the water out would be nice.
Adjustable suspension to suit the terrain. Proper front and rear locking diffs. Proper rubber floors with no carpets so everything can be washed out. Proper tow hitch with a ball and pin. Reversing camera and decent work lights all round. Decent underbody protection.
My understanding is that PROPER off-road drivers want 15 or 16 inch wheels with either all-terrain or mud-terrain tyres. This new thing comes with 18-22 inch wheels... That's range rover wheels, not defender. The wheel arches look like they would struggle with 33inch tyres,. Let alone anything extreme. A suspension lift is going to be pretty much impossible or cost £10,000.
The idea of wrapping the body panels so that you can remove scratches is not a bad idea but you can't get it on every model and I bet the wrap would cost a fortune.
The built in compressor is a good idea but I'd imagine that is not very powerful considering the price tag.
We now have the option of a locking rear diff so why not give us the option of a front aswell?

The main problem with the truck and the one that is inexcusable is that you can spec it to nearly £90,000!! That is ridiculous. Do landrover not understand how a tier structure works?
It's dearer than the disco. No farmer or utilities company is going to buy this truck to chuck tools and sheep in. 2009 2.4TDCi XS Utility Wagon.
Post #796983 6th Oct 2019 7:09pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Yep. That's what Jeep have done with the latest generation Wrangler.

You can get one with most of the features you've suggested for just over £50k.
And unlike JLR, service charges are not ridiculous. If you buy new, you get 5 years warranty and 3 years servicing as part of the deal.

I wish JLR well with the new Defender, but as far as I'm concerned they have lost the plot.
Post #797015 6th Oct 2019 9:08pm
CBearRun

I agree with you whole heartedly ChrisWoods about the new Defender I believe JLR never intended to stay true to it.

The Defender they created is the Defender that this Era "wanted". Not the lovers of the old like us but what the market research and money and Instagram said Neutral .
JLR basically decided that they don't want to cater to the utility market whatsoever now because they are seeing more money in the luxury side of their products. I think if they had listened to your advice then they would have then created a new Defender to dominate the utility side of the market blowing the likes of the Hilux, D-Max, Ranger and Navara out the water or at least matched it. I think the profits would also have shown this.

Range Rovers always had the luxury caveat; its a shame now to see the Brand slowly destroy the Land Rover's persona of the everyman vehicle that had real capability. Both the Disco and the Defender are status mobiles that may have the capability on paper but like ChrisWoods said they are never gonna have sheep and tools thrown in the back.

I also see that the MoD are now favoring the Ford Ranger over anything Land Rover and this Defender probably put the nail in that coffin.

Thoughts?
Post #797596 10th Oct 2019 5:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>