↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Wheels

Australia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Aintree Green
New Defender
‘Just saw a Richard Hammonds reveal of the new Defender.. I think it’s a nice looking vehicle, but it shouldn’t be called a Defender because it’s not even close, independent suspension & lots of electronics with a £40k+ price tag, I was hoping they’d go down the G-Wagen route but alas I think the continuity between this and the outgoing Defender has been severed for good. If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else.
2014 Puma 110
1960 S11 SWB
2013 KTM 1190 adv
2001 Moto Guzzi V11
1999 KTM 620 Super Competition
1973 Bultaco 250 Sherpa
Post #791702 10th Sep 2019 10:24am
SVX90

United Arab Emirates 
Hammond did not look impressed deep inside. Lets wait for Clarkson's take on that one.
Post #791723 10th Sep 2019 11:11am
The Fox

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
JLR know that it's new-car customers are 'Cash Cows' with large wallets so it makes sound business sense to develop a product which has lots of options to make the average punter feel like Ranulph Fiennes on their way to Waitrose. It was never going to cost less than £40k, because that's where JLRs price-point starts.

I don't like the styling much, think they could have done more to make it a better reflection of the original - but I do admire the approach of trying to start something new. It looks a bit like a LR equivalent of the Toyota FJ Cruiser to me. And I quite like the FJ Cruiser!

Engines are a disappointment, but will probably do the job well. I'd like to see what they come up with when it comes to an EV powertrain - not sure how I'd feel testing the 900mm wading depth sitting on top of a 400V battery.

All in all, I'm glad it's here and the wait is over - it's cleared my decision to buy a new Jimny!!
Post #791729 10th Sep 2019 11:28am
timthepom

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
This is a decent review
Post #791732 10th Sep 2019 11:48am
SN

Nice postive review - loving it even more now! Cool Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #791735 10th Sep 2019 12:21pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..they have successfully killed truck existed for over 50 years with unique form, with yet another mall crawler...it is not a surprise that Land Rover marking wonderful financial losses...leadership as well as design team have no bloody idea what they are doing..what a pile of garbage..
Post #791788 10th Sep 2019 2:14pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Land rover lost their way years ago to me, the disco that was once a car that could be off road like the defender, that sadly became a posh kids to school car, the range rover, I wont even go there at all. So I am not surprised that the new defender has gone the same way. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #791819 10th Sep 2019 4:20pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Anybody who doesn't like it (me!) doesn't have to buy it. It's a replacement for the the Discovery imo, all be it the D3/4 but with an "icon" name Whistle

Today's official release has made me appreciate what I already have more, long live the old Defender/90/110 and series versions Cool Thumbs Up
Post #791830 10th Sep 2019 4:48pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
My dad thinks its ok, I am still not sure on it but I think its safe to say that ours is now called the classic defender as of today. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #791834 10th Sep 2019 4:54pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I've been off with my little lad who was poorly today so I did some painting of a room...and was thinking

I showed it my lad, he loves anything Landrover and said Yuck it looks like a Big Mini...

Now I actually quite like it and realise things have to change, however I'm unsure who its now aimed at? I'm a 40 something bod, family man, like camping (glamping), mountain biking, drones, outdoors etc, dual income doing ok and could if I wanted choose to buy it....

I sold a perfectly nice Mercedes Estate as I found it dull, auto everything, you just steer the thing. Bought the defender and didn't miss the Merc at all. I love changing bits / upgrading bits, looking what others have done and reading the mags, Very few Modern cars you can do this to now. My current defender is the longest car I have ever owned, probably the slowest and now the oldest...... I love it.

The new one is 'Done' apart from Add on rack and approved bits your not taking your socket set out to that. It will drive great, just get in and off you go. Auto everything again and soft suspension, quick, comfy but.....it does look like lots of other SUV's out there...

Its maybe too new, It will I'm sure grow on me, I've just been on the configurator and chose a 110 in black like mine with some goodies...didn't go silly. It was in the £60K marque. I find that hard to take.... So much choice at this level and even in their own range...

I just don't see that as a £60K car? So what market is it? I'm old School and don't like leasing and PCP's etc but is this the NEW market? Pay a deposit and I don't know £500 a month for it? to have the latest? then give it back after 2 or 3 years?

Nice to see, the 'waits' over, but I'm in no rush to place a deposit. May polish my old one on the weekend Smile
Post #791840 10th Sep 2019 5:13pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
There’s going to be a lot of defenders old and new in the motoring mags and Sunday papers for the next few months, so I’d imagine the price of all defenders will firm up a tad, or just be easier to sell on.

But I suspect there won’t be any long term difference, the the buyers will be different after all. 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #791844 10th Sep 2019 5:19pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Oh wrong thread🤔🤔 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #791845 10th Sep 2019 5:20pm
TRX

Belgium 
The Fox wrote:
JLR know that it's new-car customers are 'Cash Cows' with large wallets so it makes sound business sense to develop a product which has lots of options to make the average punter feel like Ranulph Fiennes on their way to Waitrose. It was never going to cost less than £40k, because that's where JLRs price-point starts.

I don't like the styling much, think they could have done more to make it a better reflection of the original - but I do admire the approach of trying to start something new. It looks a bit like a LR equivalent of the Toyota FJ Cruiser to me. And I quite like the FJ Cruiser!

Engines are a disappointment, but will probably do the job well. I'd like to see what they come up with when it comes to an EV powertrain - not sure how I'd feel testing the 900mm wading depth sitting on top of a 400V battery.

All in all, I'm glad it's here and the wait is over - it's cleared my decision to buy a new Jimny!!

Maybe for the same amount of money one for weekly,one for sunday,and one for pleasure.
New defender is just way to expensive.Hope they come out with a panel van,10 000£ cheaper at least
Post #791892 10th Sep 2019 7:27pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Yes I wonder what price tag the commercial defender has.
Still wouldn't part x my 300tdi for one , not that I would get much Rolling with laughter
Post #791894 10th Sep 2019 7:34pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Think I read or heard on a review that the commercials are around £35k. The more I look at it, the more I like it, just not sure on the position of the rear lights, and what is that weird floaty blank bit on the rear windows wall about?!
It’ll never replace my 110, but it may well replace our old disco.
Post #791923 10th Sep 2019 8:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>