Print this entire topic · 
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Looks v.nice
Post #786373 11th Aug 2019 9:18pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Mudflaps? Err, no. They're definitely in 'exhaust' territory.

But you have done your tyres Laughing 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #786374 11th Aug 2019 9:21pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Very nice. Thumbs Up

I agree, I do my mudflaps but being that I have a 200tdi, I draw a line at the exhaust. Laughing BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #786378 11th Aug 2019 9:23pm
Sulisuli

You could of course get powder coated stainless steel ones Whistle

Just wipe clean Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #786379 11th Aug 2019 9:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Sulisuli wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Mudflaps? Err, no. They're definitely in 'exhaust' territory.

But you have done your tyres Laughing

Yeah well, I happened to have a bottle marked 'tyre dressing' so it seemed rude not to.

Stainless mudflaps? Well that's a choice Confused Mine use the Gwyn Lewis removable kit. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #786388 11th Aug 2019 9:52pm
LandRoverAnorak

Cubby Box Extended Lid
Like many, I find the standard cubby box a bit low and on previous vehicles I've fitted or made a thickly padded lid to raise it up to a more comfortable elbow height. This time though, I thought I'd take a different approach and make an extended 'lid' to make use of that bit of extra space.

I started by making a wooden tray, the same size as the top of the cubby box, comprising 45x10mm strip wood for the sides and a 9mm ply base. I then bought a blank, stainless piano hinge and drilled it out to match the existing hinge holes in the top of the cubby and let it into the bottom of the new tray. The hinge attached the original lid was then let into the top edge of the new tray so that the tray fitted between the cubby box and the lid. This way, it could all be returned to standard without having drilled any additional holes in anything.

I bought a new, matching catch (Southco C3-810 Series Plastic Grabber Catch from Amazon) and fitted one half to the bottom and the other half inside the top of the tray, so that they lined up with the corresponding parts on the cubby and lid respectively.

The tray has been covered with black vinyl cloth, which is an ok match for the cubby box finish, albeit newer. I was originally going to glue this on but then hit upon the idea of using double-sided tape, which was a lot more controllable and less messy! I did prime the tray to help with adhesion, which seems to have worked well.

Click image to enlarge

Inside, I fitted a piece of rubber matting that I had left over from another project:

Click image to enlarge

I'm just waiting for some thin, black Perspex to finish off the bottom:

Click image to enlarge

Overall, I'm really pleased. The height is now much more useable as an arm rest and I've created a bit of extra storage space, which is always a good thing! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #791574 9th Sep 2019 10:23pm
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Re: Hinge Blocks
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I recently bought a set of Huttopia's rather splendid billet aluminium hinge blocks to replace the originals, as the paint on the latter was starting to bubble, despite being resprayed about eighteen months ago.

As delivered, they have a matt black, anodised finish:

Click image to enlarge

I wasn't keen on that so decided to spray them in body colour, as per the originals:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This was achieved by prepping them with some 1200 grit wet and dry, giving them a couple of coats of etch primer, two more of regular primer, two top coats and a final coat of clear lacquer, all from rattle cans. The 1200 grit was used again between each coat except the final top coat and the lacquer. I'm very pleased with the final result:

Click image to enlarge

Huttopia very kindly includes a set of standard cardboard gaskets with his blocks, but I've always thought that their performance as gaskets was pretty poor. They also don't line up particularly well with the bolt holes:

Click image to enlarge

I therefore decided to make my own from some thin rubber sheet. It was a relatively simple task to draw around the blocks and cut them out with scissors. The holes were measured and then cut out with the scalpel:

Click image to enlarge

They were then positioned on the hinge blocks and held in place with a couple of very small dabs of superglue:

Click image to enlarge

When it came to fitting, I tackled the drivers side first. I mentioned above that the original blocks had already been repainted, which included the windscreen frame and was just before I collected the vehicle. When I removed this block, I was dismayed to find that it had obviously been re-fitted before the paint had dryed and removing the cardboard gasket took off some of the paint, too:

Click image to enlarge

There was a hint of corrosion within the bolt hole through the frame and the middle bolt, that passes through the top of the bulkhead was also quite crusty. I cleaned it all up as best I could but the paintwork will require some more attention in the near future. As a stopgap though, I taped over the three holes on the outside and then squirted Dinitrol into them from inside:

Click image to enlarge

I then replaced the bolts with stainless ones:

Click image to enlarge

And finished them off with some black caps:

Click image to enlarge

You don't have the details of the stainless bolts somewhere do you? Planning on doing this job next week and unusually I'd like to organise all I need in advance rather than the normal procedure of getting halfway through before realising I need bits and bobs!
Post #792425 12th Sep 2019 10:52am
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, they're M8 x 50mm flanged head, purchased from eBay. Darren

Post #792468 12th Sep 2019 1:05pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Re: Hinge Blocks
MussEd wrote:
You don't have the details of the stainless bolts somewhere do you? Planning on doing this job next week and unusually I'd like to organise all I need in advance rather than the normal procedure of getting halfway through before realising I need bits and bobs!

Kill joy Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #792469 12th Sep 2019 1:23pm
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Yeah, they're M8 x 50mm flanged head, purchased from eBay.

Thank you sir!

Sorry Grenadier - don't fret there will be plenty of other mishaps along the way...
Post #792488 12th Sep 2019 2:40pm
LandRoverAnorak

Glove Box - Raptor Engineering
Tempted by a show offer at Peterborough, I've upgraded my glove box to the version offered by Raptor Engineering. It's quite a different design to the typical kits available and also offers a lot more space:

Click image to enlarge

The instructions are very straightforward, but because I'd already fitted another glove box, the early steps weren't necessary:

Click image to enlarge

With the old glove box removed, the only other step required in preparation was to remove two additional plastic posts from the underside of the lid, the middle one having already been cut off:

Click image to enlarge

The new glove box is basically folded steel sheet, so to prevent stuff rattling around inside, I lined the interior with sticky back neoprene:

Click image to enlarge

To fit, the whole assembly was pushed into the opening above the grab handle and secured with five supplied self-tapping screws. These each require a 1.5mm pilot hole and I drilled and fitted the rear three before drilling the front two:

Click image to enlarge

The lid is secured with two small Allen screws (the kit even includes the appropriate Allen key) and when all fitted, it looks very neat:

Click image to enlarge

Even though the front of the box is further forward, it still doesn't interfere with the grab handle:

Click image to enlarge

Overall, I'm very pleased. The kit was easy to fit and provides much larger and useable storage. Darren

Post #793246 15th Sep 2019 9:45pm
Sulisuli

That looks very smart Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #793247 15th Sep 2019 9:47pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Looks really good.

I saw that glovebox on their website but overlooked it because the photos are so bad.
Post #793251 15th Sep 2019 9:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

X Trouser Door Catches
There's a bit of deja vu with this one, as I've fitted these to my last two Defenders. The X Trouser door catch is a great little mod that significantly reduces the chances of catching belt loops on the door catch when getting into the vehicle.

Because they're not quite the same size as the originals, there's often a degree of faffing around with shims to make them fit nicely:

Click image to enlarge

On my last Defender, I ended up making complete new shims from plastic but it all depends on how the doors are adjusted on their hinges. This time, I only need to shim the drivers door slightly, with the passenger door not requiring anything at all.

Click image to enlarge

I've only done the front doors as the relative positions of the rear seats and the door frames seems to mean that it's less of an issue in the back. Darren

Post #793256 15th Sep 2019 10:06pm
LandRoverAnorak

Life Hammer
And the final little mod for today was to fit a Life Hammer. It's one of those things that you hope never to need, of course, but is absolutely the tool for the job if you do.

Positioning is tricky in the front of a Puma Defender - there are very few options and I eventually settled on the lower side of the centre dash. I did check that I could reach it with my seat belt locked before I committed myself! Fitting took five minutes and comprised three self-tapping screws into 1.5mm pilot holes:

Click image to enlarge

We have one fitted in my wifes' Discovery, too, but there I made a small base plate for it that, in turn, fixed to the grab handle mounting points:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #793259 15th Sep 2019 10:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 23 of 57 <123 ... 222324 ... 555657>