↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Tips for installing silicon intercooler hoses?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Tips for installing silicon intercooler hoses?
Had one of the inter cooler hoses split on me yesterday, so I’ve ordered a silicon set. I’ve heard the silicon ones can be an arse to fit, is there any advice out there? It’s a 2.2 if that matters.

Cheers
Col
Post #781048 11th Jul 2019 5:22am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I didn't find mine (from BAS) too bad to do. My 2.2 doesn't have aircon which makes it a bit easier.

Getting the airbox out is a faff, but taking out the right hand headlamp makes access to the lugs on it easier.

The most challenging hose is the short elbow from the inlet manifold on the left hand side to the steel hose that then joins to the intercooler with another longer flexible hose. Some folks leave it out, but as it's the one most likely to split, I think that's not a good idea.

You'll destroy your arms on the water hose spring clips, but I managed that elbow in around an hour and a quarter, considerably helped by using a flexible Jubilee clip tool:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000...&psc=1

There are some hard rubber spacers on the water hoses on the left hand side and I found sliding these away from where you're working helped to give me a bit more space. You'll also need to unclip the hoses from themselves and the bodywork in several spots to help access.

Unbolt the steel pipe from the water pump (two long bolts, awkward, but do-able with a socket wrench and ring spanner) partly using the larger space between two of the fan blades (have a look, there's a couple of larger gaps) for access. There was no need to remove the water pump as has been suggested elsewhere.

Once you've got the old elbow off, use a bit of soap to lubricate the inside of the large end of the new elbow and jiggle it onto the inlet manifold. It's a right blighter and be careful not to dent your wing. Loosely tighten the clip (I used new stainless genuine Jubilee clips) and then you can get the end of the steel pipe pushed into it. Again, a bit of soap helps. You will need a lot of force and a lot of swearing to do this.

Once you've re-tightened the two bolts for the steel pipe, you can tighten the two Jubilee clips up on the elbow with the flexible tool. Note that the clips will (obviously) go on two ways but you'll find you can only reach to tighten them if fitted one particular way. It should be obvious once you start. Make sure you've got both clips onto the elbow before you try to re-fit the steel pipe.

The two longer pipes aren't too bad to do, but you will need to remove some bits to get to them. You don't need to re-fit the coiled steel protector on the right hand one, but you do need to re-clamp it to the alternator using the original clamp. You'll think the clamp is too small to suit the new hose, but it will go on. If you haven't got this clamp, it was a LR mod from around 2014 to stop the hose chafing through.

If you've bought the BAS kit, the right hand hose will need a bit (15 - 20mm) removing from the turbo end. I used a new blade in a Stanley knife for this. Instructions are included, but don't take too much off.

There was a lot more stuff about this on here, but sadly most of it disappeared recently. I hope this is a bit of help.
Post #781051 11th Jul 2019 6:16am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Tips for installing silicon intercooler hoses?
Co1 wrote:
is there any advice out there?

Check your first aid kit for availability of plasters > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #781052 11th Jul 2019 6:21am
custom90

United Kingdom 
And antiseptic cream. Shocked Laughing

What's the best tool for the spring clips on some hoses too? They were a right pain when I had to change my waterpump! Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #781083 11th Jul 2019 9:06am
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
either long nose pliers or buy yourself a proper set of clip pliers.

The above advice about the fitment of the pipes is pretty spot on, me and sulisuli fought the little elbow one for a couple hours then took the metal pipe off the water pump and had it on and buttoned up in half an hour.

just make sure you have the circ-clips on the pipes square and the pipes on far enough so that they get a proper grip above the lips on the pipes as they can slip off when somebody is booting it up the motorway and you have to go and put the pipe back on twenty miles away Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #781085 11th Jul 2019 9:12am
Co1

Joe the Plumber wrote:
I didn't find mine (from BAS) too bad to do. My 2.2 doesn't have aircon which makes it a bit easier.

Getting the airbox out is a faff, but taking out the right hand headlamp makes access to the lugs on it easier.

The most challenging hose is the short elbow from the inlet manifold on the left hand side to the steel hose that then joins to the intercooler with another longer flexible hose. Some folks leave it out, but as it's the one most likely to split, I think that's not a good idea.

You'll destroy your arms on the water hose spring clips, but I managed that elbow in around an hour and a quarter, considerably helped by using a flexible Jubilee clip tool:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000...&psc=1

There are some hard rubber spacers on the water hoses on the left hand side and I found sliding these away from where you're working helped to give me a bit more space. You'll also need to unclip the hoses from themselves and the bodywork in several spots to help access.

Unbolt the steel pipe from the water pump (two long bolts, awkward, but do-able with a socket wrench and ring spanner) partly using the larger space between two of the fan blades (have a look, there's a couple of larger gaps) for access. There was no need to remove the water pump as has been suggested elsewhere.

Once you've got the old elbow off, use a bit of soap to lubricate the inside of the large end of the new elbow and jiggle it onto the inlet manifold. It's a right blighter and be careful not to dent your wing. Loosely tighten the clip (I used new stainless genuine Jubilee clips) and then you can get the end of the steel pipe pushed into it. Again, a bit of soap helps. You will need a lot of force and a lot of swearing to do this.

Once you've re-tightened the two bolts for the steel pipe, you can tighten the two Jubilee clips up on the elbow with the flexible tool. Note that the clips will (obviously) go on two ways but you'll find you can only reach to tighten them if fitted one particular way. It should be obvious once you start. Make sure you've got both clips onto the elbow before you try to re-fit the steel pipe.

The two longer pipes aren't too bad to do, but you will need to remove some bits to get to them. You don't need to re-fit the coiled steel protector on the right hand one, but you do need to re-clamp it to the alternator using the original clamp. You'll think the clamp is too small to suit the new hose, but it will go on. If you haven't got this clamp, it was a LR mod from around 2014 to stop the hose chafing through.

If you've bought the BAS kit, the right hand hose will need a bit (15 - 20mm) removing from the turbo end. I used a new blade in a Stanley knife for this. Instructions are included, but don't take too much off.

There was a lot more stuff about this on here, but sadly most of it disappeared recently. I hope this is a bit of help.

Epic advice Joe, very much appreciated!! Bow down
Post #781117 11th Jul 2019 12:18pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I did mine without removing anything. Took around half an hour but I did look like I had been dragged through a rose garden > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #781120 11th Jul 2019 12:38pm
llessur

United Kingdom 
I did mine last weekend, and took a " it will take as long as it takes approach" I still came away with battle scars though.
The only thing I struggled with was the air box removal, as it was well stuck in its rubbers. Plenty of wiggling and wd40 in the end. I wish I had thought of taking the headlight out though - great tip. I do recommend buying new hose clips though.
Post #781131 11th Jul 2019 2:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You can drill the rivets out of the air box from under the arch, just be careful you don't go too far though and have replacement rivets.
Once they are drilled out and the other other pipework removed it'll pull straight out.

The replacement rivets have a wide flange head for spreading load.
You then don't have that airbox rubber issue. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #781141 11th Jul 2019 3:41pm
Roy5695

Airbox comes out easy if you don’t have aircon. If you do it’s a PITA no matter what way you try and do it unless you disconnect the aircon pipe. Which is ever so slightly illegal if you have the gas in the system. You’ll also need to get your aircon system leak checked and re gased afterwards. 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #781150 11th Jul 2019 5:05pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I removed the expanded ends of the airbox fixing lugs so that it still uses the remaining stubs but isn't as firmly fixed as it was originally. I've had no problems with it working loose so far (the silicone airbox to turbo hose helps...) and it's now much easier to remove if I need to.

For spring clips, I use my water pump pliers. They're not designed for it, but work a treat and have plenty of leverage to hold the clips open. Mine are made by Ridgid and if you can afford them, they're useful for no end of things apart from plumbing. These are the ones I use:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools...IG5648047E

The ones shown above are mine, but the same ones on Amazon have a different picture for some reason.
Post #781165 11th Jul 2019 6:45pm
stevec205gti

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
custom90steve wrote:
And antiseptic cream. Shocked Laughing

What's the best tool for the spring clips on some hoses too? They were a right pain when I had to change my waterpump!

This could be the best £8 you ever spend....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Long-R...SwQaFawxSr

I've not had to fiddle with any hoses on my Defender yet, but these have been amazing on previous land rovers. Simply feed the head over the clip, squeeze the handle, and they lock the clip open so you can slide it out the way.
Post #781207 12th Jul 2019 6:18am
Co1

Hoses arrived today, but I think they are wrong? Ordered hoses for a 2013 2.2 tdci which I think are the hose one the left, but then one long hose instead of the two short pieces. Am I missing a trick here?

Click image to enlarge
Post #781273 12th Jul 2019 6:35pm
Roy5695

Is that all you received? 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #781275 12th Jul 2019 6:41pm
Co1

Yep, that was the lot!
Post #781277 12th Jul 2019 6:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>