↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > driving standards
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
driving standards
coming home from work earlier on, taking my time with the weather been the way it is up here. rain, wind and foggy. which makes things even worse. All was well up to the about a mile away from home, when a van on the other side went into the his right hand lane into the junction to turn into the estate, He waits ok, that stops cars from the estate turning onto his road. Well not today, Some silly cow with two kids in the back decided to chance her luck, and just stops right in the middle of the road i am on!! cause she realised that the van was in the way. So i had the Censored brakes so hard to locking up the wheels and skidding, with the road been that wet and its a bad road at the best of times. Censored knows what the van driver thought, at the time, But he wasn't pleased with her at all! neither was i, I let him pass so that the silly cow could clear the road. She didnt look over at all, as she knew she had done wrong! if i hadn't been taking my time there, a long with the cars behind me, i would hate to think on the out come of that one! stopping dead in the middle of a main road, to me is a no no!
anyone got any stories like this? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #777284 12th Jun 2019 8:41pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
One of my pet hates people who stop on main roads to let others out what a nightmare, happens so much in Cornwall during the summer months Evil or Very Mad 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #777289 12th Jun 2019 8:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I can't stand people in back road single carriage way lanes that drive at excess spped around blind bends and in what ever weather.
Acting all surprised and locking the brakes up then trying to stop dead as soon as anyone's comes the opposite way.

I always keep my speed down often to around 22mph or so and on MTR's.
Then you'll often get someone behind who wants to do more like 35mph in the wet.
I usually pull over if there is a decent place to get rid of them, if they want to drive like that and crash into them they can get on with it but not tailgating me. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #777293 12th Jun 2019 9:15pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Driving standards? Definitely getting worse, tailgating/aggressive driving is becoming the norm on the roads and the do what I want attitude.

Agree about idiots on single track country lanes and blind bends, do these people really feel they are immune to accidents? Rolling Eyes
Post #777321 13th Jun 2019 8:58am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Agree that there are some plebs on the UK roads... However currently living and driving in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, all I can say is we should be extremely grateful for the generally decent standard of driving in the UK.

Whenever I visit home driving is an absolute pleasure by comparison > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #777324 13th Jun 2019 9:13am
Chawks

United Kingdom 
I was working recently in Turkey where there appears to be no rules when it comes to driving. Make up your own lanes, one way streets that are both ways if you feel like it and best of all my taxi driver stopping on the motorway (lane 1not hard shoulder )to check his sat nav.
Driving over here is bad a times but could be worse- one of my biggest big bears is people not using headlights in heavy rain, early morning and evening. Not much common sense used
Post #777335 13th Jun 2019 11:02am
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Just installed a nextbase 512 front n rear on my Defender for plonkas like that... And with the NC500 looming evercloser thought it was a good idea to have it - 2000 miles (ish) and that's without any detours we do... Best to be covered Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #777338 13th Jun 2019 11:13am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Chawks wrote:
I was working recently in Turkey where there appears to be no rules when it comes to driving. Make up your own lanes, one way streets that are both ways if you feel like it and best of all my taxi driver stopping on the motorway (lane 1not hard shoulder )to check his sat nav.
Driving over here is bad a times but could be worse- one of my biggest big bears is people not using headlights in heavy rain, early morning and evening. Not much common sense used

Same over here Laughing Missed your junction on the motorway? No problem, just reverse back along the motorway! > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #777343 13th Jun 2019 11:40am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
custom90steve wrote:
I can't stand people in back road single carriage way lanes that drive at excess spped around blind bends and in what ever weather.
Acting all surprised and locking the brakes up then trying to stop dead as soon as anyone's comes the opposite way.

Tell me about it, most of the lanes near me have deep black tyre skids just before a bend wher motorist have jammed on the brakes. To be fair I blame speed signs most of the lanes near me have the circle with the black line so people think you can safely do 60 mph on a narrow country lane with lots of blind bends. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #777351 13th Jun 2019 1:16pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^^ People now forget they are speed limits, not targets.
Post #777355 13th Jun 2019 2:05pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
As above, as soon as they see the national speed limit sign they drive to it irrelevant of road conditions. Maybe time this was abolished and restricted to a more appropriate speed??

When the national speed limit was introduced, cars could hardly get to 60/70, now even the most ordinary cars are pretty damn quick to get there!

Also there's lots of people who don't actually understand the difference between a national speed limit single lane and dual carriageway so some think they are all 70mph Shocked
Post #777363 13th Jun 2019 3:26pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Needs to be regs included for motorists regarding horse riders too, another big issue.
I've rarely known horse riders to be in the wrong but often known of excess speed and unacceptable behaviour before past and present with motorist.
Even the cyclists should learn road laws apply to them as well! Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #777370 13th Jun 2019 3:59pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Yeah mike c, I have noticed that, The A19 where I go on is a major danger zone, when it rains it can practically be a wash out! yet I still see people giving it some down the right hand lane over taking people, and the spray of the water just say can be cleared with the wipers on full blast. I think common sense should be called for in weather conditions as bad what we have had. Only takes a backend to go and that's a full blown 3 lane smash up. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #777371 13th Jun 2019 4:03pm
kaney

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I have been driving my sons car with a few years now whilst hes in the Navy ( i give it regular runs to keep the battery charged up and stop the Bbox comp from phoning up as they wonder why after a few weeeks if not moved) with a black box fitted it has really made me stick to the 20mph limits etc, But what i think should happen is insurance companys should make drivers who have been caught speeding have a black box fitted to their vehicle for a year at the drivers expence wether or not anyone else drives that vehicle or not (it will slow them down too) and if caught speeding 3 times i think 5miles mph over you get £100 taken out your bank account like what would happen to my son if he did.
I think this would help
Post #777375 13th Jun 2019 5:13pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
from what I've just read things are pretty good outside of Birmingham....

you wanna try your luck here for a few days. you certainly don't need insurance or a driving license. the car doesn't even need to belong to your or be registered. so long as it's a 'pool' just come and add to the foray!

and don't get me started on parking penalties Evil or Very Mad !!

the Censored have stung me for a parking offence when their Censored machine didn't even issue a ticket. !!
Post #777381 13th Jun 2019 6:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>