↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > driving standards
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi, agreed everyone needs to get there destination in a flash, there seems to be no consideration, I used to cycle to work daily but stopped this about 4 weeks ago due to careless driving, baring in mind I wear a hi viz jacket my rucksack has a hi viz cover also I have flashing lights front and rear whatever the weather they are on oh and a camera clearly displayed on my bike helmet facing backwards, here is one of them that in mine and Thames Valley Polices view a dangerous driver who is now being dealt with, this incident was extremely scary and now I no longer cycle to work which is a real shame as I enjoyed it and it helped keep me fit. This driver was I would say driving within the speed limit 50 mph but was way to close to me.

Click image to enlarge

Paul
Post #777496 14th Jun 2019 6:40pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
To me its all about safety too, I always make a point in getting past cyclists by going into the other lane. Just in case they go down or the bike gets unsettled. I love to cycle mind and I would have a go for work, but like you say its other people. I have seen many cyclists done up with all gear like you have. Which is a great thing, as you can see them a good few yards off plus. One lad thought that worked where I used to work, I nearly knocked off his bike, if a mate who I was giving a lift home hadn't have seen him 1st. I had just come off the arounderabout so I was checking my mirrors, and checked my rear mirror, for as you do when you enter new road. Well the area wasn't that well lit at the time, ( no street lights and it was night time about 10 30 ish) The lad happened to be cycling on the road and was dressed in black with a riding a black bike! lucky enough he was a good couple of yards away at the time so I was able to go around him as normal. I said to my mate, ya Censored ! he has a death wish! lucky you clocked him before I did! The laugh was, 2 weeks later on the exact same stretch of road, a police car nearly knocked him off his bike, for the exact same thing! He was told either ride on the path or get lit up with all the full works. The lad never bothered riding again after that. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #777512 14th Jun 2019 7:19pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi procta, crikey I’m not surprised, I know some people view cyclists as a pain but crikey if it adds a minute on to the journey that’s it, but if that cyclist is hit it’s a fact he will be a lot worse off, I just don’t get why everyone is in such a rush nowadays I genuinely don’t recall it being like this even 10 years ago, I get that people want to get to their destination but it’s common sense surely to allow themselves time to also get to their destination safely and drive responsibly around other road users be they cyclists,motorcyclists,horse riders, pedestrians or other drivers they all have a right to use the public highway and a right to be able to go home to their loved ones safely Thumbs Up Paul
Post #777516 14th Jun 2019 7:36pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
one of my pet hates is that everyone hits the brakes all the sodding time, I am shouting what you braking for! When all you do is just ease off the loud pedal and all is well. Too bad for the arse wipe who is sitting right up your arse, but then they should have a good braking distance from you. All seems to be wacky racers, a few times things have popped up in front of me at the time, and I have thought if I was going any faster at the time, that would have been a different story. I did nearly get T boned/took out once in my rover metro. Some one was going to chance their luck and nip across at the very last min, but hit the brakes in stead causing the car behind to go into the back. I thought what a stupid Censored ! Back off earlier have a right on and wait, all will be well. Many close shaves I have had with metros has been unreal! the 1st one was nearly written off by other people. The second one was a gta 16v so that used to surprise a few people, 16v ones were not common at all, but used to get a shock when they realised that's a little bit quick for a 1.1.
The last defender, again someone pulled right out infront of me, and the bus did the same trick to him, I nearly put the car into the bus rear section! I think bus driver didn't seem him, clocked me, though hence his move, he had some time. or just did it to Censored him off. I was well Censored . he even had the cheek to try and brake test me, up a hill. Like that was going to work with a Defender. Rolling Eyes Me and my dad have bull bars to make people think twice about last min gambles. Yes they do work! Thumbs Up Also I read a bad story years ago about road rage from one of the lads on a forum I used to use. He was a doctor. had me practically in tears. Basically the BMW driver decided to make an audi driver crash side on into a tree, which resulted in killing a 3 year old girl. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #777525 14th Jun 2019 8:02pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
my wife and I went to Bradford yesterday to see her dad . what a nightmare the m62 was like whacky racers going and once in Bradford you take your life in your hand some should not have a car pulling out in front of you then stopping . luckily going hone there was heavy rain so most was sensible and doing about 50 . we both needed a drink when we got home and it was not tea Smile
Post #777832 17th Jun 2019 1:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12