↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Defender 90 Puma. Bad connection rear of instrument cluster
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy730

Isle Of Man 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Now that was very interesting and informative... With that, i think that i will have a go and try it myself... But i will leave it until the weekend...

I will take pics of what i find (should i see anything) and i will report back when done Very Happy Thanks very much guys!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed Andy
2007 Puma Defender
2005 Volvo S60 T5 (for Sundays)
1998 MGF
Post #704851 2nd May 2018 8:27pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Mark that’s made that video offers a repair service if you chicken out Thumbs Up
Post #704863 2nd May 2018 9:05pm
Andy730

Well, as it was such a nice day and with the wife at work, i decided to take the plunge..

removal of the cluster was simple.. (i've done that a few times)

taking the front clear plastic front off, was new to me, but simple as i'd watched Marks video shown earlier in this thread..

So, here i am ready to remove the dials...

Click image to enlarge

Marks video was invaluable, as it was removing the needles that was putting me of. But they came off with ease with the 'twist & pull' method.

Here i am with the bare PCB with the offending plug solder connections on the top right...

Click image to enlarge

And here is a close up, Marks video was right again, the pins in the middle were all fine, but at each end, well, here's two more pics

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There are cracked solder joints at each end of the socket (there's at least 3 on the left end, and two on the right end)

I will admit that my soldering isn't he best, but it is functional. Laughing

Here is the finished socket

Click image to enlarge

The cluster has been rebuilt and refitted to my car...

I'm now very happy to report that i've covered 20(ish) miles without any issues. Very Happy

All of this would not have been possible without the fantastic help & advise from various members of Defender2,net Bow down

Thanks people!! Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #705232 4th May 2018 3:56pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Glad you got it sorted Andy. The modern marvel of YouTube Thumbs Up

I hope you left Mark a thumbs up Laughing
Post #705252 4th May 2018 5:17pm
Andy730

Yes, thumbs up and my grateful thanks to him... even subscribed...

The internet is a wonderful thing indeed.. Very Happy

I'm not going to refit the rest of the plastic bits (top & bottom) of the cluster as my next job is the windscreen wiper wheel box's and drive rod...

Once that is done, the only other issue is the EGR valve. It needs stripping & cleaning. I've already fitted a blank... It would be nice to get the engine light turned off Smile Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #705305 4th May 2018 8:44pm
Terravecchia

Italy 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Andy730 wrote:
Well, it has been a little while, but with the help of a group on facebook, and some knowledgeable people, it seems that my issue is with the instrument cluster itself, possibly a dry joint on the internal PCB.

This fault could be anything, BUT there is also a line in and a line out that are from the immobiliser. The internal fault upsets this immobiliser in/out and thus, arms it and disables the car.

There is a good ‘work around’ that stops the car being disabled. I can’t claim this as mine, but it does work for me. It has come from a guy called Pete, and he seems to know his stuff.. See the attached JPG file, it shows that two wires need to be cut on the plug on the rear of the instrument cluster, and then linked together.

With this mod done, I can now start & drive my car without problem.
BUT… this has still left my with an intermittent fault of the instrument cluster, this fault affects my ignition & oil light, both fuel & temperature gauges and, sometimes the rev counter. The miles trip meter will also reset to zero.

I suspect the only fix for that one is to replace the cluster, but at almost £300, I can’t see that happening to soon… Tyres will be the next purchase for me…

Hope that this helps someone else…

Click image to enlarge

Hi all,
I have run into this exact same problem with my 2008 TDCi and it is driving me up the wall... i have just tried to start my landy and turned once and that is it. Dead after that. I will leave for an hour and then start it again, can guarantee that it will start as it happened so many times. I plugged in my nanocom evo and disabled arm on lock,plip imobilised and key mobilised in the hope that it will render the AS10 semi useless, but did not work... as much as i dont like cutting wires i dont think i have any options (apart from buying a new cluster which I cant do right now). Has anyone tried Andy730 (or Petes) workaround as above? Not sure how these wires correspond to the connector at the back? Can anyone please shed some light... please? Thank you
Post #774807 25th May 2019 3:15am
Andy730

Not sure it will help or not, but my problem eventually turned out to be cracked soldered connections n the instrument cluster where the socket is attached to the PCB.

There is a video of the problem on youtube &feature=youtu.be

I took my cluster apart and sure enough the plug connections had cracks in the solder... I simply resoldered the connections and my landy has been fine ever since Very Happy Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #774851 25th May 2019 11:27am
Terravecchia

Thank you for the reply, i will remove it and have a look. Quite daunting soldering something like this.. for me anyhow. As i live out in the sticks i can not afford to break something Sad

With your wire cut diagram (i have managed to id the wires) you mentioned that the car could start, which is number one to me, but your last sentence mentioned that it will reset the mileage trip meter to zero. Are you refering to the trip meter which can manually be reset by the button or overall milleage travelled meter - something i seriously hope will not be the case. Can you please confirm before i do the cut?

Thanks a lot!
Post #774959 25th May 2019 10:40pm
Andy730

Yeah, just the trip meter, just as if you pressed the button.

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you're not up to a bit of soldering, then there is a guy 'on-line' and in the UK that will do the job for you. I've seen a link to a site on here somewhere on here... But if you're up to doing it yourself, the hardest part is getting the cluster apart. If you already have a soldering iron and solder, then it's not that hard to re-flow the joints.

Mine has been fine since i did it. Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #775003 26th May 2019 8:59am
Andy730

I will add that if you have a problem with these bad joints on the PCB, then i noticed that every time the fault caused a problem with the car that it also reset the trip miles to zero once i got it started again. of course, this might not be the same for you, but it was another pointer to the PCB joints.

If i remember right, the immobiliser link through the cluster is meant to disable the car if the cluster is removed by a thief while trying to nick your car. So, please bear that in mind. Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #775007 26th May 2019 9:11am
Terravecchia

Hi Andy, thank you for your help.
Glad to report that the solder solution worked. As you mentioned that hardest part was taking the cluster appart without breaking anything. When all was put back together and fitte, i hooked up the battery and she started first thing Very Happy

My only problem now is turning the AS10 back on again. Remember i mentioned that i turned it off using my nanocom evo, well when i go into the same settings now it tells me "no data to write back" also where i have disabled the settings it shows as enabled. Yet the clusters red light does not come on any longer as it was when i disabled the settings... did i need to save the data before disabling it perhaps! Any idea how i can turn these on at the as10 module level again?

Cristo
Post #775757 1st Jun 2019 2:17am
Andy730

Hello Cristo,

Glad the repairs worked out ok.

As to your other problem with the AS10 unit, i'm sorry, but i can't help you with that one Crying or Very sad

It might be an idea to post a new thread asking for help with the AS10 explaining what happened.

At least you can drive your car now, so that's good! Very Happy

Andy.. Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #775767 1st Jun 2019 8:29am
Andrewdb

Sweden 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Hi Andy, I have started to have the same problems as you and Christos, on my 2008 110 Puma, but on the starting side only, not the gauges. I am pretty sure that the Instrument panel is the cause (checked everything else, new batteries, connections etc with no joy). I would like to try the bridge with the cables you mentioned, but it is not clear to which cable in the plug you are referring to, checking my wiring diagrams they don't seem to match your reference. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated try and get the car to start. Many thanks for your input.
Andrew
Post #801066 6th Nov 2019 6:24pm
Andy730

Hello Andrew.

My Defender has been fine ever since I made the repair. I haven't gone back over the complete thread here, but I don't recall there being any issues with gauges.. but it has been a while...

Anyway, one good indication I had that it was the multipin plug on the instrument cluster was the miles trip meter always reset it self to zero. Keep an eye out for it.

As to what plug is it... You've fallen into the same trap I did. The wiring diagram showing the temporary link behind the cluster only shows part of the multipin plug..

There is only one plug to the rear of the cluster, and the relative wires are in the bundle.

BUT, here's the thing... if you have removed the cluster so you can get to the plug... why not go the whole hog, and delve into the cluster itself and check the PCB..? If you find it is bad joints, then a little time with a soldering iron and you'll have it fixed. Then there will be no need to bridge out the cluster as it will work as it is supposed to do.

If you feel it is beyond your abilities (nothing wrong with that!) there are one or two companies out there that will fix it for you.. for a small fee of course..

The cluster is fitted to a few different cars within the Ford group.

Hope that this helps... Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #801094 6th Nov 2019 8:50pm
Andrewdb

Sweden 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your quick reply. I thought about the soldering as this make good sense, I was hoping to try a quick fix with the wire bridge to nail it down to the IPAC (i.e bridge it, if it starts all good and remove bridge and hopefully it won't start) and then spend some time with the soldering iron to hopefully resolve it fully.
One question though - in the thread you state that you 1st bridged the wires and the car started , then moved on to the PCB to resolve the issue permanently. If you could check which wires you bridged would help me a lot, so that I could do the sanity check before breaking down to the PCB, Im worried that if I damage it and need to replace I have a 1 week lead time Sweden from the UK and a bill of 500Gbp which I would rather avoid.

Thanks again...
Andrew
Post #801106 6th Nov 2019 9:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>