↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Defender 90 Puma. Bad connection rear of instrument cluster
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Your instrument cluster earths are on a header block (white connector earthed through a stud with lots of black wires) behind the expansion bottle on the td5. Very common fault.
Post #703893 29th Apr 2018 12:00am
RANGER1312

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Stornoway Grey
Thanks Nick!

What's the best way to test or is it worthwhile just swapping it out providing it's a part then can just be exchanged?
Post #703894 29th Apr 2018 12:04am
NickMc

Most of the time it’s the stud has gone rusty I wouldn’t wiggle and poke with anything until I’ve done my testing, because once you have you’ll be chasing an intermittent fault forever!

I would have a look on YouTube at voltage drop testing by someone like TST seminars if you’re genuinely interested in learning how to do it properly.

You need a wiring diagram and see which portion you have faults intermittently on and narrowing it down possibly to one portion of the header (if three lights aren’t working and they’re all on the same portion, that’ll narrow it down immensely). Inside the header block there’s pins and they connect to a “bus bar” type arrangement ie: four wires might splice together onto it , 6 onto another, 3 onto another - although from the outside eye the plug looks like they all connect together. PaulMC does the pins and plugs for the headers that’s who I get mine off. I couldn’t tell you which part of the circuit is at fault without seeing it and testing it, anyone who says they can let me know where they purchased their crystal ball from Laughing

That header might be an all in one iirc because it earths through the bulkhead stud.

Td5 wiring is terrible as is most of Land Rovers wiring from BMW and zee Germans era of ownership. Seeing more and more wiring faults in Td5 Defenders wiring as the age of them creeps up now. Spend a massive amount of workshop time chasing rotten wiring and plugs in my garage now on them with disgruntled customers that just don’t get it

Last edited by NickMc on 29th Apr 2018 12:40am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #703895 29th Apr 2018 12:15am
RANGER1312

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Stornoway Grey
Sounds simple Shocked Rolling Eyes

Rolling with laughter
Post #703896 29th Apr 2018 12:21am
custom90

United Kingdom 
There are also Earth points on the outriggers and transfer box, the latter is definteky worth checking.

These are in addition to the bulkhead earths.

I don't have diagrams to hand but they should be online somewhere or here.
Possibly someone has it here. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #703961 29th Apr 2018 12:52pm
Andy730

Isle Of Man 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
RANGER1312 wrote:
Apologies Andy, I don't want to hijack your thread but didn't want to effectively duplicate the topic in the section, hope this is ok?

Apologies not needed, I still have some issues with mine so all discussion is all good. I'm just not sure what else is routed through the instrument cluster (or why?!?!?!) The link to my immobiliser has been removed, and all my passive bits of the security system have been turned off.

I am now guessing that there is some other thing linked to the cluster, perhaps the ECU, i say this as i have noticed that sometimes the cluster will partly die (for a few seconds) the rev counter either sticks at what it was showing, OR,it drops to zero, as does the speedo, temp & fuel gauge.. But the ignition light lights up. I think this all points to the earth going into the cluster... But while this happens, the engine splutters a little, and feels under powered...

If my problem is actually an earth problem then it is in the plug on the rear of the cluster itself. Andy
2007 Puma Defender
2005 Volvo S60 T5 (for Sundays)
1998 MGF
Post #703965 29th Apr 2018 1:23pm
Andy730

So.. i think i now have the problem pinpointed (fingers crossed)

I have removed the instrument cluster and pulled the multi-pin plug apart, in an attempt to to rule out a bad connection within the plug, i have pulled each pin from he plug and soldered each crimped connection in turn. (By that i mean i heated the pin up with my iron and let solder run over the connection.) I am now 100% sure each pin is now trouble free.

Sadly, all this has proved is that the problem is NOT the plug, so it MUST be the socket within the cluster itself. Sad

As it is now, i can touch the top on the plug with my finger and if i gently press the plug and move my finger left & right i can get the fault to appear.

So, i think that my next step would be to send the cluster to a repair shop, one that will be able to test and diagnose what could be a dry joint on the PCB of the cluster (not the easiest of faults to find)

Anyone got any recommendations for such a place??

Thanks.. Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #704620 1st May 2018 8:25pm
NickMc

custom90steve wrote:
There are also Earth points on the outriggers and transfer box, the latter is definteky worth checking.

These are in addition to the bulkhead earths.

I don't have diagrams to hand but they should be online somewhere or here.
Possibly someone has it here.

Instrument cluster is earthed through the header I’ve described behind the expansion bottle Thumbs Up
Post #704697 2nd May 2018 12:04am
NickMc

Andy730 wrote:
So.. i think i now have the problem pinpointed (fingers crossed)

I have removed the instrument cluster and pulled the multi-pin plug apart, in an attempt to to rule out a bad connection within the plug, i have pulled each pin from he plug and soldered each crimped connection in turn. (By that i mean i heated the pin up with my iron and let solder run over the connection.) I am now 100% sure each pin is now trouble free.

Sadly, all this has proved is that the problem is NOT the plug, so it MUST be the socket within the cluster itself. Sad

As it is now, i can touch the top on the plug with my finger and if i gently press the plug and move my finger left & right i can get the fault to appear.

So, i think that my next step would be to send the cluster to a repair shop, one that will be able to test and diagnose what could be a dry joint on the PCB of the cluster (not the easiest of faults to find)

Anyone got any recommendations for such a place??

Thanks..

If you’re feeling brave it’s probably a cracked solder joint on the cluster connector possibly from what you’ve said? Normally can see them with a good magnifying glass. Or you could try mark he repairs them.
Post #704698 2nd May 2018 12:05am
Andy730

NickMc wrote:
If you’re feeling brave it’s probably a cracked solder joint on the cluster connector possibly from what you’ve said? Normally can see them with a good magnifying glass. Or you could try mark he repairs them.

I had thought about that. What puts me off is getting to the PCB itself as from what i can tell, disassembly involves removing the needles from each meter. It's the actual removal of these that puts me off. Perhaps i shall have another look, maybe convince myself it is do-able Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #704720 2nd May 2018 8:23am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Havea chat with Gary @ Alive Tuning regarding the repair, he really knows his stuff with IPAC units etc. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #704748 2nd May 2018 12:16pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red

Video by woody32 on the DISCO3 forum. The Defender Puma cluster is the same Thumbs Up  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #704758 2nd May 2018 12:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy730

That looks like twist and pull rather than a thread... and i guess the fuel/temp are the same from that... I think i will revisit having a look at it myself... Just need a clear afternoon now... Smile

Oh, and thanks for putting the video on, much appreciated!! Andy
2007 Puma Defender
1998 MGF
Post #704789 2nd May 2018 4:17pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I think he covers the fuel and temp ones too. Check the video's comments as I think there's more detail in there as well.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #704796 2nd May 2018 4:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickMc

Martin has beaten me to it, but a Good video on ford cluster Repairs Thumbs Up

Post #704820 2nd May 2018 6:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>