↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Broken down in France again and now UK.....VERY not happy...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Yey.....Made it here at least.........Poitou-Charentes Rolling with laughter

Bow down To Martin once again ......

Click image to enlarge

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #774434 22nd May 2019 5:07pm
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
UPDATE.......had 3 more trips to France and all working fine...... Very Happy

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #796386 2nd Oct 2019 6:52pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
spudfan wrote:
I heard of a Citroen that sometimes would not turn off...even with the key removed. The problem turned out to be a mobile phone sitting on the dash.
A Kia would not start at the local shop. The problem turned out to be a Ford car parked beside it. The immobiliser on the Ford would not let the Kia start. Once the Ford left the Kia started. The owner of the Kia who is a mechanic told me both of those stories.

This happened to me on my Triumph. There's a pass on the A40 (Route of Titans, great name), between Bourg en Bresse and Geneva, just before Nantua. At the Col there is a petrol station which I pulled into some years ago, parking the bike out front. Returned to the bike, pointed the fob to disengage the immobiliser and pressed the starter button. Nada. Tried again. Nada. Walked away, allowed the immobiliser light to reset and start flashing and went through the process again. Nothing. Thought, "balls, typical Triumph electrics" in a bike that was just 1 month old. Heard a tap on the window and the cashier beckoned me in. She explained that there was a huge telecoms mast on the hilltop on the opposite side of the motorway which effected motorbikes and that I should push the bike round the corner so the building blocked the signal and would work. Did exactly that and voila, fires up first time. Been through the pass many times and each time I stop there is a 'broken down' bike suffering the same problem. They really should put up a sign... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #796490 3rd Oct 2019 7:11am
pumaguzzler555

South Africa 
Hi mates, newbie here with an intermittent no crank/start on my 2.4 puma 2007, started off randomly beginning of this year, barely use it but mostly used for family outings, so it's sitting most the times, anyways, I decided not to be abandoning my baby for so long anymore, but to my surprise, it has developed an intermittent no crank/start situation, where when/if Immobilizer is armed/disarmed and you try to start it, it'll crank and cut off starter relay, or no crank at all, leave it a good few 20-30 mins and it'll start up just fine, now I don't have any other issues but with starting system itself, I scanned for faults and only fault I have is in the cluster/IPC Intermittently saying lost communication with ECM, now when you clear, fault won't appear until much much later(prolly a few days, even if the puma misbehaves, using LAUNCH X431 PRO and SDD with passthru), now I really suspect the IPC is intermittently not sending the immo signal to the ECU, and since IPC is a link between the 10AS and the ECU/DCU106, it could be culprit but don't wanna jump to conclusions too soon, neither wanna be a parts changer, so I wanted to ask Martin, or anyone knowledgeable, the bridging of pin 3 and 4 is done with or without the cluster ? I did it without the cluster but I get no crank unfortunately, maybe I'm doing something wrong, in the image below is the 2 pins I'm bridging, thanks for any help, wish me luck 😅

Click image to enlarge
Post #956057 20th Jun 2022 9:02pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
If you've pulled out the cluster plug, bridged pins 3 to 4 and still get no/interrupted cranking, then your starting issues lies elsewhere. With 3-4 bridged then there is a direct immob link between the 10AS and the ECU.

A few things would stop the actual starter motor:
  1. starter relay coil ground path (immobiliser controlled: from ECU or 10AS depending on exact chassis number)
  2. starter relay coil 12V input (from ignition switch)
  3. starter relay failure
  4. starter motor internal failure
  5. wiring issue between starter relay and starter
  6. main power cable to starter loose

Try a manual start wire/switch as below, which will help point towards it being 1/2 or 3/4/5/6.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post955576.html#955576  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #956085 21st Jun 2022 8:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pumaguzzler555

South Africa 
Tried the manual starter mod, will continue cranking as though vehicle is Immobilized, but if not misbehaving and try starter mod, wil fire up just fine. . . If it is as though Immobilized, I guess it's either 1 or 2 causing the fault, but don't wanna do guess work, so need you guys help Bow down
Post #956095 21st Jun 2022 9:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456