↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Defender production line Solihull
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
Morning, I'm in BS1 where we are building the RR/RRS which also ran alongside the Defender BIW line. That was stripped out to make way for the cells that built the Disco doors, which I had also worked on. NOW the Disco as gone to Nitra that is now been stripped out and robots and other machinery put on pallets. I was on the team that started to put the Disco thru BS2 in its BIW Underbody form before it went full steam build till start of Feb this year.. All that's left in BS2 now is the door and bonnet cells for the SWB RR but that is only for a few more months whilst the new lines are put in place for MLA platforms with RR/RRS...

Its certainly moving ahead at the site, with rumours that the Defender could come back to Solihull, would like to be able to share photos of what's going on but its more than my jobs worth..

We are on production stand down from Friday this week just for 1 week tho , but certainly pushing out the numbers in lead up to it... Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #766819 4th Apr 2019 11:10am
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
There was this recently on ebay which is labelled as a 2018 part:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RETURNED-FOR-DE...3629521633

It's a <98 part but has the 99 onwards fuel filler hole (or even later considering there's also a hole for the lead). So I suspect real genuine parts for the 90's era won't be exactly the same as they would have been, to the rivet counters' dismay Smile
Post #766910 4th Apr 2019 6:33pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
adafish wrote:
Morning, I'm in BS1 where we are building the RR/RRS which also ran alongside the Defender BIW line. That was stripped out to make way for the cells that built the Disco doors, which I had also worked on. NOW the Disco as gone to Nitra that is now been stripped out and robots and other machinery put on pallets. I was on the team that started to put the Disco thru BS2 in its BIW Underbody form before it went full steam build till start of Feb this year.. All that's left in BS2 now is the door and bonnet cells for the SWB RR but that is only for a few more months whilst the new lines are put in place for MLA platforms with RR/RRS...

Its certainly moving ahead at the site, with rumours that the Defender could come back to Solihull, would like to be able to share photos of what's going on but its more than my jobs worth..

We are on production stand down from Friday this week just for 1 week tho , but certainly pushing out the numbers in lead up to it...

Nice to get some real info 1st hand ~ thanks for sharing Thumbs Up

Is it your understanding that the new Defender will be the first vehicle to get the MLA platform?
Post #766989 5th Apr 2019 10:47am
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Completely agree! First hand information is so difficult to find.

Over here across the water, rumors and speculation are running wild on everything JLR. Of course with the release of the new Jeep Gladiator, all the Defender faithfuls are going on about how the new Defender will pale in comparison. I'm more of a brand loyalist though Smile it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #767062 5th Apr 2019 5:20pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
diesel_jim wrote:
gilarion wrote:

A few years ago I read an article where someone estimated how much it would cost to assemble and build a Defender 90 300TDi from genuine parts/spares and from what I can recall the final bill came to one hundred and sixty thousand pounds.

I did it, back in 2011, I'd had a few ciders too many and was playing with microcat.... decided to see how much a Td5 90 hard top (basic farmer spec) would cost in "parts"

£71,597 Rolling with laughter

Here's the parts list if anyone's interested....

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...0build.pdf

Plenty savings to be made in there. £1500 for 4 calipers? Nah, a full set can be had for £120 Laughing

£9k for a pair of axles is frightening though, as is £4K for a gearbox Shocked
Post #767064 5th Apr 2019 5:31pm
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
Regarding Defender on MLA, doubt it unless there is another model year build later . At mo its going to be built in Nitra alongside the Disco, its using most of its underbody anyway. The production line underbody cells have the options of 90/110 on the cell doors... Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #767066 5th Apr 2019 5:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123