↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Defender production line Solihull
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Defender production line Solihull
Today I spent the afternoon in the empty building where the Defender was built. We are quoting to do some inspection work. It was quite eerie and sad at the same time. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #765882 29th Mar 2019 12:38am
leeds

United Kingdom 
JLRClassic are still modifying Defenders for the 70th edition.

Have JLR cleared out the production line equipment?

Brendan
Post #765883 29th Mar 2019 12:57am
Procta

United Kingdom 
I recon the tooling will have been sold on sadly, Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #765888 29th Mar 2019 7:09am
AndrewS

leeds wrote:

Brendan

The building is completely empty apart from the asbestos removal contractors. The building is going to be refurbished including a new roof. Then a new production line for a JLR vehicle will be assembled.

@Procta Apparently the Defender assembly line and anything to do with it has been scrapped, JLR wanted to make sure the Defender would not re emerge. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #765910 29th Mar 2019 9:36am
leeds

United Kingdom 
AndrewS, can you give us a rough estimate of the size of the building please.

Have never been in a car production plant so just an idle thought.

Brendan
Post #765917 29th Mar 2019 10:44am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
AndrewS wrote:
leeds wrote:

Brendan

The building is completely empty apart from the asbestos removal contractors. The building is going to be refurbished including a new roof. Then a new production line for a JLR vehicle will be assembled.

@Procta Apparently the Defender assembly line and anything to do with it has been scrapped, JLR wanted to make sure the Defender would not re emerge.

Possibly but I thought there was an obligation to provide spares for 10 years following end of production. At the very least until the end of warranty - but like I say can you imagine any manufacturer preventing spares being available - all of a sudden cars would become un-maintainable and people would be having to swap there cars on a far more frequent basis. This applies to all sorts of things not just cars.
Post #765928 29th Mar 2019 1:26pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Still happy that a collegue and I visited the production line back in Dec 2015 as part of the Heritage tour. In my signature below is a movie about the production process, and funny that during our visit I recognised several of the workers in the movie. If I compare the Solihull Defender assembly line with the Volvo Gent, Belgium plant which is my only benchmark, the Solihull building and assembly process indeed was absolute industrial archaeology.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #765930 29th Mar 2019 1:37pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Caterham wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
leeds wrote:

Brendan

@Procta Apparently the Defender assembly line and anything to do with it has been scrapped, JLR wanted to make sure the Defender would not re emerge.

Possibly but I thought there was an obligation to provide spares for 10 years following end of production. At the very least until the end of warranty - but like I say can you imagine any manufacturer preventing spares being available - all of a sudden cars would become un-maintainable and people would be having to swap there cars on a far more frequent basis. This applies to all sorts of things not just cars.

I would have thought it’s just the track and associated equipment which has been stripped out. Parts would be produced by satellite companies and brought in on a JIT system. I’m sure we won’t have to worry about spare parts for many years especially given the amount of aftermarket companies e.g. Ashcroft and others supplying Defender parts.
Post #765931 29th Mar 2019 1:45pm
AndrewS

Caterham wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
leeds wrote:

Brendan

Assembly line and spares supply are two different entities. Thumbs Up Parts for the Defender assembly ie body, drive train etc etc were all brought into the factory from suppliers.
I think is 15 years for a manufacturer to supply spare parts. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #765932 29th Mar 2019 1:48pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
so presumably if spares are available production could potentially restart at anytime - it's not like assembling a defender is anything hi-tec that couldn't be instigated in anyone's back yard.....well ok not mine it's a bit too small you get the idea. Mr. Green
Post #765934 29th Mar 2019 1:56pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:
so presumably if spares are available production could potentially restart at anytime - it's not like assembling a defender is anything hi-tec that couldn't be instigated in anyone's back yard

A few years ago I read an article where someone estimated how much it would cost to assemble and build a Defender 90 300TDi from genuine parts/spares and from what I can recall the final bill came to one hundred and sixty thousand pounds.

Due to silly prices LR charge an example is a hand brake expander genuine part (its about the size of a matchbox) cost £480.00. Aftermarket/Britpart price £25.00 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #765938 29th Mar 2019 2:08pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Any factory where there once was industry and now lays empty is a sad place.

Many years ago we were on the Trent and Mersey Canal somewhere around Stoke. The canal passed through the corner of what I think was a steel rolling mill (if I recall correctly). The first time it was alive with people, cranes, noise, pyrotechnics!, the second time it had shut and it was very quiet and empty. I went through the same area about five years ago and I couldn't even remember where the building was.

Interesting fact Procta about scraping the tooling. That was what the American's did after they built the Blackbird SR71

It must work. I've never heard of anyone making another Laughing
Post #765940 29th Mar 2019 2:23pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
i cannot see the full works been scrapped, so the defender wont come back, but I can see some of the robots and jigs been relocated, or reprogramed or even sold on.
Where i work, we are still making parts for cars that are well out of production, the mk3 micra for example. Even though its not an everyday i will make the back door finisher, but it could be once in 6 months we run the tool, and make 100.
Land rover will order in batchs of parts in to stock up their dealers, some stuff though we may not get hold of anymore, but that will be the daft little things, But then again with the defender having that big of a backing, i can see that part suppliers will still be in contact with the part suppiers that made the parts. SO i recon we could make a defender up from scratch for years. Looking at how they are built, If its like the disco etc, then yeah i can see those been a problem. No replacement shells, only a few body panels. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #765951 29th Mar 2019 3:32pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:
Any factory where there once was industry and now lays empty is a sad place.

Many years ago we were on the Trent and Mersey Canal somewhere around Stoke. The canal passed through the corner of what I think was a steel rolling mill (if I recall correctly). The first time it was alive with people, cranes, noise, pyrotechnics!, the second time it had shut and it was very quiet and empty. I went through the same area about five years ago and I couldn't even remember where the building was.

Interesting fact Procta about scraping the tooling. That was what the American's did after they built the Blackbird SR71

It must work. I've never heard of anyone making another Laughing

I can see them binning off the robot stuff, which helped assemble the defender, but as for the tooling part side, strong possiblity that its a 3rd party company that has those, and if you were a suppler of those parts, would you bin off the tooling? due to the demand? I wouldnt. But its a bit of an odd ball one. maybe the "geniune" land rover labelled stuff may vanish and the quality will go crap. ( suppliers will change the gear they use to due to lack of £££ from main dealer) We have changed material on service parts. use cheaper stuff, to keep the cost down, with the part not been in proper production. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #765952 29th Mar 2019 3:40pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Caterham wrote:
so presumably if spares are available production could potentially restart at anytime - it's not like assembling a defender is anything hi-tec that couldn't be instigated in anyone's back yard.....well ok not mine it's a bit too small you get the idea. Mr. Green

yeah look at the MGB and mini, you can get replacement shells, in fact you can build a brand new MGB!
But it depends if land rover will let anyone do that, IE some of the companies that bling them up such as twisted etc. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #765955 29th Mar 2019 3:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>