↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma hesitation when hot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The map should take care of the warning light. If your EGR has been turned off, fitting a blanking plate should make absolutely no difference unless the EGR is leaking, and it certainly won't make the light come on if the EGR is disabled.
Post #689624 28th Feb 2018 4:13pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Curtis-Bay

For some reason I was under the impression you had an “EGR-off” map already? If not, then fitting the plate will cause an engine management light I’m afraid.

If you DO have it mapped out, then no worries at all, the light is already taken care of by the map. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #689641 28th Feb 2018 4:48pm
Curtis-Bay

United Kingdom 
This post has been a long time in the making but at long last I think I can report an improvement in my Defenders performance.

The hesitation when accelerating and when under load was getting progressively worse, albeit slowly. I had done all the usual diagnostic stuff to no avail. There were no error codes showing and things like the turbo and inter cooler hoses were fine. I had changed the VCV and had re-learns done etc. I was stumped and was beginning to think that the engine re-map which I had had done was no good.

When the problems began I checked the MAF and MAP sensors for dirt and oil but they both appeared clean. I recently checked them again and found that the wires and resistors in the MAF sensor were no longer clean and shiny but a little dull. I gave the whole MAF sensor a thorough but gentle clean using a fast drying body shop degreaser (all that I had to hand) and I am delighted to say that the engine is unrecognisable. It now pulls strongly through all the gears and through all rev ranges. It feels generally more powerful than before and it is quieter.

So what was the source of the problem?......When I had the engine mapping done I also had a K&N filter installed and I can only think that the oil from this has contaminated the MAF. It would have been clean and virtually invisible the first time I checked the MAF (shortly after the problems developed - which was immediately after the installation of the new map and filter) This is why I did not clean it at first. However, gradually it has become more contaminated over time and this could be clearly seen as a grey dirty film.

I have also run some injector cleaner through the engine which may or may not have contributed to the improvement but the cleaning of the MAF has transformed the performance.

I hope this is of help to others and it seems wise to heed the warnings about oiled filters and MAF contamination. I still have the K & N fitted but will get round to fitting a paper filer again at some point.

I just hope this performance continues to be unimpaired but I can clean the MAF in about 2 minutes so no big worries there.
Post #716111 4th Jul 2018 4:38pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
This is, unfortunately, a reasonably well known problem. Similarly, it can also happen with ITG filters. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #716133 4th Jul 2018 6:52pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I considered the oiled filters at one time but quickly shelved the idea for this very reason.
Even with paper filters it can get contaminated but less so than the issues with oiled filters.

From now on I intend to periodically once a year give them both a quick clean. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #716137 4th Jul 2018 7:06pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I used to run a K&N in my mini, but realistically I found them a bit pointless. Yes you can clean them and re-oil them periodically and they'll last the life of the car, but the cleaning and oiling is time consuming and doesn't cost far off just replacing a paper filter. Then of course they draw oil into inlet tract and I'm not sure they give any noticeable performance.
Post #716146 4th Jul 2018 7:53pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Pete Bell did some rolling road tests some time ago and proved that neither K&N or ITG filters give any performance advantage. In fact, I think they were worse than the standard one. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #716157 4th Jul 2018 8:31pm
big green machine

I'm going to give the maf a scrub next time, just oiled /copper gresed the acurator arm. the simtoms are exactly the same as me, I'm thinking the oil is probably from the crank breather tho, a cobbled bottle trap might be a winters morning project, but when i get greasy the whole day seems to disappear findings things to tinker with.
Post #725091 23rd Aug 2018 7:55pm
Silver Back

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
Quote:
but when i get greasy the whole day seems to disappear findings things to tinker with.

A man after my own heart Laughing
Post #725094 23rd Aug 2018 8:01pm
big green machine

this is a place of woe for me, i only come here when I've got a gremlin to catch. so now its time to give back, my hesitation on a hill and under hard exceleration was due to a cloged fuel filter, also i found a hostile algal/fungal/bactira life form in the fuel pick up container, Censored about i learnt.. do not use 'all make filters' the internal measurements are different, seal is longer, and solidified glue all around the inside restricts use.. full stop, literall. the fuel return escape is smaller than a Censored hole in the tank, and there is a 3 micron extractable/cleanable filter in the centre of the filter body [component on shassi]. so now I'm toying with thought o getting rid of my standard bone shaking heavy duty suspension, thanks and special hat of to lorry man.
Post #728319 10th Sep 2018 6:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
My 90 had odd behaviour today.

Turbo noise when leaving not long after leaving the drive, sort of turbo / air induction noise.
About a mile away it then started to rev on each up change of gear, not one down change or cruising in gear.
If pulling off from a halt there would be the rev like a rev hang and then a hesitation on power, especially one intolerance 2nd gear.
Cruising and down changes / idle seemed fine.

It kept it up for about four miles to my destination, shut down went into shop to get what I wanted and then coming out after re-starting it was gone.
Went to another destination, shut down and then re-started and it was fine.

Servicing was done not long ago, and a couple of months ago MAP and MAF I cleaned and all has been good.
New filter with service etc.

I'm wondering if one is playing up, or turbo actuator sticking. If the latter where is it to lube it?

The MAP and MAF are original, but have been kept clean.
Due to age they may be on the way out, I suspect MAF or nuisance codes.

Haven't plugged in to check codes just yet, but will do.

Any ideas? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #728331 10th Sep 2018 6:51pm
Curtis-Bay

United Kingdom 
OK, so it has been a while since I posted because I wanted to be sure I cured my hesitation when under load or accelerating. I am pleased to say that after several months and few 1000 miles my hesitation is gone! The best news is it took 10 minutes to cure and cost about £7.00.

The culprit turned out to be the rubber seal between the inlet manifold and the housing for the MAP sensor. When the engine was running at low boost it sealed perfectly but under high boost it would leak and cause the MAP sensor to give erratic feedback - especially under hard acceleration.

A new seal was easy to fit and since installing it I have had no problems. At long last I can enjoy the extra power from my remap and inter cooler upgrade etc. If you are having a remap and it includes uprated boost it maybe worth changing this silly seal as a matter of course.

Thanks for all your input. I hope this has been helpful to others.
Post #750342 10th Jan 2019 4:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123