↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Climate change and "Right to repair"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Climate change and "Right to repair"
Admittedly this article is geared more towards domestic appliances, but I'm sure anyone who's attempted to repair a "modern" car lately can relate, having said that, haven't us Landy owners been doing this for years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46797396
Post #750131 9th Jan 2019 11:14am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
'Right to repair'... Shocked

'Right what's next'... Exclamation SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #750134 9th Jan 2019 11:38am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
'Right to Repair' I think we should have a referendum on this Laughing For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #750140 9th Jan 2019 12:35pm
dorsetsmith

MORE EU BULL S*** Hoo i wonder is responsal for test spec for white goods Censored so tumble dryers on fire need i say more

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 10th Jan 2019 9:14am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #750168 9th Jan 2019 3:09pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Totally agree with both points

I remember there was a repair shop on high street growing up that sold parts for white goods. I remember my uncle repairing my grandmothers washing machine several times over its 20 year life span.

Obviously this doesn’t happen anymore as parts are typically bespoke, and that’s what ISO, BS, BBA and ENs are for, standardisation or parts and protocols, but this affects efficiency of the completed units.

Just about the only household good I could repair these days are Henry hoovers, we’ve had ours for well over 20 years.

The obvious downside is that incompetent repairs can be worse than a broken device.

I know quite a couple of people who are walking round with microwave & particle radiation burns (and suffered from radiation poisoning) because of inadequate service overhaul of equipment. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #750175 9th Jan 2019 3:44pm
OsloBlue

two of my best friends recently got Audi A3s as company cars

One had water in ECU screwed the whole engine up, then once repaired had to jump start my other mate who is the other a3 owner and blew fuses and put both cars in limp mode.

Other a3 owner kept cracking intercoolers and leaking all sorts of fluids over his drive. That’s in addition to battery draining somewhere somehow...

Any work that’s not carried out at dealer voids warranty, voiding warranty can lead to it being an repoed if under finance or lease. 3 day wait at main dealer... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #750178 9th Jan 2019 3:52pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hmm. I seem to remember not long ago the government introduced a scrappage scheme for cars as an incentive for buying EV's as they claim EV's are more environmentally friendly than constantly repairing your old banger and keep it going. Though not that environmentally friendly when you have to scrap the old batteries in seven years time! I cannot keep my old horse box on the road with a Euro 4 engine and if I change it for a Euro 5 engined truck then I'm still stung for emission zone charges - the government encourage me to buy an all singing, all dancing Euro 6 engine. I'm confused - I thought they wanted me to repair and not replace. Let's have some joined up thinking Mr Government.

The government also encourage consumers to change their white goods for newer more energy efficient models. It's OK repairing items but over the last 50 years we have been indoctrinated as consumers into a throw away society. We decided a couple of months ago to replace our six year old washing machine - so why didn't we repair it. We could have replaced the pcb and got it working, but the door seal was on its way out, the internal pipework was gunged up and the selector knob graphics had worn off. Plus the fact the government want me to replace my machine which was energy rated E to a new one rated at A+.

I'm as confused with the governments thinking on this as I am with Brexit. (Sorry to mention the B word) Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #750183 9th Jan 2019 4:20pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
The scrappage scheme was introduced to prop up the motor industry after the banks collapsed the economy.

IIRC there was a different grant towards the cost of EV's.
Post #750189 9th Jan 2019 5:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That scheme was biased. Why was Citroen etc and those EU brands paid out to benefit them via this country. When Ford the owner of JLR at the time was seeking support the govt then told them to get stuffed. Now it’s Tata India owned the Defender we all loved is shoved out the window. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #750210 9th Jan 2019 7:52pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
OsloBlue wrote:
Totally agree with both points

I remember there was a repair shop on high street growing up that sold parts for white goods. I remember my uncle repairing my grandmothers washing machine several times over its 20 year life span.

Obviously this doesn’t happen anymore as parts are typically bespoke, and that’s what ISO, BS, BBA and ENs are for, standardisation or parts and protocols, but this affects efficiency of the completed units.

Just about the only household good I could repair these days are Henry hoovers, we’ve had ours for well over 20 years.

The obvious downside is that incompetent repairs can be worse than a broken device.

I know quite a couple of people who are walking round with microwave & particle radiation burns (and suffered from radiation poisoning) because of inadequate service overhaul of equipment.

we need to go back to those days, I remember my granddad getting his TV fixed. Lost trade that sadly, I used to repair the odd computers for friends, even that's on the phase out, everything just seems built to be chucked with in a year or two Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #750232 9th Jan 2019 9:00pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
+1 above I remember my nan having her (then) ancient TV repaired in the late 80's / early 90's.

I seem to remember computer repair work phasing out in the early noughties! I was working in IT then and hoped to start my own business (youthful enthusiasm!) in repairs/custom build computers but realised it was a fast dieing trade.

The throwaway society needs to stop, but the government seem to encourage it with stupid things such as scrappage schemes!
Likewise with importing so many things from food to electronic goods and cars - that cannot be "green" or sustainable. Unfortunately I don't think it will change.
Post #750274 10th Jan 2019 9:13am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
You can get parts easily on line for most white goods, in the last few years I’ve replaced the drive belt on our washing machine, the latch on out tumble dryer and the element in our oven. Is this something more than that? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #750283 10th Jan 2019 9:45am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Perhaps it's a generational thing but I had "make do and mend" drilled into me from a very early age. Many people have either lost, or never had, the the common sense manual skills to turn their hand to applying the phrase to their personal lives. Where there is a will, there is a way. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #750306 10th Jan 2019 1:40pm
OsloBlue

I don’t think it’s so much a generational thing,

I grew up in a JAM family where my dad had his mortgage paid off, so arguably below the poverty line. Never went on holiday, aside from maybe a day trip to a museum, cinema or maybe a trip down to Leigh on sea.

I’ve never broken something out of anger despite nearly doing it a few times, to me it’s just a waste of a perfectly good item.

Same goes for food, tend not to waste a scrap.

Hell I like my tech but I’ve had the same phone for 2 years, and will probably keep it for at least another 2. (Iphone6s+).

Mind you I never hoard. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Post #750317 10th Jan 2019 2:59pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think the issue is more pragmatic than that. I've never had a problem getting parts to repair white goods but after a certain point it just becomes uneconomic. For example, replacing a compressor on a fridge might cost nearly as much as buying a new one but the latter will be a lot more efficient, delivered to your door and likely include disposing of the old one. That won't always be the case but these things are all a lot less complicated than cars and have very little second hand value, so they become uneconomic to repair much easier.

Electronics are a different proposition entirely. Whilst it's already quite easy to get something like a broken phone screen repaired, the rest of it is essentially solid state. To turn one of those into a design that could be maintained would involve a complete redesign and end up with something bigger, heavier and probably inherently more unreliable. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #750320 10th Jan 2019 3:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>