↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 252 of 265 <123 ... 251252253 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Have you ever thought that if he is telling the sane story(s) that he may be just lonley or hs something else on his mind that he just can not coime out and say.

A few years ago I worked in and office and we had a guy that did the same sort of thing and we did the same as you, one day I could not get away and had to nod or grunt in reply. After about 20 minutes of this I got up to go outside for a break and he followed once outside he asked me for a smoke which was a shock as I knbw he didn't, the conversation that follwed shook me, he had been sitting on the top of a bridge all night hoping that he mght go asleep and fall off the bridge. He had been feeling this way for months but couldn't tell anyone. This happened before it was okay for a man to admit he needed help. I did manage to get him help.

I am not say that this is of could be your co workers problem but just be aware. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #745657 14th Dec 2018 11:26am
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
Bow down

Never hurts to ask someone if they're ok Thumbs Up https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #745664 14th Dec 2018 12:18pm
Slideywindows

England 
I couldn't agree more.

A long time ago I was in a situation where it would have really helped if someone, especially a friend, had rung and asked if I was OK - and not just taken yes for an answer.

Men are very poor at expressing their feelings, and other men don't want to know.

Since that time, if I have the slightest suspicion that something may be wrong with a male friend, I don't take his first answer, and I don't walk away too quickly.

Sometimes, if you keep asking, the truth comes out, and talking about it to someone who will listen really does help.

One day it may be you who needs that listening friend......
Post #745737 14th Dec 2018 9:28pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Well said Slidey. I have a close male relative who goes through the most horrible mental problems. It’s sometimes difficult to tell if all is ok or not but gentle persistence and talking usually gets the problems out in the open. Sometimes they just want to talk or have a rant about things, just listening without being judgmental can help enormously.
Post #745739 14th Dec 2018 9:43pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
F*CK*ING TFL DOES IT AGAIN
Out on the drink last night, First time in a year. I did a whole year no drinking from being a heavy drinker.

Anyway, left the work do relatively early at 22:30, last train from Liverpool street at 01:00 which is affectionately known as the "vomit comet".

Get to the tube station, Jesus its not even that rammed at rush hour, me and two of my colleagues barely manage to get on.

they're running every 12 miniutes as opposed to every 3... This time of year on a friday...

Someone tries to force their way on and a scuffle breaks out, not unusual, probably see this once a week. But last night i saw it happen four times.

Anyway, we're so rammed we made some new friends, got chatting, nice enough.

So i get to liverpool street, take a seat...

Alls well, trying to stay awake, there are 9 pubs/bars on the way from the station that i'm going to crawl home with my mate.

Anyway just before we're pulling into manor park, some lady comes down ill, - she vomits, collapses and passes out...

She's not with anyone, but a good 10 or so people help her... pull into manor park...

Someone holds the doors open, one runs to the tractor unit, another to the station control room...

Nothing for two minutes, people are waving at the cameras, then the driver gets all Censored (usually TFL rail drivers are top notch, keep passengers informed and message people to have a nice day) "passengers Listen up, i'm going to tell you this once: GET. OFF. THE. DOORS." Under usual circumstances i tend to agree with his motives to get Censored .

Another two minutes and a station guard comes up in a foreign accent of some sort. "EH WHY ARE YOU KEEPING THE DOORS OPEN. YOU CANNOT BE DOING THIS".

He then sees this poor collapsed woman, and just stands there, he doesn't go for help, radio in or anything he just stand there the passengers doing his job for him.

She comes back around and a nurse asks how much she had to drink... Two drinks... don't judge she might be ill, food poisoning or have been spiked. Having been spiked three times before i understand how that feels...

15 Minutes before she got off the bloody train, not that i'm angry that i'm late. I'm angry because of Censored poor staff AND THEY WANT TO UP FARES IN JAN in addition to ULEZ.

On the bright side a bit of faith in humanity is restored through people helping her... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #745795 15th Dec 2018 11:16am
custom90

United Kingdom 
What is it with companies this Christmas with no stock or low stock all the time...

You'd think various places would want the sales not turn it away! Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #746236 18th Dec 2018 12:13am
AJC

United Kingdom 
ARC99 wrote:
Have you ever thought that if he is telling the sane story(s) that he may be just lonley or hs something else on his mind that he just can not coime out and say.

A few years ago I worked in and office and we had a guy that did the same sort of thing and we did the same as you, one day I could not get away and had to nod or grunt in reply. After about 20 minutes of this I got up to go outside for a break and he followed once outside he asked me for a smoke which was a shock as I knbw he didn't, the conversation that follwed shook me, he had been sitting on the top of a bridge all night hoping that he mght go asleep and fall off the bridge. He had been feeling this way for months but couldn't tell anyone. This happened before it was okay for a man to admit he needed help. I did manage to get him help.

I am not say that this is of could be your co workers problem but just be aware.

I he what you're saying, however he's been here longer than me and he's been like this since before me. Just likes stories
Post #746388 19th Dec 2018 10:33am
leeds

United Kingdom 
How stupid can people be with their postings on facebook.

On local page some idiots are openly admitting they are thieves. Taking grit out of public grit bins there to grit the public highway to go and grit their garden path and private drives.

Another idiot admits to speeding on the motorway, passing a motorbike which was doing 70+mph.

Hope their employer/prospective employer never take a look at their social postings.

Then there are the people who broad cast on social media that they are going on holiday etc. Oooops the scumbags obviously do not look on social media!

Brendan
Post #746682 20th Dec 2018 11:44pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Quote:
How stupid can people be with their postings on facebook.

Isn't the whole point of facebook to allow the stupid their time in the limelight?

I'm not insinuating you're stupid Leeds Mr. Green
Post #746685 20th Dec 2018 11:53pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
At least they've now let the CB users in peace. 
Post #746691 21st Dec 2018 1:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Badger110 wrote:

I'm not insinuating you're stupid Leeds Mr. Green

Well ,you may well be correct MrBadger, who am I to argue you with you? Razz

There again I thought it was a good idea to set up a company involved in the 4x4 world, so questioning my sanity and intelligence would be perfectly reasonable in this case! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Brendan
Post #746731 21st Dec 2018 12:48pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
So for a few hundred years we have been able to secure the english channel until this Christmas when apparently all you need is a rubber boat......... Whistle 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #748051 30th Dec 2018 3:50pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
^ the other week they had to drop some SAS boat troop blokes onto a bulk ship because it had been hijacked and nobody noticed that their national flag was upside down.

Do we still have a "blue water navy"? We don't even station any vessels in the channel/ north sea which is one of the worlds busiest shipping lanes, and has three of the top five ports in the UK... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #748126 30th Dec 2018 10:09pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
This lot would sort out the current infiltration: Whistle

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #748250 31st Dec 2018 2:40pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Stupid boy! Rolling with laughter
Post #748251 31st Dec 2018 2:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 252 of 265 <123 ... 251252253 ... 263264265>