↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 265 123 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Grumpy Old Man Thread
Last week – don’t you just hate it when you get up really early, still dark, to go to work. You jump in the 90, seat belt on, engine on, turn lights on ........bast**ds. A lazy bin man has left the bins blocking your drive.

Audi’s are the new BMW! [sorry to all sensible Audi and BMW owners] Is it me or have you noticed that when cruising on the 2 lane motorway at a steady 70, you pull out to pass a truck and out of nowhere an Audi is suddenly trying to hook on to your tow bar and even when you are still passing the 40’ artic they start flashing you. Impatient s*ds.

People walking and wandering along a busy pavement reading text/emails and with no concern about anyone else, typically veering in front of you and if you say something it’s apparently your fault. In London anyway! Stupid selfish gits.

I could go on ............. Evil or Very Mad BM52
Post #59753 17th Feb 2011 11:03pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Sympathies abound!!

But you wanna try going to work on a unicycle or skateboard! Bl00dy nightmare!!! Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #59786 18th Feb 2011 8:40am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
My current pet hates from last time in the UK is:

People who drive down the middle lane of the motorway even though the inside lane is empty.

People who see a defender and either A. Pull out of junctions right in front of you (Because Land Rovers have a top speed of 30mph) or B. People who don't pull over on the motorway... for the same reason- they don't think you want to go by (even though my winch is pushing on their rear numberplate.

That feels better Mr. Green

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #59791 18th Feb 2011 8:56am
leeds

United Kingdom 
This is a thread made in heaven for me! Bow down Rolling with laughter

Used to drive a Transit and if people flashed me as I was overtaking a HGV, the solution was simple, matched the HGV speed + 0.1mph Rolling with laughter

If they do it when driving a Land Rover it is amazing what either work lights on the back of a vehicle can do. Or just let them overtake and get on their rear end with LightForce Lights on Whistle Whistle

If a vehicle is behind me with blue flashing lights I always seem to give them the right of way straight away. Don't really know why!

Brendan
Post #59797 18th Feb 2011 9:21am
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I resisted buying a BM for ages because of the shocking image but am finding that the worst drivers are:

1) Audi and VW drivers with 2.0TDI engines - they think they are in supercars. They aren't.
2) MPV drivers - in fact I got road raged on Monday when cycling by a bloke in an old Zafira.
3) VW Transporter drivers. Yes they are nippy for a van but not compared to almost any car.

I go out of my way to try and dispel the image in my BM and I'm sorry to say it but it's simply good fun to drive! Drove to the surf in it this morning, had a cracking session then blasted back - a hoot that had me grinning ear to ear!

We're not all bad! (oh and I've been an IAM member for 12 years and done an intensive cop course too so hopefully can drive. Sort of). Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #59810 18th Feb 2011 10:31am
alantd

I used to let people out in front of me all the time when I drove the M5. The look of complete surprise on their face never stopped amusing me.

Idiots making a mad dash for it to pull out and get in front of the Defender lest they get stuck behind a "tractor" or tucking into the sensible gap that I've left between me and the car in font do wind me up. I've come seriously close to gently coasting into them (honestly - I've had to seriously check myself at the last minute some times). One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #59833 18th Feb 2011 12:14pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Alan totally with you there Leave braking room on any of our roads and some XXXX will take it its madness. Banging Head

Best stress relief is parking the Lambo / F430 in a disabled space watch the Traffic warden start to pounce put the Blue Badge on the dashboard open the passenger door for my Blind wife and Quanie (the Guide Dog) to emerge Rolling with laughter its priceless because your not allowed to have a nice car if you have a blue badge you know.

Last edited by ken on 18th Feb 2011 12:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #59835 18th Feb 2011 12:22pm
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: Grumpy Old Man Thread
bm52 wrote:
Last week – don’t you just hate it when you get up really early, still dark, to go to work. You jump in the 90, seat belt on, engine on, turn lights on ........bast**ds. A lazy bin man has left the bins blocking your drive.

I always get this when I come home... the bin man has left them sat square in the middle of the drive, gotta get down to move them. Eejit.
Post #59837 18th Feb 2011 12:25pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

...and people that tailgate you in a Defender.

If/when they crash into the back of you, they'll write off their car. The Defender might, at worst, have a slight scratch. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #59839 18th Feb 2011 12:27pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Slightly off topic - but hope people will empathise....

Pulled up to the Headington roundabout on outskirts of Oxford this morning behind a Skoda Yeti..... Shocked Shocked

Had this sudden urge to nudge the fecker into the path of the oncoming traffic..... Twisted Evil

What's most worrying is that the poor soul in the Yeti had done absolutely nothing wrong. It was just the name.... the red mist decended Embarassed

Sure it's a very capable decent motor but.........

Pills.... where are they ...... Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #59857 18th Feb 2011 1:56pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We live in a rural area and to get into 'town' there is a C road with fields either side.

The other day some moron had dumped a twin sink unit on the verge. 50 metres further on presumably same moron had thrown a large TV across the wall and some bags of rubbish.

This was done between 10.00 and 15.00 hrs. Nearest council dump? About half a mile away. Next nearest across the boundary? About 3 miles away.

Then there are the idiots who don't understand that uphill traffic has the right of way.

Brendan
Post #59867 18th Feb 2011 2:52pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Last year I left the house on a Saturday about 9am on my way to sell my old 110 Td5 DC, less than 3 miles from the house starting to cross my third roundabout of the trip this woman in a corsa pulls out in front of me on the roundabout. There was the usual bit of horn action and I then actually ended up following her for most of the trip thinking that was then ended of that stupid bitch, who also lacks the ability to indicate.

Then the next day the phone rings, it was the police! She'd only bloody reported me for dangerous driving Evil or Very Mad But wait it gets better.
She called the police and said that I she saw me entering the roundabout and that the other lane was clear so I could move out of her way!! The phone call ended with me pointing out that she's just reported me to the police for her driving with out due care and attention and cutting me up on a roundabout Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #59887 18th Feb 2011 5:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
leeds wrote:

Then there are the idiots who don't understand that uphill traffic has the right of way.

Brendan

Also the rural back road rule of the smaller car is the one who moves over.

I remember once when in the Lakes I turned a corner onto a narrow bridge where there was a car who also just pulled on it from the oposite direction..... the cheeky little sh*t in a chav'd up corsa indicated that it should be me who reverses back and let him by... after a 30 second stand off I selected 1st and crept forward- I think he then got the hint that my winch bumper would really spoil his bonnet and then reversed Rolling Eyes These young squirts need to learn.

Glyn Dog Sheep

Last edited by Glynparry25 on 18th Feb 2011 5:45pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #59890 18th Feb 2011 5:37pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter
Post #59892 18th Feb 2011 5:40pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
at last a place to vent!

well i'm not old! (38 Laughing ) but classed as grumpy by the children.

Yes any audi with LED comes under the toss pot banner. infact BM's have seem to have mellowed although the indictors still don't work, but at least we all know that.

As for pulling out on my 90 i don't care anymore! i usually overtake them due to superior field of vision then tend to ease off to make sure i adhere to any speed limits.
Post #59894 18th Feb 2011 5:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 265 123 ... 263264265>