↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > The definitive Defender ICE thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 64 of 69 <123 ... 636465 ... 676869>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, you should upgrade the wiring if you're going for wattage higher than the standard fit. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 30th Jul 2018 7:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #720527 30th Jul 2018 7:05pm
Hall46

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Is it a big job? Pulling the whole interior out any way and I guess in standard defender form it is not too hidden?
Post #720530 30th Jul 2018 7:07pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Not really, just leave th original loom in situ.

I would not try and follow the original as you won't be able to thread it all though and there is not the room.
The front speakers are easy but to the rear I would go under matting or upwards.

Use existing fixings to secure or quality adhesive cable fasteners. You should be able to hide 90% of it.
The factory speaker wiring is pretty thin!

I will be going 12ga on mine, but you might find that overkill!
16 to 14ga suits most standard systems.

I'm talking AWG here as well not mm2 but there are online conversion tools should you need them.

Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #720533 30th Jul 2018 7:18pm
Hall46

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Ok thanks for the help!

Yeah I have made the mistake at work before of using wire gauge instead of sheet metal gauge Whistle but google always helps Bow down
Post #720535 30th Jul 2018 7:27pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Id normally agree with Steve, however if your going the focal Ibus route I wouldn't bother. The 2.1 will only amp 2 speakers ( so do the fronts) the standard Ibus is just a sub. Technology has moved on and the standard wires are more than capable UNLESS your going for big power and many Amps Whistle . In my works defender I run the Focal Ibus 2.1 with there K2 power amped off the Ibus. I even use there integrated wire as opposed to RCAs and its more than enough. The standard power loom supplied is more than enough. Ngis has fitted the supplied loom and utilized the standard wires which is perfectly adequate for that set up Thumbs Up
Post #720538 30th Jul 2018 7:39pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Jim - It kind of depends on wants and needs. Personally I don't need and excuse to upgrade but in my case will be going high power.
So it's sort of a decision to make really, upgrade can't hurt but as you say isn't a absolute need.
Only if it was me I would.

Did you get my 'PM' btw regarding RCA's? Was a long time ago, I'm not sure you got it? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #720544 30th Jul 2018 7:51pm
barbel jim

I did Steve been a tad busy and not been on here for a while Rolling Eyes The 2.2 is long gone and replaced by another TD5 Mr. Green Still got the green one with the buttery biscuit bass Whistle although the wife still wont let me have it back Big Cry
Post #720545 30th Jul 2018 7:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, must have been quite a few months. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #720548 30th Jul 2018 8:00pm
ngins

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
@Hall46, All,

I used the standard loom that came with the ibus for the fronts spliced into the last bit of original LR loom for the last 2ft or so - but I will likely put in some heavier gauge speaker wire at some point. Now I know what I am doing it will be much quicker and I will likely combine the wiring upgrade with some sound proofing and also some other jobs moving backwards like wiring for dash cam, additional interior lighting etc. I’ll also think about putting 130s in the front instead of 100s. Will send some additional photos on the original install when I get a chance.

Again for me it’s all a balance for what you personally want. For me the sub and the 130s in the rear made the biggest difference. Until I do sound proofing and other bits I am happy. I know the sub in locker is compromised (all the stuff jumping about in the cubby will attest to that) but it works for me for now! I have an endless list of other things to do so it’s all competing.

All can say is that there is so much useful information in this thread and also others like it on this forums, which is a real help - especially if you favour a particular bit of kit I am sure you will find what you are looking for!
Post #720551 30th Jul 2018 8:06pm
barbel jim

!30s in the front do fit even without spacer rings Thumbs Up If you scroll back a few pages you'll see I did it in my 2.2. There is a heater duct passenger side, which just requires a heat gun and a gentle push to allow the speaker to fit. Amped off the Ibus they are great. Just PM me if you have any questions and Photos. I didn't bother rewiring the speakers too much faff with no gain .... personal preference
Post #720701 31st Jul 2018 3:05pm
ngins

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Thanks Jim - I have seen your thread - at the time I went for the 100s as I thought I had more than enough on - but 130s are on the 'to do' list - primarily because you showed it could be done! I think the crossover on the 130s is (bizarrely) smaller than on the 100s as well - the crossover on the 100s is certainly well engineered but its HUGE! I will get to it in time - for the moment I am distracted but some other "must do" jobs.....as there always are.....

Last edited by ngins on 3rd Oct 2018 2:01am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #720817 1st Aug 2018 8:35am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Bigger is better, or if that's not an option add some more somewhere for increased cone area.
More air pushed, better sound quality..

Got another little stage closer with my own set up today, soon have some free time to really get going with it. Twisted Evil Mr. Green Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #721239 3rd Aug 2018 2:35pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Has anyone here ever used a alpine
X802D-U or INEW710D single din 7/8 inch screen dash in a TD5 type (late) dash? I already have a Clarion NZ502E and it does everything i need but the motor is clunky, noisy and is quite painful to actually use.

Also curious as to acquiring new speakers, colleagues keep claiming the audio quality is *hite but being tone deaf it doesn't matter to me all that much as i can only hear the background music to professor greens hard night out.

What size speakers are in a TD5? are they simply plug and play? or do i have to solder them in? I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #732568 2nd Oct 2018 7:01pm
barbel jim

They are 4" or 100mm and plug and play. The addition of speakers with a separate tweeter mounted on top of the dash is the biggest noticeable improvement.
Post #732655 3rd Oct 2018 8:01am
CarMan

United Kingdom 
DSC-off wrote:
Fitting the Landrover version of the Alpine sub is not straightforward. There is a wiring loom needed that doesn't come with the sub and is not generally available from a dealer.

It will be less bother to fit the aftermarket Alpine sub, amp and controller, mounting the extra bits in the cubby box.

My MY16 has a socket under the cubby, does that mean the loom is in, but then sub etc all needs connecting to that socket Question

Very keen on the OEM look, unable to diy and not keen to get involved in a big professional install job Rolling Eyes Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #744522 7th Dec 2018 5:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 64 of 69 <123 ... 636465 ... 676869>