↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Pioneer releasing the first single-DIN unit with Carplay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 11 123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Pioneer releasing the first single-DIN unit with Carplay
https://www.carplaylife.com/news/pioneer-a...-reciever/

May be of interest to a lot of people here who dont fancy going down the double din route.
Post #625583 20th May 2017 1:05pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Sweet Mr. Green Must admit though I think a double din unit will be more robust. The problem with these type of units is there are more bits to go wrong Whistle It'll also be interesting seeing the UKs pricepoint
Post #625592 20th May 2017 2:02pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Interesting. Something else to distract the driver while he or she is supposed to be concentrating on the main task of driving and not fiddling with technology. I have heard rumours that driver will be prohibited from operating such things as with mobile phones. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #625593 20th May 2017 2:17pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Can't see that happening. Have you seen the Tesla or new Velar? Pretty much whole car is operated via a touch screen. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #625597 20th May 2017 3:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ This.

However, interesting to see this new model.

The main annoying drawback is the hazard switch obstruction, which is very very annoying.
And you can have nearly all function direct from a phone or similar with many more basic HU's.
Only different is the visual side, but on the whole you cannot ever have visual performance in the move anyway.

I would say it's an alternative to 2 DIN, each has its own characteristics which will suit different people.

I'm running a basic JVC HU fir 49 from Halfords at the momenandit actually sounds better and is more powerful than my Kenwood was.
Probably because it's much much more modern.
I do miss the touch control on the move though, and the GUI, and if course BT in my case at the moment.

But I never have nor ever will use the phone on the move and very very very rarely ever used BY calling on the move either. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #625605 20th May 2017 4:10pm
Riverboy

The whole point of Apple Carplay and Android Auto is to take away the need to touch the screen. Its all or mostly, voice control. Its not yet perfect, but it is getting better with each software update. I've had it in my cars for near on two years and have never felt it was causing a distraction, certainly no more than talking to a passenger or listening to a standard car radio or using a standard satnav.

This new single din model is aimed at cars that cannot be converted to double din and to those who prefer single din for whatever reason. I prefer double din personally. Anyway it was just a heads up as I know there were people here looking for single din slide out models.
Post #625609 20th May 2017 4:54pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Yikes !!! I only want to listen to the Archers !

its a lot of internet based system that wil be a pain in Cornwall where we have poor phone and G4 signals. Ill stay with the FM and DAB to give me good reception all over the UK - I thought that it may be more driving based with a built in sat nav App, dash cam app and good hands free.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car...VH-3300NEX Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #625618 20th May 2017 5:25pm
Riverboy

Mine has a fantastic built in satnav, it all depends on the model. Plus Apple maps of course, which I find pretty good if I'm honest. The Archers are loud and clear in Provence btw via the TuneIn radio app Thumbs Up Laughing We have superb 3G/4G coverage here but no DAB.
Post #625619 20th May 2017 5:36pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
The iPhone 6 has a big enough screen to use as a satnav (stuck to the windscreen with a Ram mount) and Google or Apple maps are good enough apps for me too. Bluetooth connect the phone to the Alpine and it's hands free call answering (won't ring anybody on the move anyway).
I find the only shag is the trailing power lead for the phone to the USB socket on the Alpine unit which gets in the way of the gearstick. If you don't plug it in, the battery's killed in no time.
I too like the look of a double DIN but can't justify the expense/hassle (yet Twisted Evil ).
Post #626076 22nd May 2017 4:19pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Thank you for the link! This could be the answer to my problems!

Im not keen on the double din conversion due to the cost and the fact it is non-revisable (with a hole cut in the dash for relocating switches). Im also not so keen on the screen position, viewing satnav etc is a little bit low. I fitted a cheap, used single din fold out screen to test the theory and Im very happy with it, the screen position is great and it doesnt look so flash when parked up and folded away. The hazard switch thing is a drawback I concede, but they fold away so quickly at the touch of a button, its no hard ship. It hasnt caused me an issue yet, fingers crossed I havent needed the hazard switch!

I guess the deal maker / breaker here is going to be cost.

The new version of my Clarion (NZ502e) is around 500 which includes satnav, bluetooth (but sadly no DAB) - so it would need to be cheaper than that. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #626560 24th May 2017 9:52am
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi. I am going to look into this single din idea with the flip out front. I am looking at using a double din dashboard but with two single din units, one of which is going to be a two way radio. (Long story!!) Hence my interest in this thread. But, I would be keen to know how stable these type of displays are inside a defender with all the vibration etc. Has anyone got a flip out display that can advise if they are any good? I appreciate that it may depend on manufacturer etc. Just interested in other views
Thanks. Brian 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #631925 17th Jun 2017 11:10am
custom90

United Kingdom 
You'd have no problems with flip out.
I had one for 6 years trouble free. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #631933 17th Jun 2017 1:00pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thank you. Sounds promising. I will try and get my plans sorted. The display will sit higher as the two radio will be underneath. Just need pioneer to launch the product now! Rolling Eyes 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #631941 17th Jun 2017 3:43pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Yes I have a single din fold out and it's great,
No problem with vibration, in fact the cd never skips and in my old unit it did skip, so actually better! My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #631943 17th Jun 2017 4:03pm
Si

United Kingdom 
I am also waiting for the european/uk version of this unit. Heres hoping it gets released soon!
Post #637792 16th Jul 2017 12:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 11 123 ... 91011>