↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Dashboard light bulbs not working (TD5)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jens07800

Spain 
Dashboard light bulbs not working (TD5)
Hello, I have a rather strange issue, the light bulbs in the clock, the fuel tank indicator, engine temperature, and the bulbs in the speedo are not working (though the light is working on the KM indicator screen) - all other dashboard lights are working (see photo attached).
Post #1020406 7th Jan 2024 5:57pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Hi, out of interest do the right hand side lights work? They are protected by fuse 18 which also provides power to the instrument illumination.

You’ll need to check you have 12v at pin 4 of the grey connector that connects to the instruments, it’ll be the red and orange wire. When you put the side lights on you should receive 12v from fuse 18 to that grey plug, on the instrument side of the grey plug there is a header/splice that sends 12v to each of the bulbs in the instruments, there are two bulbs for the speedo and one for the smaller gauges. The odometer LCD illumination is not via a replaceable bulb and is powered independently of the gauge bulbs. If you have 12v at the grey plug then you need to check that the earth is OK, the instrument bulbs are earthed on a black wire at terminal 2 of the grey plug. Note there are 2 earths on the grey plug.

As always - check fuse first then take the instrument binnacle out to check the plugs.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1020459 7th Jan 2024 9:50pm
Jens07800

Spain 

Click image to enlarge

Hi Smile

I've changed two to the fuses, they were fried. The light in the instrument display is working again BUT another strange issue has occurred.

The right hand side indicator lights, all three of them, only on the right hand side (it's a left hand side drive) are ON all of the time. They do flash as well when using the indicator but these right hand side indicator light are ON constantly.

Just in case I'm adding two photos, one shows the indicator light on all the time, the other shows the dashboard with the green indicator light on solid/not flashing when the position lights are ON.

What might be the issue? Note, I've replaced all lights with LED but all of them have worked perfectly until now.

Thanks a million Smile
Post #1024627 13th Feb 2024 6:07pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Very unusual…looking at the wiring diagram power to the right hand indicators comes either from the alarm ECU, the indicator switch or hazard switch to a blue header behind the radio. Looking at the connections in the header if the power is not coming from the indicator switch (it can’t be ruled out, check the output from the switch to see whether the internals are melted and making contact) it could be coming from a faulty hazard warning light switch or even back feeding from the instrument pack. If I was you I’d pop out the radio and find the blue header that has the green/red and green/white wires coming out of it. Connections 1 and 6 go to the RH indicators, we know you’ll have volts there because the lights are on. So find out where the power is coming from, check connections 2, 3, 4 and 5 to see if any of them are live permanently. So connection 2 is from the hazard switch, 3 is from the instrument pack, 4 is the indicator switch and 5 is from the alarm ECU. These will all be live at the header because that’s how headers work, so start unplugging things to interrupt the source, start with the hazard switch, they do odd things by all accounts.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1025109 18th Feb 2024 6:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1