↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Fitting second fuse box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
Fitting second fuse box
I've picked up a second puma under-seat fuse box (actually from a '97 MG but it's exactly the same, great recycling by JLR!).
Now I am looking for an education from you guys!

Click image to enlarge

The easiest way to fit the box would be to piggy back it from the existing fusebox and fit them side by side under the drivers seat. Would that lead to too much current draw on the existing cable? According to the wiring diagram the cable from battery to fuse box is 10mm^2.
The fuses fitted in the box add up to 400amps, obviously the actual current draw would be less but how do you calculate the actual cable size required for the box? I doubt I will use anywhere near the full capacity of the box but it's nice that it is there just in case.

Any help would be gratefully received. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #423604 14th May 2015 9:01pm
munch90

England 
trouble is with that fuse box is the feeds out are on multi plugs so connecting to it isn't as easy as a proper aux fusebox even if you have the multiplug it would mean joints in wires or unpicking the pins
+ your probeley never use half the screw down fuses as they are mainly for heavy loads

I like the idea of using the same style fuse box , but in practice not very practical

like I say I like the idea but wouldn't be my choice of fuse boxes
Post #423612 14th May 2015 9:16pm
TDCi Guy

Without the multi plug you can just use standard spade connectors on the lower rated terminals and the rarer (but available on ebay etc) 8mm spade connectors for the large fused terminals.

Click image to enlarge

I agree about the large fuses being unused but tbh I doubt I'll use all of the 7 smaller fuses either. For what the box cost me (1.50 on ebay) I think it's well worth it. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #423621 14th May 2015 9:30pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Whilst your idea will work the individual spade connectors on the terminals sound a bit 'Slapdash' on a 2010 Defender. The multiplug would also have offered more protection against ingress of dirt and any moisture and vibration. It may have been cheap but so will be the finished product I think in my capacity as a sparky.

TDCi Guy wrote:
For what the box cost me (1.50 on ebay) I think it's well worth it.

'Polishing a 1:50 turd' would be my term of phrase. No offence meant.

As long as you are happy. Thumbs Up

With regards to cable size total up the amount of amperage draw of the extra circuits you are going to use and add 50% for spare capacity for any future additions as a rule of thumb and size the cable to that. You may wish to consider adding a second battery or a second mega fuse (I fitted a 60 amp one to my auxillary fusebox) if your current draw will be high. 6mm^2 cable would probably be more than sufficient in your case. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #423645 14th May 2015 10:53pm
TDCi Guy

No offence taken (just!) Laughing My "bright idea" seems to be being shot down in flames, never mind I will persevere and maybe in the future add a snazzy blue sea box or similar.

So I would be best running a new cable from the battery rather than piggybacking off the existing feed to the drivers seat box? Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #423653 14th May 2015 11:17pm
theorangebandit

Run a new feed direct from the pos on the battery and earth that box to a new earth on the chassis and you'll be fine, the extra current draw will not then affect the feed for the other fuse box. You've bought a fuse box regardless of wether you plan to use the large fuses you have a feed in fuse box. Take out the fuses you don't need. Even a good place to store spares, if you don't plan to use the large fuses you could modify to mount more spare fuses in a foam strip.

I've noticed in my short time here that if an idea isn't popular it'll be shot down. Electricity is simple and I'm sure you'll only be running a few light accessories so little risk of over loading.
Post #423675 15th May 2015 7:13am
munch90

England 
im not knocking or shooting down his idea , I like the idea but there are better,neater ways of adding a extra fusebox , I was giving my advice/opinion

why it wouldnt be my choice

1 too big for the amount of fuses he wants
2 too many large fuses
3 connections are underneath
4 harder to mount
5 no negitive connections

sorry but if no one gave there ideas/advice/opinions there is no point in a forum ( but we are not always right Rolling with laughter )
Post #423710 15th May 2015 9:28am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Bow down

Apologies I was knocking the idea as I thought the basic concept had been drawn up on the back of a fag packet and it was the 1:50 price that was governing the "I will make it work scenario!"

Running a separate feed as stated is best and protect that with its own mega fuse. There are many people myself included that will offer sound and good advice and honest opinions (sorry if it was a little blunt).

As Munch stated there are indeed better, neater and intrinsically safer ways of adding a second fuse box. Shelve this one and wait until you have the funds and/or plans for a better one perhaps?

This was mine in the development stage which included enclosing the fusebox in an IP65 enclosure of its own ......The megafuse is rated at 60 amps and the negative return is also taken directly from the battery. I also included my spotlight relays in the enclosure leaving enough room for more if and when needed and ran in extra cables underneath the truck for any future additions whilst I was under there.

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #423729 15th May 2015 10:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1